Can anyone identify what this boat is? - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeff_H
  • 1 Post By alanr77

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Can anyone identify what this boat is?

Been looking at this beast for weeks while I do a refit and for the life of me I can’t figure out what it is. Aluminum hull, named ThunderHead. The extreme tumblehome speaks to an early design for sure. S&S maybe?Can anyone identify what this boat is?-410617ce-9250-4542-94eb-8bef9a6dec25_1560901821330.jpeg
Attached Thumbnails
E2D932E2-F948-434B-9BC9-F2E4F4BEB8F0_1560901874952.jpeg   0A2FD15A-6CF1-4303-BC6D-8F043059C609_1560901915112.jpeg   5DF9CD4D-97B9-437B-9DAB-9B403C212513_1560901947465.jpeg   375EB20B-D374-42EB-AD92-1ACF8AD245AD_1560901978120.jpeg  

SV Salinity
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Can anyone identify what this boat is?

Hughes maybe. @paulinnanaimo could likely verify.

Last edited by Arcb; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:13 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

If I had to guess that looks like a crudely modified version of one of the S&S Maxi's. My first guess that is the old Tenacious (Dora, War Baby) but if not then she might be Running Tide or one of her sisterships.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

post #4 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Hughes maybe. @paulinnanaimo could likely verify.
I understand why you might say Hughes since a lot of their boats were S&S designs but Hughes never made a boat with coffee grinders. That is a big boat and probably alum.

Jeff
Arcb likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #5 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Fair enough Jeff, I can not gauge size on my phone too well.
post #6 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
If I had to guess that looks like a crudely modified version of one of the S&S Maxi's. My first guess that is the old Tenacious (Dora, War Baby) but if not then she might be Running Tide or one of her sisterships.
Yeah she’s definitely big. 50+ easily though hard to tell tucked away like it is. Definitely aluminum. Figured the old school fin and skeg rudder put her post Intrepid at least.

The crude modifications look like someone tried to turn a race boat into a cruiser. Wouldn’t be the first for sure. Don’t think I’d want coffee grinders on my cruising boat. Lol.

Always dislike seeing odd ball or older designs like this wasting away in back lots of boat yards. I’m methodically going through the S&S design book looking for a match. She’s got pretty lines, home built dogbox and solar mounts notwithstanding.

SV Salinity

Last edited by alanr77; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:18 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

@Jeff_H

Damn Jeff I think you nailed it. S&S Design 2089 matches what I’m seeing pretty darn close. It’s the design T Turner did the Fastnet in 1979 on. We may have a winner here.
Arcb likes this.

SV Salinity
post #8 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Dora IV
Attached Thumbnails
047A9174-E082-491B-9AA9-4C609E73A694_1560906867588.jpg  

SV Salinity
post #9 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanr77 View Post
The crude modifications look like someone tried to turn a race boat into a cruiser. Wouldnt be the first for sure. Dont think Id want coffee grinders on my cruising boat. Lol.

Always dislike seeing odd ball or older designs like this wasting away in back lots of boat yards. Im methodically going through the S&S design book looking for a match. Shes got pretty lines, home built dogbox and solar mounts notwithstanding.
Two quick observations:
1) Coffee Grinders:
There seems to be a trend towards bigger and bigger cruising boats. When I was a kid, a family of 4 might do a circumnavigation in a 35 to 38 footer. In the 1980's it seemed like 42 feet was a sweet spot. These days it seems like there are new production 45 to 60 foot production cruising boats hitting the market on a regular basis. Boats that size have huge sail plans that require handling a lot of heavily loaded line. The knee jerk design approach seems to be electrical or hydraulic driven winches, furlers, ground tackle and the like. I sort of get that in terms of ease and speed making adjustments. But to me, a large part of sailing is the physicality of it all, using your mind and your muscles to grapple with nature and the physics of it all. In that regard, I really like the idea of having a coffee grinder to be able to manage the sail plan using my own muscles as the power source. In my mind, more of these larger cruisers should have them rather than less.

2) It is very sad to see a boat with this pedigree stashed away in a junkyard jungle, surrounded with those ignominious vessels in the picture. Tenacious and her sisterships were the pinnacle of yacht design for that era. These were big powerful boats that could withstand tremendously abusive conditions. And while we now know that compared to the better designs that followed, these were pretty mediocre designs in terms of ease of handling, seakindliness, and performance, they were none the less the best of their generation. I saw Tenacious at Bunky Helfrich's boat yard on Hilton Head in South Carolina where she was sent to be rebuilt and sold after the 1979 Fastnet. She was anything but unscathed. But sailed by a skilled and capable crew, she was none the less raced all the way around the course, returning with the crew she left with. While it is often argued that Tenacious never saw the worst of the storm, she none the less saw enough of the foul weather that bringing the crew home safe, is still a great feat performed by Tenacious, her skipper, and her crew.

By the way, where was that picture taken?

Respectfully,
Jeff

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in