Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning - Page 14 - SailNet Community
 96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 184 Old 07-22-2019

Re: Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

The green heads disappear once you hit the Chessie.
But not the stable flies, unfortunately ).

(but I see them only once or twice a year, fortunately )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 184 Old 07-22-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Underway now, I went into the basin at 10:30 and only had 2 feet under keel at the entrance, but then it deepened and I've filled up on fuel (I used exactly 60 gallons from Newport) and am motoring at 2000RPM towards Lewes. The sea motion sucks today, the little monitor I have keeps on wanting to fall off the nav table so I think I'll stay topsides today and not upload the pictures of the trip. I am running low on both beer and milk (for coffee) but I'm not rationing myself yet.

I've been using the OpenCPN product for this trip and I'm pretty pleased with it, despite the occasional crash on both the tablet and Windows PC. The integration of tides and current plus the grib overlay is impressive and I am now thinking of dispensing with the Raymarine chartplotter in lieu of this solution when I refit the boat.
YOU can drink coffe black but no beer is a different kettle of fish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #133 of 184 Old 07-22-2019 Thread Starter

I do have emergency supplies when it comes to alcohol - I have some single-malt medicinal alcohol which will work quite well in a pinch

The seas are picking up. I've got all the hatches closed and the dodger is catching most of the splashes from the occasional slamming seas. Not bad compared to the passages going eastward in the Caribbean, but still it sucks to pick up so much salt after I've used all the rainstorms to clean the decks...

I've slowed down so that my arrival is planned to be at 19:00, if I go any slower I might not have as much time as I'd like to pick a good anchoring spot.

post #134 of 184 Old 07-22-2019

Storms are coming...hunker down. They will wash the boat good🌈🌈

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #135 of 184 Old 07-22-2019 Thread Starter

Yesterday was a stellar day sailing down the East River and seeing Manhattan. Sort of like high tide. Today was the opposite, sort of like a spring low tide. There is certainly truth to the stories about sailboats without masts having very uncomfortable sea motion!

I had the waves about 30 degrees off the bow much of today as the seas built. Many of the waves had whitecaps and I had a lot of breaking waves as well. "Zanshin" pounded and the cockpit got thoroughly soaked by spray despite my reducing speed to 6-7 knots. Then I made the turn at McCrie shoal and as if a switch were turned from 10 to 11 I had waves on the beam and the boat rolled as she'd never rolled before - squalls and storms at sea are nothing compared to this incredible combination of tender and stiff. I had things topple below that hadn't toppled in 40 knot squalls under sail! The only positive aspect was that the continuous salt-water showers at the helm were warm

But I finally made it into Lewes behind the ferry breakwater just as the high clouds obscured the sun and promised approaching rain. I do hope for rain as it would spare me the work of wiping down all the metal surfaces so that they don't start rusting while the boat is in storage.

post #136 of 184 Old 07-22-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Yesterday was a stellar day sailing down the East River and seeing Manhattan. Sort of like high tide. Today was the opposite, sort of like a spring low tide. There is certainly truth to the stories about sailboats without masts having very uncomfortable sea motion!

I had the waves about 30 degrees off the bow much of today as the seas built. Many of the waves had whitecaps and I had a lot of breaking waves as well. "Zanshin" pounded and the cockpit got thoroughly soaked by spray despite my reducing speed to 6-7 knots. Then I made the turn at McCrie shoal and as if a switch were turned from 10 to 11 I had waves on the beam and the boat rolled as she'd never rolled before - squalls and storms at sea are nothing compared to this incredible combination of tender and stiff. I had things topple below that hadn't toppled in 40 knot squalls under sail! The only positive aspect was that the continuous salt-water showers at the helm were warm

But I finally made it into Lewes behind the ferry breakwater just as the high clouds obscured the sun and promised approaching rain. I do hope for rain as it would spare me the work of wiping down all the metal surfaces so that they don't start rusting while the boat is in storage.

We were discussing the boat motion without the main over dinner this weekend. Our routine has always been to immedatly raise the main after pulling out of our slip or from anchor for just the reason you enumerated today. It really helps stabilize the boat.

You should get good rain as the front approaches tonight. We had tornado warnings north of Baltimore this evening and the sky driving home from work was a beautiful Kansas shade of purple green with rolling wall clouds.

Warning has passed at 4:30. The temp dropped almost 20 degrees from 98 to 78 in 25 minutes. They should clear you by midnight.

You are near the home stretch. A long fast motor tomorrow hopefully. Have a great nights sleep at anchor and try some BLACK coffee in the AM.

I am a self admitted coffee snob. Sometimes buy green coffee cherries and roast them myself. I particularly like Tanzanaian Peaberry ( the whole cherry not the regular half) and Ethiopian Yirecheffe for normal everyday coffee. Typically at 10$-12$ a lb it’s not expensive.

Ground to use and made in a French press coffee has very distinct smooth flavors you don’t want to add milk or sweetener. Kona however
Is Haleakulas Sunday AM coffee. Smooth and silky like a good Pinot noir it is a great way to start the day. Illy coffe is the only European one I really really like though Dallmayer is a close second.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #137 of 184 Old 07-22-2019 Thread Starter

I've got a Nespresso machine and milk frother aboard, so my Cafe Latte or Americano is a real treat in the morning. I have enough milk left over for tomorrow but after that it will be espresso. I do have an Aeropress aboard and some coffee from Antigua and must admit that the little plastic dohickey makes an impressive coffee indeed. Right now I'm working on my third "Whaler's Rise IPA" which is pretty good as well. Dinner is warming up and I do hope for some raid to wash the boat down later.

I wonder what's happened to my AIS positions on MarineTraffic. I've not turned off the AIS (until just now, when I rebooted it) and I hope it hasn't cut out.

post #138 of 184 Old 07-22-2019

Cool beans,

https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Vacuu...75016209&psc=1

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #139 of 184 Old 07-23-2019

Glad to read that you made it safely past NJ. It promised to be uncomfortable, but it's over. I hope the Delaware is tame.

You should make Annapolis pretty quickly now. When you do, a thread on what's involved with your refit would be very interesting. I know that Zanshin was knocked down in the hurricane, but the number of issues you already discussed sound beyond what one would have expected from a knock down on the hard.

How long will it take, where to from there?

Whaler's Rise is my absolute favorite local beer up here. Glad you discovered it. Safe passage for the remainder of your journey.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #140 of 184 Old 07-23-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I know that Zanshin was knocked down in the hurricane, but the number of issues you already discussed sound beyond what one would have expected from a knock down on the hard.
It would make a great thread of its own, if Zanshin wants to write it up with photos and the initial video.

The video he discovered on the net wS from a drone flying over the marina showing all the boats in a domino effect pile-up.

Would be interesting to see it again.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in