SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Perkins 30hp oil question (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/330670-perkins-30hp-oil-question.html)

cdy 07-20-2019 10:56 AM

Perkins 30hp oil question

I have a new to me Perkins 30hp diesel with a ZF 10m transmission - ( in a Liberty 28 - 1988) a little vague as to the best oil to use - boat is in Florida - also best to us for transmission? - unfortunately no owners manual for either

dinosdad 07-20-2019 12:24 PM

Re: Perkins 30hp oil question

If it's a perkins perama m30 , it was recommended by the staff at tad diesel ( trans Atlantic diesel) to use rotella 15-40. They'd also deal with zf/hurth transmissions, worth a call to get their recommendations,
Great people with lots of knowledge !

MikeOReilly 07-20-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosdad (Post 2051615984)
If it's a perkins perama m30 , it was recommended by the staff at tad diesel ( trans Atlantic diesel) to use rotella 15-40. They'd also deal with zf/hurth transmissions, worth a call to get their recommendations,
Great people with lots of knowledge !

This is what Iíve settled on: Rotella 15-40. The Perkins manual I have recommends straight 30, but I think it was written a long time ago. Iíve had many diesel mechanics recommend this oil.

JimsCAL 07-20-2019 05:17 PM

You will have to do a bit of research about the transmission oil. Some use engine oil and some use ATF.

tempest 07-21-2019 04:27 AM

Minnewaska 07-23-2019 07:13 AM

Perkins is still around, isn't it? Why not reach out and ask them?

I find all sorts of rumor, witchcraft, snake oil, etc, etc, that folks really believe about oil. Even some pros, who have done no science, they've just convinced themselves somehow.

I'd trust the OEM first, then any pro who could adequately explain how they scientifically reached a different conclusion second.

Degas 07-23-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051616432)
Perkins is still around, isn't it? Why not reach out and ask them?

I find all sorts of rumor, witchcraft, snake oil, etc, etc, that folks really believe about oil. Even some pros, who have done no science, they've just convinced themselves somehow.

I'd trust the OEM first, then any pro who could adequately explain how they scientifically reached a different conclusion second.

Say that louder so the people in back can hear.

I've received excellent, accurate information from trained professionals with long experience just by dialing the manufacturer's toll-free number.

We sailors pay a premium for the word "marine" on the label. Expert advice is included in the price, so don't waste it.