On-boat clothes washing - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 07-26-2019

Re: On-boat clothes washing

Bucket and dawn in salt water works well. Rinse in fresh. If there is a water maker on board, I use soapy shower water into the bucket for the wash and sink for the rinse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 07-26-2019

Sail naked
Minnesail likes this.
post #23 of 31 Old 07-29-2019

I brought one for Mothers Day present for myself. Years of hand washing, plunging was put a tow on the wrists. Tired of Laundry facility high prices broken equipment, also rude people. This was a Blessing and it's pretty. Also larger then I thought. I Love it
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

post #24 of 31 Old 07-29-2019

There’s a laundromat near the marina. With any size load, it was so much easier to use their large washers/driers. We could wash and dry a ton of laundry for under $10. I mean a washer you could personally climb into, it was so big. Not since college had I used a pay laundry, I thought it was good value, rather than haul everything home.

We’ve really gone overboard now. We pay them to wash, dry and fold. We drop our stuff off, when leaving the boat and pick it up, on our way back. Luxurious. With so many guests, we were getting tired of the routine. 3 sets of bed linens, 6 sets of towels, galley hand towels and rags, plus several days of our clothing. All done, with zero effort or time, for about $30.
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #25 of 31 Old 07-29-2019

Laundry like painting or waxing is a necessary waste of time. I have paid to have my laundry done as long as I can remember... even when cruising. In English Harbor Mavis and other ladies would wait at the Dockyard for cruisers to bring their laundry and return it in the late afternoon. I suppose if you are so off the grid where there are no civilization... and locals wash their clothes with rocks in a river then a CW is for you. I suspect that this applies to very very few sailors.

These days we take our laundry home and do it once a week with other laundry. Paying for this is definitely worth it.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #26 of 31 Old 07-29-2019

There’s an up side to laundromats. Usually a cruisers library. You leave a book and take a book. Usually a excuse to wander around and get an espresso while you wait. To get to chat up the people working there and other cruisers so find out what’s good to do, where things are, what to avoid. Kind of like hanging around the water barrel getting the scuttle butt.
Commonly day one or day two is a trip to the laundromat and for groceries. We usually split it up so it’s time on your own. Being mom and pop that time isn’t to be discounted.
Problem is starch. The hi tech fibers don’t like high temperature water nor starch. Have gotten starched underwear. Really!!! Beautifully folded but unwearable. Have learned to say no starch, no hot water in several languages.
SanderO likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #27 of 31 Old 07-29-2019

Dock

Ive found a downside to the Marina laundry... its 50 cents cheaper per wash than in town and not locked away just for marina users so all the local townspeople are lined up with the towns washing from 7am. You can get an empty machine at 10pm - just after the laundry has closed
mbianka likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #28 of 31 Old 08-02-2019
Gybing in 3,2,1.....

I have one of these and a bucket:

It works better than my side-loader @ home.
MikeOReilly and Minnesail like this.
post #29 of 31 Old 08-02-2019

What is it?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #30 of 31 Old 08-02-2019
Gybing in 3,2,1.....

Lightbulb Search ebay: hand powered washing machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
What is it?
Hand Powered Washing Machine. Plug that into an ebay search.
outbound likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in