SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/330594-motoring-newport-ri-annapolis-md-trip-planning.html)

Zanshin 07-14-2019 02:58 PM

Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning
 
"Zanshin" is currently mooring off the main strip in Newport, Rhode Island. I've got to get her to Annapolis in order to get the post-Irma refit done. At the moment I've got a 57" sailboat with no mast so I am going to have to motor and since I'm alone I'll be doing the trip in steps rather than in one offshore leg. Plus I think it will be cool to go past New York City in the boat. I plan on leaving on Tuesday the 16th of July.

Without the mast I've lost my radar, but I have an autopilot and AIS transmitter/receiver and chartplotter. Although under engine the cruising speed is higher, I'll calculate 7 knots for planning purposes and will have approximately 12 hour motoring days; that gives me a rough daily plan of 84 miles with lots of time/distance to spare. I could do 100 miles as well and still have time for breakfast after the sun rises and time to watch the sunset from the anchorage.

I draw 8.5 feet and plan on either anchoring or taking guest moorings and don't really want a dock and as long as I don't run out of liquor I don't necessarily have to go ashore anywhere, either.

I realize that the tides will make a big difference approaching and passing Devil's Gate, so think it might make sense to spend a night as close as possible to that stretch and then wait for the correct state of tide the next day.

I've got the charts and a big Maptech Cruising Guide but there are so many places in the Long Island Sound to choose from that I don't know where to start.

So I'd like to hear suggestions from those who know these cruising grounds in order to let me narrow down the choices.

chef2sail 07-14-2019 04:14 PM

Re: Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning
 
We just did this trip
Have done it many times and keep Haleakula in a Creek next to annapolis

I think your plannng 7 knots speed is a little hopeful. I would plan on 5.5-6. This will take not account head winds, head current etc. planning 72 -80 miles a day. Prevailing winds off Jersey coast are from a southerly direction

Fisher Island East Harbor just inside Watch Hill Channel or west Harbo more crowded with snobby moorings
Port Jefferson is an easy in easy out anchorage
Port Washington is free moorings. 5 miles from the East River and Hell Gate to set yourself up for the
Currents to shoot through to NY Harbor
Atlantic Highland or Coney Island anchorage
Atlantic City next to the CG station
Cape May next to CG Station or Lewes behind the breakwater to set up for Delaware currents
Sassafras’ River - Betterton..easy in and out

Playing the currents through the East River and Delaware

East River ....don’t go at slack as tugs line up with barges. Remember the current switch advances on you From NY Bay so time so you get the whole full ride

Delaware - opposite of NY currents. Go one hour before current switches to slack. You will ride all the way through the C&D Canal.

Note: I mean to use CURRENT not tide.....they are not the same

capta 07-14-2019 04:17 PM

Re: Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning
 
All I can say is if you hit the stream, you may be overestimating your speed considerably. I've had up to around 8 knots of north current in the stream, though admittedly quite a bit father than you intend going.
I assume you are going offshore w/an 8.5-foot draft.

SanderO 07-14-2019 04:47 PM

Re: Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning
 
I have sailed back and forth from the West end of LIS to Newport many time.

1. current is a real factor. If you time your departure you can make it work for you instead of fighting it and then riding it. Look for an hrly chart of how the current works for LIS. It may be in Eldridges.

2. You can pass Fishers Island to the north or south... but on the south you encounter the strong current of the race where all the water passes in and out of the Sound. In Fisher Island Sound you have places to stop or even get repairs... Stonnington for one. North passage through the sound is well marked. Sea is more manageable for motoring in Fishers Island Sound.

3. Try to make it to Norwalk... You can anchor off the islands... go into Cove Marine a huge facility that does work on huge boats. This would be about 100 miles from Newport. You can stop earlier at the Thimbles...mooring or anchor... easy to get into and peaceful. Huntington Harbor, Cold Springs Harbor, Oyster bay are on the south of the Sound.

3a. Port Jef is an easy landfall and about 85 miles from Newport (guess). No boat yards.

4, Next leg takes you thru Hellgate. This leg has to be timed for a fair or slack tide at Hellgate.

5. Once through you can anchor or check into a number of marinas....

Then consult the Chessie guys for advice from NYC to the Chessie

Zanshin 07-14-2019 04:57 PM

Re: Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 2051614774)
All I can say is if you hit the stream, you may be overestimating your speed considerably. I've had up to around 8 knots of north current in the stream, though admittedly quite a bit father than you intend going.
I assume you are going offshore w/an 8.5-foot draft.

Since I'm alone I'm doing day trips and not going offshore, and the Gulf Stream shouldn't be an issue in the Long Island Sound :)

Looking at the NOAA date for current within the LIS I should, at most, be seeing 1.5 knots against me. This does get stronger as I approach the New York side, but nothing like 8 knots anywhere until I get to the infamous Devil's Gate.

eherlihy 07-14-2019 05:05 PM

Re: Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning
 
Nighttime stops that I had planned for a similar trip figuring 5kts on my boat with 6' draft;
1 - Pt Judith, RI 4' tidal range 25 nautical miles (will be less for you)
2 - Norwalk, CT 8' tidal range 88 nautical miles
3 - Atlantic Highlands (Sandy Hook), NJ 6' tidal range 50 nautical miles
4 - Atlantic City, NJ** 4' tidal range 81 nautical miles
5 - Cape May, NJ 7' tidal range 37 nautical miles
6 - Ocean City, Md ** 4' tidal range 38 nautical miles
7 - Great Sand Shoal Inlet 6' tidal range 70 nautical miles
8 - Norfolk, VA ** 3' tidal range 50 nautical miles

chef2sail 07-14-2019 06:22 PM

Re: Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanshin (Post 2051614784)
Since I'm alone I'm doing day trips and not going offshore, and the Gulf Stream shouldn't be an issue in the Long Island Sound :)

Looking at the NOAA date for current within the LIS I should, at most, be seeing 1.5 knots against me. This does get stronger as I approach the New York side, but nothing like 8 knots anywhere until I get to the infamous Devil's Gate.

Do you have Navionics or a similar program which has current vectors on the maps?

chef2sail 07-14-2019 06:29 PM

Re: Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eherlihy (Post 2051614786)
Nighttime stops that I had planned for a similar trip figuring 5kts on my boat with 6' draft;
1 - Pt Judith, RI 4' tidal range 25 nautical miles (will be less for you)
2 - Norwalk, CT 8' tidal range 88 nautical miles
3 - Atlantic Highlands (Sandy Hook), NJ 6' tidal range 50 nautical miles
4 - Atlantic City, NJ** 4' tidal range 81 nautical miles
5 - Cape May, NJ 7' tidal range 37 nautical miles
6 - Ocean City, Md ** 4' tidal range 38 nautical miles
7 - Great Sand Shoal Inlet 6' tidal range 70 nautical miles
8 - Norfolk, VA ** 3' tidal range 50 nautical miles

Till you get to Cape May good suggestions to add to mine. From there to Annapolis is 109 miles and two days

Going to the southern Bay entrance is 256 miles and a few more than two days if by yourself.

If you time it right you have the current boost of up to 3 knots on the Delaware and through the C&D Canal in one felled swoop. You can easily get from Cape May to the Sassafras on the northern Chesapeake. 38 miles from Annapolis.

tempest 07-14-2019 06:46 PM

Re: Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning
 
it's all about timing the currents. If you time the race right, you could push a long day and get to Port Jefferson, I think it's about 91 miles. It's an easy enough harbor to enter even at night, just keep an eye out for the Ferries. you're not going to hold a fair current through the entire sound, just get through the race as early as possible and carry that as long as you can.

From P.J. , you could go to Manhasset Bay and set yourself up for Hell Gate passage and on to the Atlantic Highlands.
Or you could do another very long day and go from Port Jeff to the AH. I've done that but it's also a long day, and the timing has to be right.

From the Atlantic Highlands, you should have enough daylight if you leave pre-dawn to get to Atlantic City. You may need to sit a day or so in the Highlands waiting for a weather window, to transit the coast.

With your depth, I'd be careful to stay in the channel in Cape May. I believe the controlling depth is 12 feet in the Canal, but double check that. You could also head for the Anchorage @ Cape Henlopen Then up the Delaware Bay and in to the Chesapeake.

I'm surprised you can't get the work you need done in Newport. I'm sure my Marina in NJ could handle just about any project. Hopefully you hit the weather right and can keep moving. i'd get some miles under my belt early. As you may be have to burn a day waiting for an optimum window to transit the Jersey Coast, and then again the Delaware Bay.

Safe Travels.

chef2sail 07-14-2019 06:52 PM

Re: Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tempest (Post 2051614802)
it's all about timing the currents. If you time the race right, you could push a long day and get to Port Jefferson, I think it's about 91 miles. It's an easy enough harbor to enter even at night, just keep an eye out for the Ferries. you're not going to hold a fair current through the entire sound, just get through the race as early as possible and carry that as long as you can.

From P.J. , you could go to Manhasset Bay and set yourself up for Hell Gate passage and on to the Atlantic Highlands.
Or you could do another very long day and go from Port Jeff to the AH. I've done that but it's also a long day, and the timing has to be right.

From the Atlantic Highlands, you should have enough daylight if you leave pre-dawn to get to Atlantic City. You may need to sit a day or so in the Highlands waiting for a weather window, to transit the coast.

With your depth, I'd be careful to stay in the channel in Cape May. I believe the controlling depth is 12 feet in the Canal, but double check that. You could also head for the Anchorage @ Cape Henlopen Then up the Delaware Bay and in to the Chesapeake.

I'm surprised you can't get the work you need done in Newport. I'm sure my Marina in NJ could handle just about any project. Hopefully you hit the weather right and can keep moving. i'd get some miles under my belt early. As you may be have to burn a day waiting for an optimum window to transit the Jersey Coast, and then again the Delaware Bay.

Safe Travels.

I doubt he can do the Cape May Canal as there is a 53 ft bridge. I barely make it under by a foot.

If I remember right when he found Zanshin it was in Annapolis. I think it was at the boat show. I can understand wanting to take a boat for a huge refit back there.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome