Why Am I Here - SailNet Community
 110Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 07-08-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Why Am I Here

I first joined SN before I even started sailing when I was beginning my research into cruising. I read a while till I had enough to start asking questions. Shortly after that I got an insulting reply to a question and since SN wasn't helpful I left for CF. I don't think I read or posted here for like 5 years after that as CF had a lot more people and info available. But like a few here, when CF became a snowflake home I came back.

By the time I came back I was on my second cruising boat ownership and had done quite a bit of sailing. As such my question asking days when mostly behind me. But I also noted that for the most part there were only 20 posters here and mostly at the time is was Smack smacking that was the entertainment. So I started reading both SN and CF, but most questions I wanted to ask I did on CF. Now days most questions I have I do a google search on way before I post a forum thread question. Lots of those searches end up with CF thread links, but very very very few SN links.

Last night I started wondering why I'm even here. I don't read much useful info and the entertainment value mainly revolves around how much insults I feel reading. I especially like the once where you reply about someone's insult and they spin it into a new insult. It's sad that there re only a few here that if I knew you were in the same anchorage as I that would come by to say hi.

Last night my wife asked "Why do you read that and let it bother you?" It was a pretty good question and I thought about it and realized I don't know why. So that means I shouldn't anymore and am logging out.

To some of you, have a great sailing and cruising season. To some of the rest have fun on your keyboards.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 07-08-2019

Re: Why Am I Here

Hey, Don, don't go buddy.

Hey man, I brought you a beer in an anchorage in my neighborhood a couple of years ago.
post #3 of 50 Old 07-08-2019
Master Mariner

Funny, I had exactly the opposite experience. Posters questioning my veracity and information and even suggesting I was just an armchair sailor.
It seemed that the forum was mostly full of trolls, so I moved here and other than a very few like Smacky, it seemed to have some knowledgeable and helpful members, though generally, I'm on here to offer help based solely upon my experience, not suppositions or Googled answers.
I wish you well and I hope your sailing adventures are all pleasant.
Jeff_H, T37Chef, 4arch and 3 others like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 50 Old 07-08-2019
Administrator

Don,

Like Capta and yourself, I am mostly past the "asking questions stage". I come here and post to pass along the some of the lessons that I have learned over the years as a way of helping newer sailors. I do this to give back to all who have generously taught me or given me the opportunity to learn along the way. I also post as a way to test my ideas because to explain them to others I need to make sure that I fully understand and can clearly convey what I believe. The best days are when I am corrected or otherwise learn something new about a topic. Paying forward the gift of learning that I have been given, in itself, seems like a moral imperative to me in much the same way as rescuing a fellow sailor in need of help.

But we all participate on websites for our own reasons, and there does come a time when moving on may make sense to our own particular life. I hope that if you choose to leave, it is only a temporary hiatus, but I do wish you all the best whatever you do.

Respectfully,
Jeff
T37Chef, SanderO and Sal Paradise like this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #5 of 50 Old 07-08-2019

I miss Smackdaddy and his hair raising antics. His thread about restoring the Hobie was really entertaining.

I have noticed that there are more "if you can't do it the expensive 'right' way then you shouldnt be doing it" people here, but there is still great information.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #6 of 50 Old 07-08-2019

I used to think that the problem with the internet is that everyone has an equal voice, independent of experience, knowledge, and judgement.

But that's actually not true here. On this site, in a very short time, it's possible to figure out who is writing from experience and who's just trolling. It's also possible to figure out when something is humorous and not meant to be pointed. But you do need to be careful, people cannot see the wink in your text.

Capta's given us great advice about cruising in his backyard, very helpful when we chartered down there. And there are many other examples of people like Jeff who have deep knowledge and I always enjoy reading.

My attitude when I make a post and it's challenged by someone who is trolling is....who cares? This is just sailing, it's not life and death (usually anyway), it's not solving world hunger, it's not ending wars, it's not doing anything really important. We do it because it's fun. If it isn't, why do it? Certainly ain't for money, even those in the business aren't getting rich.

If someone on a sailing forum isn't having fun on the forum. Ignore them. They will go away.

On the other hand, I can say with certainty that my anchor is WAY better than yours (wink).

So there!
Sal Paradise likes this.
post #7 of 50 Old 07-08-2019

Don, looking at your avatar picture I see a kind, sensitive guy. Of course you are going to be asking yourself questions like that.
Is there a solution? Maybe make a rule such as never visit a sailing forum while sober. I think some members already have a rule like that.
But seriously now... I find this forum rather useful but I don’t come here for entertainment. Some stories posted here are very informative.
I appreciate your posts.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #8 of 50 Old 07-08-2019

I'm not sure if people here actually know what a troll is. I have dealt with many trolls on many sites over the years, and I can tell you, there are very few actual trolls here.

And no...I am not "trolling" you by disagreeing with you! I am presenting another perspective, and another opinion. It seems to me that some people have a hard time with that. Some people just want to hear perspectives and opinions that mesh with their own, and their minds are closed to all else, sometimes to the point of taking personal offence to that differing opinion.

I come here to both ask questions about things I don't know, and answer questions about things I do. And yes, I will weigh in on discussions that are more opinion than fact.

I envy those of you who have so much experience that you have it all figured out and don't need to learn anything else. I have been sailing for 35 years, and I don't mind admitting that I have lots to learn. Indeed I expect that I will be learning for the rest of my sailing life. And a lot of that learning comes from sites like this one, reading about other people's experience and perspective.

As for snowflakes....what is a snowflake?

"An overly sensitive or easily offended person, or one who believes they are entitled to special treatment on account of their supposedly unique characteristics."

I wonder who the snowflakes are on this site?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #9 of 50 Old 07-08-2019
Picnic Sailor

I can relate Don.

I was quite active here for a while, but been quiet the past couple of years. That might change a little now I have a new boat but I also found myself interacting on blogs and facebook with other cruisers a lot more.

I'll be honest and (while it is certainly not their fault) maybe the Mods might want to ponder this, Sailnet is not the active, engaging diverse place it has been in the past.

I guess however at the risk of sounding corny, Sailnet is also what we collectively the members choose to make it.

If any of you are in the Med this season than hit me up, if we are in the same anchorage I would love to invite you over for a beer.

Meanwhile don't feed the trolls, don't take it all too seriously cause it's just the internet and let's just talk about boats
JimMcGee and MarkofSeaLife like this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

post #10 of 50 Old 07-08-2019

Interesting comments. Sailing forums replace the books and magazines I used to buy and read. You can receive information from people who are actually doing it and pass on some know to others who might find it useful. I am not on a forum for entertainment or laughs... nor oneupsmanship.

I only post or comment or am interested in topics that relate to my direct experience. My experience is limited... I have bought and sold multiple boats, fixed them up, raced and many things member do.

I am no longer living aboard and connect to sailing using this forum on my PC from home or at times on board. I am not accessing it on a mobile device. I appreciate that there forum is always there when I want a dose of sailing wisdom.

There are some terrific members who have a lot of wisdom. I get a lot from their posts. Thank you all!

There are always annoying and rude people online. Try to avoid them rather than confront them because without attention they will find some place else to feed their need.
Sal Paradise likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in