Why Am I Here - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 110Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 50 Old 07-08-2019

Re: Why Am I Here

I find Sailnet more congenial than the alternatives. Iím active in both. CF has a deeper trove of historical information. But for discussing the more humane parts of sailing this place seems better. More ďsensitiveĒ posters?

But to add a different perspective I think a lot of want to be here not to ask questions but to be helpful. I think itís a deep human need to contribute to the tribe and SN gives us an opportunity to do that and feel good about ourselves.

I think there is room for both sites.
SanderO, bigdogandy, ottos and 2 others like this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 50 Old 07-08-2019

While I agree with some of the posters whoíve pointed out a decline in the once great sense of esprit de corps that SN had 5-10 years ago, I find it odd to posit CF as an alternative. In fact, Iíve never understood why CF is so much more active than SN. I see a lot of negativity, humblebrag, and know-it-allism over there, and itís been that way a long time. I find the typical thread on CF goes something like this:

OP: Is the sky blue?
Post 1: No, itís actually more of an azure.
Post 2: In my 5 circumnavigations and 30 years living aboard my oceangoing bluewater cutter I just finished refitting with a 1,200 watt solar array, a $5,000 watermaker, a 800AH LiFePO4 battery bank, and a Caribe RIB with a 20HP Yamaha outboard, Iíve never ever seen a blue sky.
Post 3: Poster 1, you are totally off base! The sky is technically cerulean.
Post 4: Those of us whoíve cast off the docklines know what color the sky really is. The dreamers and wannabees canít see what we see Ė and never will.
Post 5: Later this year Iíll be departing on a multi-year ocean voyage on my 28 foot classic plastic to find the answer. Iíll be using exclusively celestial navigation, lighting with oil lamps, wonít have refrigeration, and only have $25,000 in the bank.
Post 6: Poster 5, you belong in a nuthouse, not on CF! You need at least 250k in the bank and a minimum $100k boat with a built-in icemaker to even think about what youíre doing. Never mind that the Pardeys, Roths, etc. did it your way Ė we only support their way of doing things around here in theory, not in practice!
Post 7: If we perform a spectrographic analysis of the skyís color we find that the wavelength of the light received on an average day isÖ (launches into a multi-paragraph pseudo-scientific explanation of the color of the sky).

500 posts later the thread is still going but has now devolved into a spirited but pointless argument over anchors, batteries, or Rebel Heart.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30
post #13 of 50 Old 07-08-2019

Dock

From a moderators perspective it's really hard to know if someone is feeling hassled out by another member. We aren't mind readers.
So please, if it happens to you either report the post./posts or PM a mod and let us know so we can follow what's going on.

As for SailNet being quieter than in some previous years... Yes... But the statistics of posts may not show the quality. I recently reviewed a series of threads, one containing over 6,000 posts... The last 1,000 of which were just BS arguments by a Clique of members. Some revered this clique. I thought them wankers. They were finally all banned or put to pasture before I became a Mod.(i wouldn't have become one if they could ride rough-shod over me). So yes, SailNet is quieter, but better IMHO.

Don is a Grown Up so he can make his own informed choices, however I shall miss his posts and his way. Hopefully he will come back soon and is more than welcome.

Let me repeat, if someone hassles you then please tell me, Jeff, Donna, Rod or Rezz... We are hot and sexy but we can't mind read!

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #14 of 50 Old 07-08-2019

Rebel Heart sounds like the name of a redneck likker.
Prob good stuff...
post #15 of 50 Old 07-08-2019

I'm a newbie to SN. So new that I don't even know what CF is. So I come here for advice and most of the time I get it. Many times, I find what I'm looking for by reading thru the posts and don't even have to log in. I think that is a testament to the quality of information that has already been posted. So while the number of posts may be down (I don't know the statistics) that is not an indicator of the quality of the site.
MarkofSeaLife and Rezz like this.
post #16 of 50 Old 07-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I recently reviewed a series of threads, one containing over 6,000 posts...
Is this some sort of mod qualifying hazing ritual?

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #17 of 50 Old 07-08-2019

Don enjoy. Do your thing. Keep calm and sail on.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #18 of 50 Old 07-08-2019

Sailnet is the best, I have received tons of info and help here. All other Forums suck donkey balls!

Minnesail and Whalerus like this.
post #19 of 50 Old 07-08-2019

Call it a needed time out.
Sometimes we all could do with one..or more
post #20 of 50 Old 07-08-2019
Old soul

Multiple thoughtsÖ

I always find it amusing that people feel the need to make a show of their exit. Donít like it here, just stop reading and posting. Simple.

I know more today that I did when I first joined SN. I contribute where I can, ask about things that are mystifying me, and I listen (read) more. I sometimes get wrapped up in stupid discussions, but not that often. Maybe thatís b/c Iíve learned who to listen to and who to ignore.

I hang out here and CF. I like both. The main benefit of CF is the higher traffic, and a few really wonderful posters. But I find their approach to moderation more stifling, which ironically (I think) leads to greater conflict, not less. I generally find the discussion here more open and interesting. I put this down to the lighter moderation touch here.

BTW, I have nothing but admiration for mods on both CF and SN. Having done the task many times in many forums, I know how hard they work. Iíve said it many times, but I think mods should receive financial compensation (a stipend) for their work. These forums make money for the owners, yet most of the work is done by volunteers. Not fair.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in