SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   On-boat clothes washing (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/330654-boat-clothes-washing.html)

bshock 07-19-2019 10:31 AM

On-boat clothes washing

https://www.gentlewasher.com/

Hi All, I saw this and figured I'd share it with Sailnetters who may be interested. I haven't needed to use something like this on my boat yet (hopefully someday), but figured keeping clothes clean while cruising might be a typical cruiser's challenge. I have no connection to this project and don't endorse it in any way. It just seems like it could be a good way to keep clothes clean.

This may not be a new idea at all, however, and maybe all our Sailnet cruisers already have something like this on board. :)

zeehag 07-19-2019 10:52 AM

Re: On-boat clothes washing

looks like a different version of wonder wash.
as i am in marinas in summer and for repairing boat, i broke down adn bought semiautomatic koblenz 8 kg capacity washing machine. it doesnot spin , but it sure does wash. preserves what is left of my hands.
tried wonder wash and set it free, have bucket with plunger, and replaced all of these with the koblenz. still wringing via shrouds but the job is a lot quicker and cleaner wiuth a machine to do the splishing and-a splashing.

outbound 07-19-2019 12:55 PM

Takes up too much room.
Have tried several devices. Best remains using the two sinks in the galley. Wash water in one rinse in the other. If short on water use salt water and Dawn. Rinse in fresh. If not just doing undies and a shirt or two use a bucket.
A large wooden spoon if using kitchen sinks. If lazy and sailing use bucket and throw in anything with near neutral buoyancy into the bucket and put on the lid.
Still havenít found a way to do bedding except for the laundromat.

Captain Canuck 07-19-2019 01:55 PM

A friend of mine who lived on his 40' Manta for years had a combo washer/dryer, as in put in dirty clothes and they come out clean and dry.

He had to run the genny to use it, though.

MikeOReilly 07-19-2019 03:51 PM

Interesting, but I agree; it looks like the old wonder washer, and is way too big for most smallish cruising boats.

Bucket and plunger works best for those of us on smallish boats with modest budgets. Itís small, simple, has multiple uses, and really not hard to do. Just takes a bit of time and effort.

outbound 07-19-2019 05:01 PM

We plumbed the boat for a Splendide washer/dryer when she was built. So glad we didnít put it in. Anything you put on a boat wonít be able to do comforters and the like. Anything you put on a boat will use more water than a hand wash.if you see the stains as you do wash youíre more likely to get them out. None of the boat compatible machines do as good a job as the speed queens at home. Even though we have a watermaker find it nice that after we do the wash we can use that water to clean other stuff easily. The splendid locker has been repurposed for a place to hang foulies. Nuff said.

gulfsail 07-19-2019 05:03 PM

Is anyone out there using the wonder washer? If so, how does that work for you?

This looks the same, only significantly larger.

MarkofSeaLife 07-20-2019 02:56 AM

Scroll down the linked page to the photo with the dude. That's one big contraption to store somewhere.

We used a bucket and plunger. Works goodly and bucket has other uses.

Since I have been solo I use the lajbdromat or the laundry...
Yes there's a cost but it's not too bad for me.

krisscross 07-20-2019 06:11 PM

Also bucket user. Works pretty fast and you can pre wash in sea water without worrying about corrosion of washer parts.

RegisteredUser 07-21-2019 08:45 PM

Depends on latitude really.
Cycle very very few cloths in warmish clime.
If not in a nasty harbor you can dangle pant shirt etc over board with rope thru arm or leg holes.
Bedding is rhe bigger deal