Questions on a small trailer sailor. - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Questions on a small trailer sailor.

Whilst actively engaged in searching for a larger (32-36ft) sailboat I have the prospect of purchasing a smaller trailer sailor to utilize in the meantime. I am interested in a boat that raising and lowering of the mast can be performed single-handed and launched easily. Of the choices that are available to me in the area, there are 3 that seem to fit well.
1. Cape Dory 19 typhoon- $7000
2. Chrysler 22- $3000
4. Catalina 22- $4000
I have only seen pictures of the boats and they all seem to be in relatively good condition. I would utilize the boat as a day sailor and occasional weekender on a large lake. The Chrysler looks cavernous compared to the Cape Dory, the Catalina is the newest with all the amenities. Knowing that boats are easy to buy and hard to sell, which boat would be the best for long term satisfaction and resale if I have to keep it for awhile? By the way, the Cape Dory is just beautiful to look at but twice as expensive. How do they compare sailing wise? Your thoughts, suggestions and musings...Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Above 5 knots

Dock
Re: Questions on a small trailer sailor.

I will mention that day sailing a Catalina 22, or Chrysler 22 (like meaning launch and retrieve on the same day) will be a handful for you.
I daysailed my Capri 22 a couple times and it was an exhausting day. The Capri 22 is similar to the Cat 22 in amount of work to launch.

I would say you may want to stay towards the 19, or less range.

Precision 18, or victoria, compac 19, or the like would be a good source.
jephotog likes this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #3 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Interesting. I will take that into consideration.

post #4 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Of the three the Typhoon would be the hardest to launch and retrieve from a trailer. While a pretty boat it won't sail as well in light to moderate conditions as the Catalina 22. Some of the early Typhoons had a keel stepped mast making them especially hard to trailer. $7,000 is a very high price as well.

Chrysler's generally were not constructed as well as the Catalina 22, but at this point, maintenance and wear and tear is more important in evaluating the condition of a boat this old.

As others have suggested, there are a lot of good trailerable designs out there, but 22 feet is a pretty big boat to step the mast single handed.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #5 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Another thing to look for or consider is a boatyard or marina that allows for mast up storage. That way you only have to step the mast once a season unless you want to take the boat somewhere. I had a Chrysler 22 as my first boat, I enjoyed it.

Some other boats to consider if you wanted a capable trailerable boat is a Montgomery 17 or Potter 19. You can launch a boat this size in 30-45 minutes, expect close to two hours to launch a larger boat.
SailingUphill likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

I had a Jaguar 22 which was a UK built version of the Catalina 22. I sailed her for two years from the trailer. Mostly I raised and lowered the mast single handed.

I made a simple wooden X to fit in the back of the cockpit floor to carry the mast on the road.

I would start buy moving the mast back so the base was in the hinge with the pin through. Now standing in the cockpit I would lift the mast a bit with my shoulder and work the X forward. When the X was against the bulkhead lift it so it sits on the cockpit side seats. Make notches in the base of the legs to prevent the them slipping. Now standing on the cabin roof you can lift and walk forward until the mast is vertical. The shrouds are already in place. Now keep some tension on the forestay as you walk it forward. You can have a line through the stem fitting to the forestay to pull on but from memory mostly I just walked the forstay up to the bow and fastened it.

Mine had hank on headsails. If you have a roller furler I think you would need a helper to manage that.

The Jaguar/Catalinas are great little boats as well as weekend sails around england I trailed it up to Scotland one year and sailed from Troon to Stornoway and back. Next year it was down to the Adriatic.
post #7 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Sailnet Vendor

Dock

There's an important distinction between "transportable" (takes a long time to set up and break down) and "trailerable". If you want to daysail a trailerable for daysailing, think small, uncomplicated, lifting keel or swing keel, and easy to rig.

For 20 minute set-up and 30 minute break-down:
Potter 15, Montgomery 15 or any Compac with the "boom tender" option.

For pocket cruisers with a cabin, set up in under an hour and break down in under 1.25 hours (after you have practiced a bit)
Potter 19, Montgomery 17, Precision, Hunter 22.2, Compac with the "boom tender" system, Holders, etc. lots of 1970's trailer sailors, mostly under 22 feet.

Condition is the most important thing in any boat that's older than 12 years. People let trailer sailors sit in their yards for years because it costs nothing to leave them. During that time, the mast is corroding where the stainless fasteners contact aluminum, tires rot, lines age, and leaks cause core rot. And, IMO, good sails that aren't baggy or shrunk are well worth paying more for - they make an old boat sail like a new one. A boat that's been babied is worth thousands more when you buy it and when you sell it.

Head on over to the Trailer Sailor Bulletin Board for lots of good information and opinions on the range of what folks who trailersailor choose for their boats. Everything from "transportable" to "trailerable"

Judy B
Trailer sailing for 30 years. Sailing for 50+ years.
Minnesail likes this.

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran

Last edited by jblumhorst; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:22 PM. Reason: add more info
post #8 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I'm not a neutral observer, since I have a Catalina 22, but I say go for the Catalina 22

You said it's the newest and best equipped, and since they are so common there's a good market for them so it would probably be the easiest to sell.

People who trailer theirs all the time say they can get the mast up and everything rigged in 30 minutes. I dunno if I believe them. I only rig mine a couple times a year so I'm always a bit rusty at it, but it takes me about 90 minutes to set up or take down. I have some extra rigging like lazy jacks and single line reefing that make it a bit more trouble.

I *can* rig mine solo, but I prefer to have a helper for a few minutes during the mast raising. I've literally asked strangers out for a walk to come and help me by holding a line.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #9 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Above 5 knots

Dock

I have some familiarity with stepping trailerable masts. The Cat 22 is doable alone with a minimum amount of gin pole or A-frame, but its a time consuming PITA to do.
Attached Thumbnails
aframe.jpg   aframe2.jpg   20131015_113512.jpg   IMG_20130430_142147_008.jpg  
Minnesail likes this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!

Last edited by SailingUphill; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:03 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Great photos, thanks for that. It really gives perspective of what I would be up against.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in