96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 Old 07-03-2019 Thread Starter

Boat rage is real

Exhibit A:

https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/artic...king-raw-video

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 07-03-2019

Re: Boat rage is real

Ten bucks says they waked him...
post #3 of 69 Old 07-03-2019
Senior Moment Member

"Extensive damage"?

Right.

First time I've seen some gelcoat scratches called that.
mbianka likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

post #4 of 69 Old 07-03-2019

Want to hear about boat rage? Try taking ICW near Myrtle Beach on a weekend. Few passes of those big power boats kicking up four foot wake in a narrow channel and you will likely start having an episode...
zeehag and mbianka like this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #5 of 69 Old 07-03-2019

big power boat guy does not know how he pissed off small power boat guy. thats the real tragedy.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #6 of 69 Old 07-03-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Want to hear about boat rage? Try taking ICW near Myrtle Beach on a weekend. Few passes of those big power boats kicking up four foot wake in a narrow channel and you will likely start having an episode...
A lot of those big power boats, especially sport fishermen, can't go much slower than a speed that makes a 4' wake.
You can't imagine the frustration as the captain on one of those boats has to slow down from 35 knots for a small, slow boat, only to have him continue on at 5 knots.
If that boat won't slow down to an idle, the powerboat can't get by at minimum speed/wake, so eventually, the powerboat gets frustrated and speeds up, to pass, and hence a big wake.
It is 100% unreasonable for a boat that can only do 4 or 5 knots to impede the progress of a faster vessel for no good reason at all. If the powerboat can slow down for the encounter, so can the sailboat, if they want things to go as smoothly as possible.
It's always so easy to blame the rich guy on the big powerboat instead of doing your fair share to minimize any difficulties in a passing situation.
I've done uncountable trips up and down the ditch and this scenario has repeated itself hundreds of times, with me getting shown the finger and the other guy getting waked, and it all could have been averted by the sailboat just slowing down to idle for a few seconds!
Of course, there are those boat operators who don't know or care, but it shouldn't be all, unless you are the one creating the problem.
Jeff_H and wymbly1971 like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
Jeff_H (07-03-2019)
post #7 of 69 Old 07-03-2019

Im certain many powerboaters do not know.
Im also certain many do know...and give a sht
post #8 of 69 Old 07-03-2019

Funny, I always want the 10 minutes of events before someone whips out their phone to start filming. To make someone mad enough to do that, the big boat must have really poked their finger into that guy's chest.

If you can't operate your boat without "waking" someone, you should be at the helm. Either keep your distance or slow down.
post #9 of 69 Old 07-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
A lot of those big power boats, especially sport fishermen, can't go much slower than a speed that makes a 4' wake.
You can't imagine the frustration as the captain on one of those boats has to slow down from 35 knots for a small, slow boat, only to have him continue on at 5 knots.
If that boat won't slow down to an idle, the powerboat can't get by at minimum speed/wake, so eventually, the powerboat gets frustrated and speeds up, to pass, and hence a big wake.
It is 100% unreasonable for a boat that can only do 4 or 5 knots to impede the progress of a faster vessel for no good reason at all. If the powerboat can slow down for the encounter, so can the sailboat, if they want things to go as smoothly as possible.
It's always so easy to blame the rich guy on the big powerboat instead of doing your fair share to minimize any difficulties in a passing situation.
Actually, I always move out of their way to let them pass. They very rarely slow down enough for my speed to be a factor prolonging their insufferable frustration of slow motion. My heart bleeds for them. And I always wave, even when I would rather not. Do they observe the No Wake signs? Rarely, except for marinas and bridges, but on many occasions I have experienced power boats rushing to beat me to the bridge and leaving big wake in the bridge area. And some power boats create bigger waves when they do slow down. And in some areas if I was to slow down for every power boat I would not be moving at all.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #10 of 69 Old 07-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfsail View Post
To make someone mad enough to do that, the big boat must have really poked their finger into that guy's chest.

Not the way I read it. “Kennedy, 39, was arraigned Monday on charges of operating while intoxicated...”

How hard do you need to poke a belligerent drunk in a boat?
olson34 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in