How many boats carry liferafts? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 68 Old 07-04-2019
Old soul

Re: How many boats carry liferafts?

Good questions Bill. I’ve been in discussions with long time cruiser Evans Starzinger over at CF. He has done some studies on life rafts, including outright failure rates. I can’t recall (nor quickly find) the specific data, but my recollection is that they were high — on the scale of 30% not even activating. These were in controlled conditions with life rafts apparently properly certified. He also looked at the number of deployment failures, and came to the conclusion a life raft is not a good idea.

I was also recently speaking with a fellow who was involved in a raft re-certification. He too said the rafts he saw had a surprisingly high rate of failure. He is not a fan of rafts.

Add to this fact that there area number of reported incidents of finding the mother ship, damaged but still floating, but with no one left on board and the life raft gone. The crew is never found.

And finally, consider the psychological temptation a raft presents. All hell is breaking loose. Things are very bad on the mother ship. You are exhausted, depressed and likely making very poor choices. Does the life raft start to look like the silver bullet? Instead of focusing on saving the mothership, does your attention shift to the raft? We all know you’re only suppose to step UP into a life raft from your sinking mothership, but is that what really happens? I doubt it… And realize, if the sea state is such that it can take down your mothership, the likelihood that you are any safer in a life raft is, well, doubtful.

I don’t have any definite answer to any of these questions. I know if I ever really needed one, I’d be happy to have the option. But I also question the cost-benefit side, and I seriously wonder about the psychological dangers these magic rubber boats may present to me.
eherlihy and Minnesail like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 07-04-2019 at 08:38 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOReilly For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (07-04-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 68 Old 07-04-2019

Strong supporter for people to have inspected rafts of high quality. Once you are outside a bay or off the shelf immersion usually means death from hypothermia rather than drowning given most folks have PDFs. Seems to be an inverse relationship between latitude and resources of SAR so being in the tropics likely doesn’t increase chance of survival.
Sailboats sink in a few minutes. Fire means death if you don’t immediately evacuate or control it even on a multi. Exposure or being washed off kills sailors on inverted multis.
On protocol varies depending upon how many are aboard but little from locale. If two the raft, ditch bag are placed unemcombered in the cockpit. Due to set up raft the pull string is already attached. Our epirb is in a bracket accessible in the cockpit. This takes 10-15 seconds. Then this person calls for help. If no response helps the other but returns to call for help as situation allows.
The other person deals with the emergency. Our boat has a collision bulkhead and integral tanks. First check the bilge. Make sure both pumps are running and discern direction from where ingress is coming. There’s a ball valve between collision bulkhead and accommodations. It is left open. Check if ingress is from there. If so close valve. Next check each through hull. Last open floor boards. Decide can you control leak or do you need to abandon ship. Knowing on the boat (even if flooded but floating) is safer than the raft.
Same beginning for fire except all extinguishers are collected and placed at the disposal of the person fighting the fire. We follow requirements so there’s always one handy but people often not realize multiple ones may be required.
Our thinking is you step off the boat up to the raft. That means the boat is awash. It’s the last resort. So you want everything set up for deployment. Then everyone can focus on saving the ship and the souls aboard.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #13 of 68 Old 07-04-2019

Will note you canít work the boat in a Gumby suit. So when in northern or near high lat carry cold water immersion working suit like the oil workers wear. Recently flipped over to the one Mustang offers as its considerably less expensive than the commercial suits. Still hands and feet arenít covered. But I wear my dubarrys and winter gloves. Warm as toast. Integral flotation and harness. Lots of pockets. Zips off easily for those trips to the head. A win all around.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #14 of 68 Old 07-04-2019

Misspoke it a stearns exposure suit and harness is attached after market. Best one I had was from imhoff.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #15 of 68 Old 07-04-2019

I've been thinking about this for a while ...

It's always safer to stay _on_ the boat if possible. I can only see 2 reasons to abandon: 1 uncontrollable fire, 2 boat sinks (not "sinking", but SINKS)

Fire is a tough one. We all need to have extinguishers, but most of us have a lot of flammable stuff on board as well. It's not unrealistic to figure that we can't have enough extinguishing power to guarantee that we can put out any possible fire. So we do as much as we can.

But preventing sinking is a different story. There's so much out there about how to properly maintain thru-hulls and what to do if a seacock fails, etc. Additionally, we have lots of talk about different techniques for stopping leaks caused by collisions and other hull damage.

But what about a "life raft" for the boat itself? Instead of abandoning ship for a smaller rubber ship, why not use the same inflatable capacity to keep the mothership afloat? How much volume in compressed air and emergency bladders would it take to create enough buoyancy to guarantee that your ship can't sink? For my 15000 pound Tartan, it would take 2000 gallons of air to keep her afloat. That's approximately 4 standard sized scuba tanks. Add in the size of the collapsed bladders and you'd have a system that would probably be 2x the size of a typical life raft, but capable of keeping the entire boat afloat no matter how bad the leak.

Practical? I have no idea. I'm tempted to say that it's not because otherwise someone would have done it.
wymbly1971 likes this.
post #16 of 68 Old 07-04-2019
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

I don't have a liferaft.

I do have a good hypalon RIB which is stored inverted on the foredeck on passage.

If I had a choice I would always plan to get into the RIB rather than a liferaft. The failure rate on liferafts is pretty scary.

There is only one situation where the liferaft might win out and that would be where the boat sinks in seconds without warning and I did not have enough time to free the lashings and launch the RIB. Mind you there is a recent incident of the East coast of the USA where a cruising boat was just about awash and the decision was made to abandon ship and get into the liferaft. They deployed the liferaft and watched in horror as the attachment points peeled off and the liferaft blew away.
post #17 of 68 Old 07-04-2019 Thread Starter

My brother in law was on board the Winston Churchill when she went down in the Bass Straight during the '92(?) Sydney-Hobart yacht race. It is a harrowing story indeed, and there is no doubt that all hands would have been lost were it not for the liferafts. The classic wood yacht went down very quickly after she came down hard off a massive wave and sprung some planks. (At least that's the theory). While the rafts did save lives, they did not perform well in the extreme conditions, in fact I believe that incident lead to a number of changes in liferaft design.

Of course that is an extreme situation, that I am likely never going to find myself in. Some would say that none of those yachts should have been out in those conditions, and most cruisers wouldn't have done so.

I cant imagine what would cause a well found cruising yacht to sink quickly aside from extreme weather. Certainly a through hull failure should not do it. It would take a long time to sink a 40ft boat with a 1" hole.
We once hit a large log at over 7kts on a 30ft boat and it barely scratched her, let alone holed her. We also hit a rock at speed on that same boat, and while that DID cause her to take on some water because the back of the keel cracked the hull at the root, it was completely manageable and we were able to finish the race.
The only situation I could see needing to abandon ship on short notice would be fire, so I think it is better to focus on preventing fire, and being able to fight fire rather than being able to abandon ship into a raft. If the fire cannot be controlled then I see no reason the dinghy would not serve as a liferaft.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #18 of 68 Old 07-04-2019
Old as Dirt!

We carry a Revere Elite 4-man Ocean raft, together with a "Bail-Out Bag" in our starboard stern locker whenever we travel outside the limits of Tampa Bay and within during the winter months when the water is very cold. It is the heaviest raft my (much) better half can handle in an emergency in the event I am injured or otherwise unable to launch the raft myself and we/she needs to get off the boat. One of my greater fears has been the event of a fire aboard rather than a sinking in which case one must absolutely vacate the boat without delay. Our bail-out bag--attached to the raft via a long tether--is also equipped with an EPIRB and hand held VHF, just in case.

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #19 of 68 Old 07-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Thereís a ball valve between collision bulkhead and accommodations. It is left open.
Interesting. What is the purpose of that valve, and why do you leave it open?

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #20 of 68 Old 07-04-2019

Itís a just like a standard through hull fitting. It allows me to know if water is coming in the most forward part of the boat. I have a low and higher placed bilge pumps. They generate a warning light at the nav station and the cockpit. Occasionally the low goes on if condensation from the AC or other source collects enough. But if either goes on and stays on I know I have water coming in. My floor boards are all have turn locks to prevent them from wandering if thereís a knockdown. So this set up letís me know if water coming in as my floor boards canít go floating. In fact much earlier.
They say common places for ingress are instrument hull piercings (especially speedo and less so depth), then through hulls, then collision. I have a salt water manifold to eliminate a collection of through hulls but still have a few. Fortunately all in near each other. The valve for the collision bulkhead is under the same floorboard as the depth and speedo and wash down and salt supply for forward head(unused). Itís fairly easy to exercise every except the head exhausts.
Right down my issue is the very heavy rains in Grenada. Weíre on the hard and have a fresh water leak. Seems from two bolts that hold down the traveler and a pipe used as a wire run to the hard Bimini.
The sailors bible
Keep the people on the boat
Keep the water out
Keep the boat moving.
Keep on keeping on.
Minnesail likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in