40 yr old teak decks - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 Old 07-23-2019

Re: 40 yr old teak decks

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
I'm sure cost is a factor, but I think there's more to the decline in teak decks than just that. It's an outdated, inferior material to many minds, and there's a definite trend toward simple and functional. I'm guessing that putting two identical boats side by side, same cost, one with teak decks and the other with synthetic or glass, the majority will choose the latter, maybe by a very wide margin.
I can't say where the majority would come down, but it's true that teak decks are not for everyone. Since it's cheaper not to have them, it stands to reason that would be more popular. Just like an inground pool, they cost more and for some people are a deterrent, while for others an attraction.

Another teak dynamic is that it was being harvested unsustainably and has become harder and even more expensive to source now. The production manufacturers needed so much, it became impractical. I think France, for example, even banned several sources for environmental and social reasons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 07-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
.....I've seen a 4 year old survey and it is positive overall......l
Totally irrelevant, I wouldn't consider a survey that was 6 months old to be worth the paper it was written on. Not all surveys are done with your same interest either. Some are just being done to assess a value and safe condition for an insurance company, other only to justify a value to finance. Folks shop their surveyor for these reasons. Most don't pay to have one get into the nitty gritty, but certainly should.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #33 of 35 Old 07-23-2019
Old soul

Quote:
So one thing I'm doing is comparing value with apples to apples in mind. I've seen a Pearson 424 sloop. Nearly an identical layout. No teak decks, just toe rail, cockpit combing. It's been sailing the Caribbean for the last 4 years so its outfitted for cruising. Solar, generator, refrigeration, radar, davits, watermaker, autopilot. All the bells and whistles. Asking $56k.

The Bob Perry boat has a higher build quality than the Pearson, it's faster. Generally selling for a higher price point. Asking prices around $120k. Its a striking boat with the teak decks and it has a black hull. Seems like these two things make it harder to sell. Not outfitted for cruising at all. Doesn't even have refrigeration. Good things are its repowered but with a Volvo, rigging and electronics are 5 years old. Asking price is $65k. Seller is flexible on price since it will need to be outfitted. I've seen a 4 year old survey and it is positive overall.

Really the only downer about the Pearson is that I already own one, a 367. Feels like I'd be moving from a Toyota carolla up to a Camry. Lol
Sounds like a tough call, and I have no where near the necessary info to make an informed decision. Nor can tell which one really makes your heart sing, which to my mind IS an important factor when buying a boat.

IF the teak decks are in good shape ó and Iíd seriously NOT trust the seller on this one ó then the recent repowering and re-rigging is worth serious plusses. Not sure what boat you are looking at, but if it is significantly better designed and built vs the Pearson (which are known as good boats), then that also adds weight on that side of the column.

I discount most electronics; the basics are relatively cheap. Radar can be big, but where are you cruising? If the Caribbean, then my understanding is that radar is rarely needed. Refrigeration? Having just done the job itís not that expensive (boat buck or two) and not that hard to install in an existing ice box. Autopilot of some sort if essential, and that can be pricey. Not sure how the dark hull factors in. Iíve only ever owned light coloured ones.

Not sure how this all balances out in your calculations, but these are how I would balance what youíve said.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

post #34 of 35 Old 07-23-2019 Thread Starter

Of course I've been reading everything I can on teak decks and dark hulls. This is an Airex cored hull which adds a good deal of insulation. I dont think taking the boat to the tropics will make a big difference in cabin temp but one thing that's cropped up in my reading is dark colors on cored hulls can lead to delamination.
post #35 of 35 Old 07-23-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Of course I've been reading everything I can on teak decks and dark hulls. This is an Airex cored hull which adds a good deal of insulation. I dont think taking the boat to the tropics will make a big difference in cabin temp but one thing that's cropped up in my reading is dark colors on cored hulls can lead to delamination.
Interesting. My Rafiki has an Airex cored hull. Itís down to a couple of feet above the start of the keel encasement, so not 100%. This boat is definitely well insulated. Stays cool well into the heat of day, and stays warm well into the night. Also insulated against sound, so I sleep well.

Not sure if this is insulating character is due to the Airex, or simply because my hull is so damn thick anyway.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in