Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 184 Old 07-15-2019

Re: Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning

FWIW you can download current tables for the Race off the NOAA website. You do NOT want to try to go through the Race against the current in a sailboat. It is possible through the Watch Hill Passage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 184 Old 07-15-2019 Thread Starter

JimsCAL - thanks for the advice. I'd downloaded the data from NOAA yesterday and saw that if I follow the recommendations I might get a 4 knot boost if I go through as planned on the morrow. This should be fun...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 184 Old 07-15-2019

Yes, the Passage through the race, with a full current is quite something, if that's something you're considering.

The rush of water quite amazing. It creates lots of swirls like a river. I always remind myself to keep a firm hand on the wheel and hold my course. ;-)

post #24 of 184 Old 07-15-2019

Agree with Ed in post#6. Have done this trip several times using both NY side and Conn. side. The Connecticut side is easier. Only place I’d use the NY is real close to hells gate.
Good comments about timing current. Would also mention getting through the race at the entrance to LI sound. This is another spot going with the current is worthwhile. I usually use the RI/Connecticut side and catch Zs in Stonington or Fisher. Fisher island sound is shallow enough in places you can anchor without entering either harbor in some spots.
Port Judith is another place it’s easy to anchor behind the breakwater and not enter the harbor.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #25 of 184 Old 07-15-2019

So if you want a shortish day one... go thru Watch Hill into Fishers Island Sound....go from buoy to buoy and anchor in West Harbor Fishers Island.

Day 2 you want to leave an hour or two before the current turns fair. You'll pick up a westerly strong current north of Plum Island. There are some eddies at fill flood. now your decision is where to anchor for day 2. You can make Pt Jef, or Norwalk... 6+ ft tidal over there. They are 50+ nm from West Harbor.

Day 3 You will have to time your departure to make the race on slack or fair ebb tide Hellgate is about 40 nm from Pt Jef ... a bit less from Norwalk. I like the LIS shore better. You can anchor off City Island to wait for the window to go for the gate.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #26 of 184 Old 07-15-2019

I too prefer the NY side, ( fewer rocks to hit) lol Though, I'm always told there are some nice marinas in Conn. I usually cross over to and from the Conn. River to Port Jeff. Or through the Gut, I guess I should explore Conn. more.
SanderO likes this.
post #27 of 184 Old 07-15-2019 Thread Starter

I'd like to go on the NY side as well, but the first port I can reach from Newport is on the optimistic side of the first day's trip so I don't know if I should try it.

post #28 of 184 Old 07-15-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Sounds good

Main think to know it’s about current not tides, they are different

As you travel down the East River through Hell gate with the current, remember it will switch at NY Harbor and the change in current heads toward you

The opposite occurs on the Delaware. If you leave 1 hr before the current changes to head north you ride the change in current with you al way to the C$D Canal and through it. The difference between. SOG being 8-10 knots or 4-5 . 80 miles in 10 hours or 40-50 miles

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #29 of 184 Old 07-15-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Delaware in real numbers on July 22-24 . About the time you’ll be there give or take. You should weigh anchor by 8:30 AM to ride the currents going north to get the best push.

Hell Gate and the East River. on July 20 or give a few days try and hit the Throgs Neck ( first Bridge) at around 1-1:30. You get a huge push through and be in Atlantic Highlands by 6

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #30 of 184 Old 07-15-2019

Guess I’m out voted. If she’s anchoring and doesn’t want to go deep into harbors would just go on whatever side keeps her off a lee shore. Unlike Block I. there’s generally good holding. Personally find the Delaware boring as watching paint dry. But you do have to pay attention. The jump from Cape May to the mouth of the Chesapeake is short. Once in you can anchor on either side. Reminds me of sections of the ICW. Have only done th the C & D when forced to by weather. Never went up to Philadelphia by boat But Baltimore is surprisingly fun since they have revitalize the harbor. If she has time maybe a nice side trip.
Sailing the upper Chesapeake was difficult for us with 6 1/2’ ( we lightly touched but didn’t go aground) and no local knowledge so just as well she’s under power.
She should have a uneventful benign trip being under power. My wishes go with her.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in