Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning - Page 15 - SailNet Community
 96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 184 Old 07-23-2019

Re: Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
///The video he discovered on the net wS from a drone flying over the marina showing all the boats in a domino effect pile-up. ....
I remember that vid. Heartbreaking. I've been to that marina many times and it was hard to imagine. That was about the last we had heard from Zan, until reappearing with this refit. Very happy to sees he's making a recovery. Somewhat legendary and inspiring to know of someone that single hands his 57 foot boat. I've effectively done it on my 54, with crew asleep, but it would be daunting to deal with a real problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 184 Old 07-23-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Zanshin

You stopped appearing on my AIS. Hopefully you are either in the Canal or off the nuke plant at Salem. Don’t dawdle there unless you want to glow in the dark

Heat broke and high today only in the upper 70s
Hope your day is going well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #143 of 184 Old 07-23-2019 Thread Starter

I'm motoring up the Delaware, ETA at the C&D is 14:40. I don't know what is wrong with my AIS; perhaps I messed up the cable to the antenna. A big Chinese cargo ship just passed me and I think I see some more coming down, so I had better go on deck again.

It was very very lumpy this morning. Strong 20 knots of breeze blew waves up and I took on more green water than I did yesterday, but things are calming down now.
chef2sail and Morild like this.

post #144 of 184 Old 07-23-2019 Thread Starter

I think that my AIS is working, but that Marinetraffic doesn't have a receiver in the area; I used another website and found my track. The waters are calm now and the current with me. I just saw a school of dolphins go by - that surprised me.
Sal Paradise likes this.

post #145 of 184 Old 07-23-2019

I see you now off the nuke plant. Doing 8.6 that’s great.

27 miles to Betterton (15 of which is the Canal)
Hard part is behind you.

It’s impressive you have handle you big boat by your self. My 35 C&C is tiny compared to your 57.
Has been fun tracking and reliving some of my trip vicariously through you

One of the neat things about SN. I find the local SN have always been helpful when we visit their areas.

Good comradierrie between sailors who can share a beer, a dark and stormy , or a good cup of Joe.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #146 of 184 Old 07-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I think that my AIS is working, but that Marinetraffic doesn't have a receiver in the area; I used another website and found my track. The waters are calm now and the current with me. I just saw a school of dolphins go by - that surprised me.
There you are!
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 12.30.58 PM.png   Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 12.34.27 PM.png  
Sal Paradise likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #147 of 184 Old 07-23-2019

Winds from the N behind you tomorrow. Shame no mast would be an ideal broad reach down to Annapolis

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #148 of 184 Old 07-24-2019 Thread Starter

It was a long day yesterday, with the first half being strenuous with nasty seas and lots of green water coming across the decks and into the cockpit. The second half was a piece of cake, the C&D Canal is much wider than I'd expected and also much emptier of traffic. I wasn't passed by any vessel and only encountered 3 big barges/tows. I've been in canals and rivers about a third of the width with barges separated by only a couple of hundred yards - the Rhine river in Germany is an example. It was an absolute pleasure to transit the C&D and anchor here. I've got to get the pictures of this trip sorted out and posted - I promise to append this to the thread.

I had planned on making Annapolis for today's high tide in the morning, but I have missed that deadline; I'll spend today cleaning up the boat in preparation for storage/refit.

The anchorage here at Betterton is nice, but I've not gone in far enough to avoid the occasional wakes of boats passing on the main channel. The wind had my stern facing those wakes and due to the sugar-scoop hull form those little wave didn't slap, they hit and the whole boat would shudder. I found out that there's more traffic at night than during the day

Is there another anchorage deep enough for my draft closer to Annapolis that anyone can recommend? I don't mind sailing past Annapolis today, I've got lots of time. But I'd like to be somewhere within 16NM of Annapolis.
SanderO likes this.

Last edited by Zanshin; 07-24-2019 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Added text
post #149 of 184 Old 07-24-2019

Zan... This thread was a real pleasure to read. Your account of motoring without a mast is informative though I don't expect many will be doing much of that for the distances you did.

I am wondering if the loss of things mounted on the mast seriously impacted the trip... and how much the local knowledge provided by Sailnet members helped you? One can't expect to have this sort of almost real time local knowledge help when out cruising. I found the posts to be interesting and probably very useful.

Isn't Active Captain supposed to provide similar local knowledge? Looking forward to the narrative of the refit!

Thanks for this fabulous thread!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #150 of 184 Old 07-24-2019 Thread Starter

SanderO - The mast had my VHF, SSB and Radar when it parted ways with the rest of the boat. The chartplotter isn't working so I couldn't use the integrated radar/chart/AIS receiver. That restricted my planned movements to daytime trips; with radar I think I might have done some nighttime sailing on this trip, but overall each day's leg was pretty long and I'm glad that the autopilot was working so that I could rest behind the dodger and out of the spray on the ocean segments.

The local knowledge helped my quite a bit, taking a lot of guesswork out of my planning. For example, without the suggestion about anchoring off the CG station in Atlantic City I wouldn't have known what to do as I'd have assumed that the area was a no-anchoring zone. What was new for me was having a local telephone with internet access; that made things a lot simpler and was a novel experience. So far I've never had instant access to information while underway! So I enjoyed looking up information, downloading charts, posting and reading on sailnet, and getting e-mail while the boat was moving along.

Now I'm hoping for that one last piece of information regarding an anchorage closer to Annapolis than my current location and then the activity on this thread will be done; at least until such time as I post some pictures of the trip so that those who don't know the area will have an idea of what the trip entailed.
SanderO likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in