Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning - SailNet Community
 96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 184 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning

"Zanshin" is currently mooring off the main strip in Newport, Rhode Island. I've got to get her to Annapolis in order to get the post-Irma refit done. At the moment I've got a 57" sailboat with no mast so I am going to have to motor and since I'm alone I'll be doing the trip in steps rather than in one offshore leg. Plus I think it will be cool to go past New York City in the boat. I plan on leaving on Tuesday the 16th of July.

Without the mast I've lost my radar, but I have an autopilot and AIS transmitter/receiver and chartplotter. Although under engine the cruising speed is higher, I'll calculate 7 knots for planning purposes and will have approximately 12 hour motoring days; that gives me a rough daily plan of 84 miles with lots of time/distance to spare. I could do 100 miles as well and still have time for breakfast after the sun rises and time to watch the sunset from the anchorage.

I draw 8.5 feet and plan on either anchoring or taking guest moorings and don't really want a dock and as long as I don't run out of liquor I don't necessarily have to go ashore anywhere, either.

I realize that the tides will make a big difference approaching and passing Devil's Gate, so think it might make sense to spend a night as close as possible to that stretch and then wait for the correct state of tide the next day.

I've got the charts and a big Maptech Cruising Guide but there are so many places in the Long Island Sound to choose from that I don't know where to start.

So I'd like to hear suggestions from those who know these cruising grounds in order to let me narrow down the choices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 184 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning

We just did this trip
Have done it many times and keep Haleakula in a Creek next to annapolis

I think your plannng 7 knots speed is a little hopeful. I would plan on 5.5-6. This will take not account head winds, head current etc. planning 72 -80 miles a day. Prevailing winds off Jersey coast are from a southerly direction

Fisher Island East Harbor just inside Watch Hill Channel or west Harbo more crowded with snobby moorings
Port Jefferson is an easy in easy out anchorage
Port Washington is free moorings. 5 miles from the East River and Hell Gate to set yourself up for the
Currents to shoot through to NY Harbor
Atlantic Highland or Coney Island anchorage
Atlantic City next to the CG station
Cape May next to CG Station or Lewes behind the breakwater to set up for Delaware currents
Sassafras’ River - Betterton..easy in and out

Playing the currents through the East River and Delaware

East River ....don’t go at slack as tugs line up with barges. Remember the current switch advances on you From NY Bay so time so you get the whole full ride

Delaware - opposite of NY currents. Go one hour before current switches to slack. You will ride all the way through the C&D Canal.

Note: I mean to use CURRENT not tide.....they are not the same

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #3 of 184 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

All I can say is if you hit the stream, you may be overestimating your speed considerably. I've had up to around 8 knots of north current in the stream, though admittedly quite a bit father than you intend going.
I assume you are going offshore w/an 8.5-foot draft.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 184 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I have sailed back and forth from the West end of LIS to Newport many time.

1. current is a real factor. If you time your departure you can make it work for you instead of fighting it and then riding it. Look for an hrly chart of how the current works for LIS. It may be in Eldridges.

2. You can pass Fishers Island to the north or south... but on the south you encounter the strong current of the race where all the water passes in and out of the Sound. In Fisher Island Sound you have places to stop or even get repairs... Stonnington for one. North passage through the sound is well marked. Sea is more manageable for motoring in Fishers Island Sound.

3. Try to make it to Norwalk... You can anchor off the islands... go into Cove Marine a huge facility that does work on huge boats. This would be about 100 miles from Newport. You can stop earlier at the Thimbles...mooring or anchor... easy to get into and peaceful. Huntington Harbor, Cold Springs Harbor, Oyster bay are on the south of the Sound.

3a. Port Jef is an easy landfall and about 85 miles from Newport (guess). No boat yards.

4, Next leg takes you thru Hellgate. This leg has to be timed for a fair or slack tide at Hellgate.

5. Once through you can anchor or check into a number of marinas....

Then consult the Chessie guys for advice from NYC to the Chessie

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:35 PM.
post #5 of 184 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
All I can say is if you hit the stream, you may be overestimating your speed considerably. I've had up to around 8 knots of north current in the stream, though admittedly quite a bit father than you intend going.
I assume you are going offshore w/an 8.5-foot draft.
Since I'm alone I'm doing day trips and not going offshore, and the Gulf Stream shouldn't be an issue in the Long Island Sound

Looking at the NOAA date for current within the LIS I should, at most, be seeing 1.5 knots against me. This does get stronger as I approach the New York side, but nothing like 8 knots anywhere until I get to the infamous Devil's Gate.

post #6 of 184 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Learning the HARD way...

Nighttime stops that I had planned for a similar trip figuring 5kts on my boat with 6' draft;
1 - Pt Judith, RI 4' tidal range 25 nautical miles (will be less for you)
2 - Norwalk, CT 8' tidal range 88 nautical miles
3 - Atlantic Highlands (Sandy Hook), NJ 6' tidal range 50 nautical miles
4 - Atlantic City, NJ** 4' tidal range 81 nautical miles
5 - Cape May, NJ 7' tidal range 37 nautical miles
6 - Ocean City, Md ** 4' tidal range 38 nautical miles
7 - Great Sand Shoal Inlet 6' tidal range 70 nautical miles
8 - Norfolk, VA ** 3' tidal range 50 nautical miles

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #7 of 184 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Since I'm alone I'm doing day trips and not going offshore, and the Gulf Stream shouldn't be an issue in the Long Island Sound

Looking at the NOAA date for current within the LIS I should, at most, be seeing 1.5 knots against me. This does get stronger as I approach the New York side, but nothing like 8 knots anywhere until I get to the infamous Devil's Gate.
Do you have Navionics or a similar program which has current vectors on the maps?

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #8 of 184 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Nighttime stops that I had planned for a similar trip figuring 5kts on my boat with 6' draft;
1 - Pt Judith, RI 4' tidal range 25 nautical miles (will be less for you)
2 - Norwalk, CT 8' tidal range 88 nautical miles
3 - Atlantic Highlands (Sandy Hook), NJ 6' tidal range 50 nautical miles
4 - Atlantic City, NJ** 4' tidal range 81 nautical miles
5 - Cape May, NJ 7' tidal range 37 nautical miles
6 - Ocean City, Md ** 4' tidal range 38 nautical miles
7 - Great Sand Shoal Inlet 6' tidal range 70 nautical miles
8 - Norfolk, VA ** 3' tidal range 50 nautical miles
Till you get to Cape May good suggestions to add to mine. From there to Annapolis is 109 miles and two days

Going to the southern Bay entrance is 256 miles and a few more than two days if by yourself.

If you time it right you have the current boost of up to 3 knots on the Delaware and through the C&D Canal in one felled swoop. You can easily get from Cape May to the Sassafras on the northern Chesapeake. 38 miles from Annapolis.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

post #9 of 184 Old 3 Weeks Ago

it's all about timing the currents. If you time the race right, you could push a long day and get to Port Jefferson, I think it's about 91 miles. It's an easy enough harbor to enter even at night, just keep an eye out for the Ferries. you're not going to hold a fair current through the entire sound, just get through the race as early as possible and carry that as long as you can.

From P.J. , you could go to Manhasset Bay and set yourself up for Hell Gate passage and on to the Atlantic Highlands.
Or you could do another very long day and go from Port Jeff to the AH. I've done that but it's also a long day, and the timing has to be right.

From the Atlantic Highlands, you should have enough daylight if you leave pre-dawn to get to Atlantic City. You may need to sit a day or so in the Highlands waiting for a weather window, to transit the coast.

With your depth, I'd be careful to stay in the channel in Cape May. I believe the controlling depth is 12 feet in the Canal, but double check that. You could also head for the Anchorage @ Cape Henlopen Then up the Delaware Bay and in to the Chesapeake.

I'm surprised you can't get the work you need done in Newport. I'm sure my Marina in NJ could handle just about any project. Hopefully you hit the weather right and can keep moving. i'd get some miles under my belt early. As you may be have to burn a day waiting for an optimum window to transit the Jersey Coast, and then again the Delaware Bay.

Safe Travels.
post #10 of 184 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
it's all about timing the currents. If you time the race right, you could push a long day and get to Port Jefferson, I think it's about 91 miles. It's an easy enough harbor to enter even at night, just keep an eye out for the Ferries. you're not going to hold a fair current through the entire sound, just get through the race as early as possible and carry that as long as you can.

From P.J. , you could go to Manhasset Bay and set yourself up for Hell Gate passage and on to the Atlantic Highlands.
Or you could do another very long day and go from Port Jeff to the AH. I've done that but it's also a long day, and the timing has to be right.

From the Atlantic Highlands, you should have enough daylight if you leave pre-dawn to get to Atlantic City. You may need to sit a day or so in the Highlands waiting for a weather window, to transit the coast.

With your depth, I'd be careful to stay in the channel in Cape May. I believe the controlling depth is 12 feet in the Canal, but double check that. You could also head for the Anchorage @ Cape Henlopen Then up the Delaware Bay and in to the Chesapeake.

I'm surprised you can't get the work you need done in Newport. I'm sure my Marina in NJ could handle just about any project. Hopefully you hit the weather right and can keep moving. i'd get some miles under my belt early. As you may be have to burn a day waiting for an optimum window to transit the Jersey Coast, and then again the Delaware Bay.

Safe Travels.
I doubt he can do the Cape May Canal as there is a 53 ft bridge. I barely make it under by a foot.

If I remember right when he found Zanshin it was in Annapolis. I think it was at the boat show. I can understand wanting to take a boat for a huge refit back there.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:54 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in