Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 184 Old 07-21-2019

Re: Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I'm at the 3-mile line and since the seas are empty of anything I can bump into I've gone below to see if I still have internet (I'm using a tethered phone and it is a wonderful feeling to be connected while underway).

It turns out he'd just been dismasted off Cape May, he had a harrowing story and said his bolt-cutters (he described it as a massive one) didn't work with the stainless rigging even though they chewed through his anchor chain like butter. He did have electrical power and a cutting tool which he used to get rid of the mast and rigging before it holed his boat...

If the seas remain this empty I'll see if I can get some pictures posted - I was at it "culling the herd" until 22:00 last night when I gave up.
Tethering using a mobile hot spot is terrific. I recall the days on board without cell phone coverage. We use the tethered phone to bring www onto a NUC computer and HP monitor powered by a buck 12v>19v transformer. No inverter use! I have a T mobile with unlimited data / hotspot so that's pretty cool too... all for $40/mo! That's a lot of connectivity for very little cash.

I dread having to cut my shrouds f\in a dismasting... they are 10mm and require something really serious to do the job I would like to read real world accounts of how to deal with this emergency.

Looking forward to viewing your captures from the journey.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 184 Old 07-21-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

You should have fine internet all the way down the coast. Most of the boat traffic will be local fishing boats close to the inlets of Manesquan, Barnegat and Atlantic City. I wasn’t aware the Farley Marina was to shallow for you, I knew Kammermans was. The tide change is about 4 ft there and the anchorage is 15 off the Coast Guard Station so you will be fine, no matter when you arrive. Make as much progress as quickly as you can as usually the winds pipe up after 1 o’clock with the on shore switch off the ocean. As the land heat up and the air rises the ocean air fills in underneath it like clockwork every day. You’ll feel it as a cooling ocean breeze though nothing cool about temps today.

Predicted thunderstorms also as the frontal boundary will hear to break the heat wave. Should be intense as the temp differences in the air masses are extreme.

Stay safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #103 of 184 Old 07-21-2019

Re: anchorage @ Sandy Hook, It does make for an easier in/out weather permitting. Hindsight is always 20/20 though, At least now you know the area, and what's available, and the AH will accommodate your draft. Plus, you were able to get a visitor with a story to tell.

It's flattie season, most of the anglers will be drifting. There's a few artificial reefs along your path, the seas there won't be so empty.
I was supposed to go out with a friend yesterday, but opted out. Limit was caught by 10 a.m. So no fish dinner for me tonight! ;-)

Stay cool!

post #104 of 184 Old 07-21-2019

Per their Website, Farley is Dredged to 8 ft. High tide tomorrow is @ 11:58 a.m. you might be able to sneak in around half tide @ 9:00 a.m. or later. Tidal Range is 3.7 ft.
post #105 of 184 Old 07-21-2019

Tidal range is also a little wind dependent. At the Jersey shore are W or NW wind which blows over 15 will increase the low and high tide as much as a few feet. Here on the Chesapeake, NW winds following fronts in the fall usually create mini blowout tide also.

Right now you are also close to a full moon so the tide variances are a little increased. I didn’t realize that Farley was so shallow as we are 5 ft and a centerboard so very few places we can’t go. As Tempest said mid tide or more should be ok. The entrance to Clam Creek however can be shoaled. Sandy rearranged it a little

I see you are off Toms River so, 42 miles to go. Probably anchored between 5 and 6 PM

Tomorrow is only 40 miles to Cape May and you can get fuel at the Canyon Club back by the Garden State Parkway Bridge. Channel is deep enough to there.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #106 of 184 Old 07-21-2019 Thread Starter

I just popped back online for an update. I can't recall who it was that warned me about the local horseflies, but I seem to have picked up about 100 or so while motoring out of the anchorage this morning. These are pretty small little beasties, the size of small normal flies, but they -bite-! They've been driving me crazy and I tried a bowl full of apple vinegar with some soap and even threw in a couple of slices of apple as an incentive but the flies have been avoiding it and concentrating on me; every time I stopped moving they'd go for the calves or ankles and while their bite isn't like a horsefly's they remain pesky. I even tried pulling out the vacuum cleaner to see if I could get them that way (no chance, they are too fast).

Then I remembered I still had a 350ml bottle of Permethrin for application to clothing that I'd never needed to use. Despite it being 5 years old I pulled it out and transferred it to a spray bottle and then applied the spray to the cushions belowdecks, my bedclothes, the cockpit cushions and then repeated until it was all gone. I've already vacuumed up about 30 of them that weren't quite dead yet but couldn't escape the vacuum suction. I hope that the rest will die in the course of this trip or at least go away and look elsewhere for food.

I don't like chemicals inside the boat, but I've never had issues with flies or mosquitos before since anchoring out in the Caribbean coupled with 15 knot trades (which mozzies can't fight against) is a good way to keep the critters away.

The seas are picking up a little bit and the motion of the boat without the mast is indeed quite different and not really comfortable.

Last edited by Zanshin; 07-21-2019 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Added text
post #107 of 184 Old 07-21-2019

It was me who mentioned the dreaded green head fly as being the NJ State bird.

The only way to prevent them from bitting ......kill them with a fly swatter or wear long sleeved pans/ shirt and cover your ankles. Wind was blowing from the west and they live in the marshes. They love the transome out of the wind .

Deep Woods off with Deet works for a while by is not the cure.

At anchorage we have a cure.....for green heads as well as mosquitos and gnats inside the boat or bothering us in the cockpit. We have 4 or 5 incense burners on the boat. They hate Sandlewood incense. The down sides.....if / when the cops stop us I am sure they’ll be looking for pot. Hopefully you have your screens in or they will have found their way downstairs and make your life miserable later.

Fly swattter is the best weapon. One yer after we transmitted the Delaware my wife and I had a tally contest over how many we had killed. We both were over 150. When we got to Cape May and good cleaning of the cockpit was in order.

I would have expected the wind to pick up...onshore at one as is normal for the Jersey Coast.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #108 of 184 Old 07-21-2019

I Hate those Green Heads! They'll go anywhere, but they seem to like the well of the cockpit most. When they're around, I try to keep my legs and ankles out of the well. They certainly shouldn't like permethrin. They are typically much worse in the Delaware bay,
I remember, jumping in the water one year there and taking turns being towed just to get some relief from the heat and those flies.
post #109 of 184 Old 07-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I just popped back online for an update. I can't recall who it was that warned me about the local horseflies, but I seem to have picked up about 100 or so while motoring out of the anchorage this morning. These are pretty small little beasties, the size of small normal flies, but they -bite-! They've been driving me crazy and I tried a bowl full of apple vinegar with some soap and even threw in a couple of slices of apple as an incentive but the flies have been avoiding it and concentrating on me; every time I stopped moving they'd go for the calves or ankles and while their bite isn't like a horsefly's they remain pesky. I even tried pulling out the vacuum cleaner to see if I could get them that way (no chance, they are too fast).

Then I remembered I still had a 350ml bottle of Permethrin for application to clothing that I'd never needed to use. Despite it being 5 years old I pulled it out and transferred it to a spray bottle and then applied the spray to the cushions belowdecks, my bedclothes, the cockpit cushions and then repeated until it was all gone. I've already vacuumed up about 30 of them that weren't quite dead yet but couldn't escape the vacuum suction. I hope that the rest will die in the course of this trip or at least go away and look elsewhere for food.

I don't like chemicals inside the boat, but I've never had issues with flies or mosquitos before since anchoring out in the Caribbean coupled with 15 knot trades (which mozzies can't fight against) is a good way to keep the critters away.

The seas are picking up a little bit and the motion of the boat without the mast is indeed quite different and not really comfortable.
Those are neither horseflies nor green heads, they are stable flies, Stomoxys calcitrans, an invasive parasite from the Old World https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stable_fly. Permethrin is an excellent counter measure and of very minimal impact on warm blooded animals, like yourself.
post #110 of 184 Old 07-21-2019

If it has a green head......and they do.....it’s the dreaded green head fly
A type of horsefly which lives in the salt marshes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabanus_nigrovittatus

I’m not an exterminator...nor am I a scientist I’d.....however their heads are green....and they bite.....till killed. No matter what their true scientific name.....they are a pain in the ass and very annoying

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in