Where do you start? - SailNet Community
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-07-2019 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Where do you start?

So I have just landed in Malta, Europe to 'take delivery' of our new to us boat (A Moody 425).

By take delivery I mean she's sitting in the boatyard and I'm sitting in the cockpit in 100+ degrees sweating, hugely excited and wondering where I start!

So my question is that, when you first bought your boat, where did you start? What do you prioritise ? Getting to know a boat takes time and as someone who knew every inch of my last boat and every little sound, smell and bump this feels daunting.

Don't get me wrong. I have about 10 lists in front of me and a survey report, but prioritising what needs investigating, what you want to understand and where to begin tinkering on a new to you boat has me running from locker to locker, pulling things out and mostly just writing more lists!

Sal Paradise and Minnesail like this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-07-2019

Re: Where do you start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
So I have just landed in Malta, Europe to 'take delivery' of our new to us boat (A Moody 425).

By take delivery I mean she's sitting in the boatyard and I'm sitting in the cockpit in 100+ degrees sweating, hugely excited and wondering where I start!

So my question is that, when you first bought your boat, where did you start? What do you prioritise ? Getting to know a boat takes time and as someone who knew every inch of my last boat and every little sound, smell and bump this feels daunting.

Don't get me wrong. I have about 10 lists in front of me and a survey report, but prioritising what needs investigating, what you want to understand and where to begin tinkering on a new to you boat has me running from locker to locker, pulling things out and mostly just writing more lists!

Fabulous problem!

Can't be answered without more information. I will give it a try.

Start with a calendar with the end date.... to be launch.

First get the bottom work out of the way and move to other systems many of which can be worked on in water at dockside or at anchor.
Check steering, AP and get spares
Check dink and OB, spares

Divide the work into systems such as:
propulsion: get engine running, get spares, make inventory, get proper tools
navigation electronics: plotter, radar, AIS, mobile devices... including manuals test them
Electrics: spares.. wire, connectors, fuses, fuse blocks, connectors, meter, crimper, heat shrink
Transducers: speed. depth wind... check, get spares... inventory
Communications: test all radios, program DSC. TEST
plumbing: top up tanks, review piping, get spares, hoses, fittings, valves, clamps, filters...inventory. test water pumps, head, shower pump, BILGE PUMPS
Rigging and sails: hoist sails and inspect, install reefs,, vang, mainsheet, traveler runners etc. Get spare line of all sizes on board... Check dock lines. SPARES, check rigging tension, get some spare wire and stalocks, spare blocks, snatch blocks, shackles, clevis and carter pins
Anchor: check windlass, anchor shackle and mark chain, get spare anchor and shackles and nylon rode

Make time estimates for the systems and spares assembly. Allow for 2x the estimated time.

Try to find competent help... amazing how much a second person can help with many things.

Good luck!
chall03, Sal Paradise and Rezz like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 07-07-2019 at 03:27 PM.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-07-2019

Congrats!

We recently did a similar journey - bought a boat on the hard in Antigua, flew down to it with a duffle bag, and had to figure it out.

Since we were immediately taking it on a 1500nm delivery back to the US, our priorities were to inspect the rigging, buy anything critically necessary to safely get the boat that distance, go over the engines and their systems, go over the electrics and electronics, and figure out how to minimally operate the boat and its systems.

On the hard, I rewired much of the electronics and some of the electrics because they had been installed incorrectly. Recommissioned the autopilot so the compass wasn't 50* off, and we were no longer a heavy displacement power boat using a drive unit that the boat didn't have, lifted the engine off the raw water intake hose so that it had full flow and the engine no longer vibrated badly, tightened the loose prop nuts so that the propellers didn't fly off, did a few other critical stuff, then left for an overnight shakedown to St. Thomas. There we purchased a new main halyard so we could get the main up and down, but left all the other rotten running rigging.

Then took it to the US, where we are doing a complete refit. Luckily, nothing serious broke on the way.

If you are staying in that area and not planning a long delivery, then just get the basic systems working, put it in the water and start to live on it. You will slowly find out what else needs to be done as you poke around in systems that are actively being used.

Don't make any large changes until you have seriously spent a lot of time on the boat. Some things you might not like now may show themselves to be brilliant later. Our case is different - we have been cruising full-time for the past 11yrs on a similar boat, so we know exactly what we want to change and add in this new one.

Get the minimal done you need to launch, then enjoy the first bloom of new boat ownership. It is the best time because you don't know what you don't know...

Mark
chall03 and SanderO like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat

post #4 of 21 Old 07-07-2019 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Start with a calendar with the end date.... to be launch.

First get the bottom work out of the way and move to other systems many of which can be worked on in water at dockside or at anchor.
Check steering, AP and get spares
Check dink and OB, spares

Divide the work into systems such as:
propulsion: get engine running, get spares, make inventory, get proper tools
navigation electronics: plotter, radar, AIS, mobile devices... including manuals test them
Electrics: spares.. wire, connectors, fuses, fuse blocks, connectors, meter, crimper, heat shrink
Transducers: speed. depth wind... check, get spares... inventory
Communications: test all radios, program DSC. TEST
plumbing: top up tanks, review piping, get spares, hoses, fittings, valves, clamps, filters...inventory. test water pumps, head, shower pump, BILGE PUMPS
Rigging and sails: hoist sails and inspect, install reefs,, vang, mainsheet, traveler runners etc. Get spare line of all sizes on board... Check dock lines. SPARES, check rigging tension, get some spare wire and stalocks, spare blocks, snatch blocks, shackles, clevis and carter pins
Anchor: check windlass, anchor shackle and mark chain, get spare anchor and shackles and nylon rode

Make time estimates for the systems and spares assembly. Allow for 2x the estimated time.

Try to find competent help... amazing how much a second person can help with many things.

Good luck!
Thankyou!

Bottom is clean and the hull has been given a good buff to boot. Launch date is in three weeks!

I like the systems lists and thank you it helps to focus my energy. The reality is though that if I get a quarter of of that done I will probably be happy!

post #5 of 21 Old 07-07-2019 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If you are staying in that area and not planning a long delivery, then just get the basic systems working, put it in the water and start to live on it. You will slowly find out what else needs to be done as you poke around in systems that are actively being used.

Don't make any large changes until you have seriously spent a lot of time on the boat. Some things you might not like now may show themselves to be brilliant later. Our case is different - we have been cruising full-time for the past 11yrs on a similar boat, so we know exactly what we want to change and add in this new one.

Get the minimal done you need to launch, then enjoy the first bloom of new boat ownership. It is the best time because you don't know what you don't know...
1500nm isn't a bad slog in a new to you boat!

My plan is similar I think. Get her into the water and sail to Greece.

But the temptation to tinker and go off on boat work tangents is strong.......

post #6 of 21 Old 07-07-2019

Make sure everything is working... then make sure you have your spares and tools... manuals etc. Spare pumps and impellers and fuses very important.

The sail including motoring on day sails. Get to know how the boat moves / responds to different conditions. Hand steer to know how to maneuver the boat. PRACTICE this as your need this skill for getting along side, anchoring and getting into a slip (yuck).

As you get to know your boat work on your "get familiar with systems" a little bit each day... If you want to work on one... anchor early and do the project. Practice your anchoring... you want to be very comfortable on the hook.

Many projects are low priority... cosmetics for example. More important for things to work correctly and you are in control they looking bristol.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #7 of 21 Old 07-07-2019
Master Mariner

I'd probably put thru-hulls and their hoses/hose clamps near the top of my list. Map, inspect and get them all opening/closing smoothly.
When I bought this boat I did a major rewiring of the engine room. I chose to spend the first winter (purchased her in August) in RI rather than rush south because I knew I'd get much less work done if I was in the Caribbean. Wire, batteries, etc were also much cheaper in RI.
New chain was also on my list, but much of what I successively redid needed to be established after some sailing, which in my case was the trip south. I did go aloft to check the rig and had a rigger for a second opinion, which did help when we hit 70 knots of wind in a small storm when going south.
Unlike most, I've had a great deal of experience getting on a boat completely new to me for deliveries (mostly bareboats at the end of their contract) and being underway within a day or two, without much time to check them out, not that there was any money available for repairs anyway.
I think it best to do what you think is absolutely necessary, then put to sea and sail the boat very gently until you gain confidence in those things you didn't get around to or think were of major importance. At least in the Med, they are mostly just short trips with plenty of competent help in almost every port.
One serious consideration, in my opinion, when departing Malta, is the problem of the migrant boats. I would do everything in your power to leave in a window when you won't have the possibility of running into one and having the moral dilemma as to what to do should you encounter one or more. Even knowing it would be fatal to take on 50 or 100 migrants, how do you pass them by knowing they will most probably perish?
Good luck and have fun with the new boat.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 21 Old 07-08-2019 Thread Starter
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I'd probably put thru-hulls and their hoses/hose clamps near the top of my list. Map, inspect and get them all opening/closing smoothly.
When I bought this boat I did a major rewiring of the engine room. I chose to spend the first winter (purchased her in August) in RI rather than rush south because I knew I'd get much less work done if I was in the Caribbean. Wire, batteries, etc were also much cheaper in RI.
New chain was also on my list, but much of what I successively redid needed to be established after some sailing, which in my case was the trip south. I did go aloft to check the rig and had a rigger for a second opinion, which did help when we hit 70 knots of wind in a small storm when going south.
Unlike most, I've had a great deal of experience getting on a boat completely new to me for deliveries (mostly bareboats at the end of their contract) and being underway within a day or two, without much time to check them out, not that there was any money available for repairs anyway.
I think it best to do what you think is absolutely necessary, then put to sea and sail the boat very gently until you gain confidence in those things you didn't get around to or think were of major importance. At least in the Med, they are mostly just short trips with plenty of competent help in almost every port.
One serious consideration, in my opinion, when departing Malta, is the problem of the migrant boats. I would do everything in your power to leave in a window when you won't have the possibility of running into one and having the moral dilemma as to what to do should you encounter one or more. Even knowing it would be fatal to take on 50 or 100 migrants, how do you pass them by knowing they will most probably perish?
Good luck and have fun with the new boat.
Thanks Capta.

I know you do this kind of thing for a living and have done so for several years. Appreciate your insight.

From here we will sail straight north to Sicily, in daylight hours.

Day 2 is feeling better. Have opened every locker and began to make sense of where spares etc are and organise myself. Have began working through the seacocks and a (deck level) rig inspection.
capta likes this.

post #9 of 21 Old 07-08-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
S
. I have about 10 lists in front of me and a survey report, but prioritising what needs investigating, what you want to understand and where to begin tinkering on a new to you boat has me running from locker to locker, pulling things out and mostly just writing more lists!

Dump the boat in the water.

Dump the lists overboard.

GO FOR A SAIL!

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #10 of 21 Old 07-08-2019

You have survey report. A good survey report should indicate the priorities. The report should indicate which should be done before launching, after launching, before sailing long distances and things that are up to you. If you cannot find this type of information on your report, find a good surveyor.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in