Cheap PHRF sail boats - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 07-28-2019 Thread Starter

Cheap PHRF sail boats

Hello,

So my wife and I are planing to get back on sail and I had post about a Alberg 37 I was interrest on buying for us to sail, leave and tarvel the World, I end um getting so much good info that made me thing alot .

our budge is not ideal, but maybe we can save money for 1 or 2 more years and have a bigger budge for a better boat to be our boat for a coule of years.

We sail when young but I have not sail a bot on the last 10 years, my idea is to buy maybe a boat thet we could do come costal crusing, maybe a weekend trip and so some racing around where we Leave(MA- USA), something maybe under 10? But that could be good for us to leanr handle a bigger boat.

Any idea, is craze to do that? or maybe we could finda a cheaper boat for sail for 2 years and save money for a much better boat.

Thinking about someing bigger then a 22 that could behive like a bigger boat, Would be great some info or ideas what we should get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-28-2019

Re: Cheap PHRF sail boats

Pretty much all sailboats have a PHRF rating , even our boat does . My vote is a older Catalina 27 or a 30 , but that is more a west coast boat (I think) . But my basic thought is 27 or 30 foot boat that has a fairly modern look to it , And standing head room . After a few years you should be able to sell it relatively easy . Good luck keep us posted .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A

Last edited by Markwesti; 07-28-2019 at 03:43 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-28-2019
cdy

Cal 29

post #4 of 17 Old 07-29-2019

Agree that almost any boat will have a PHRF rating, but some will be better choices if you want to do a bit of racing. At that budget, an older C&C or J would be where I would look.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #5 of 17 Old 07-29-2019
1968 Columbia 50

If you do wind up waiting and saving, you might want to go to your yacht club, and find out when they have their beer can races and volunteer to crew on one of those(just ask around, or post on the bulletin board). These days some owners have a hard time finding crew, and to find a regular volunteer or two would be of great benefit to them. The learning curve will be steep, and more often than not a great time, while learning handling, sail trim and the like. At the same time, volunteer to help with maintenance. I don't know an owner who would pass up a volunteer to help with a bottom job, or whatever. Finding the right fit for captain and yourselves might take a bit as some captains have "Ahab" tendencies, and some are pretty mellow. Find the mellow one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
The Following User Says Thank You to SV Siren For This Useful Post:
Moonrow (07-29-2019)
post #6 of 17 Old 07-29-2019

Until a couple of weeks ago, we co-owned a 1976 Catalina 27 and raced PHRF on a local river. She was a great way to learn and as time went by we progressed from dead last to sometimes 2nd or 3rd if the conditions and course favored us (but we could never beat the J80). A decent head sail and a spinnaker would have helped but she was certainly a cheap and fun way to learn. Now we are trying to upgrade to get a more comfortable cruiser.

In our race there is also a Catalina 25 (I think that's the size) that does very well so that would also be a possibility.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-29-2019
Administrator

A couple quick thoughts here, the best PHRF boats are boats which sail well at across the broadest range of wind speeds. Every dog will have its day, but consistent good performance generally does the best over the season. But a boat that sails well in all conditions will always be in the hunt. The good news is that these are typically the best boats to learn on. Of course the best boats to learn on are a one design class since you can tell how you are doing and get tips from other members of the class.

Unless you are in a really low-stress fleet, then boats like the Catalina 27 are disproportionately expensive to race (even though cheap to buy) because competitive racing genoas for those boats are quite expensive and are comparatively short-lived. Racing a Catalina 25 or Catalina 30 is an exercise in pure masochism.

Off the top of my head, some of the better inexpensive 28-35 foot PHRF options might include:
J-30, J-29, Laser 28, Beneteau First Class 8, S2-9.1,Soverel 30, Capri 30, Santana 30-30, Lindenberg 28, Olsen 911, Wavelength 30, Farr 1020, Tartan 10, Beneteau First Class 10, Jeanneau JOD, Express 34 (most will be too expensive) Santana 35, Schock 35.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #8 of 17 Old 07-29-2019 Thread Starter

Thank you Jeff, that is some great information, will start to look around and get prices on sails for some off does boats, I know I saw a S2 - 9.1 close to us for a good price and very well maintain.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-30-2019

Cheap PHRF is an oxymoron. If you are going to race it will cost you. A boat that is competitive in PHRF will cost you more than the same boat not geared for PHRF. Unless you are on a small lake or in a very small town, being competitive in PHRF means a variety of sails, that need to be replaced often to stay competitive. Most of my racing was on 35 to 42 foot boats and I would guess the owner bought a new sail every other year. My guess is it would take $4000+ a year to stay competitive in a 35+ foot boat. The only cheap way to race in on OPB.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #10 of 17 Old 07-30-2019

One thing to keep in mind is that, unlike 'design rules' like the IOR, PHRF assigns a rating to allow all sorts of sail boats to race in classes where they should have a chance to win by sailing up to their 'rating'.
i.e. there is no such thing as a boat "designed" to this system.
OTOH there are recognizable hull shapes resulting from several older design rules, like MORC, IOR (this varies by version of the IOR you specify) and some others.

So, while you do not have to spend a lot of money to do well in handicap racing, some things like sail shape do need to be more optimal to allow you to grow your skills. Worth remembering is even at the upper levels of club racing you will generally get beat by another skipper and crew that are simply Better at sailing their boat. i.e. skill will usually overcome less efficient sails and deck gear. That's worth remembering when tempted to spend $$ to "buy" your way into trophies.
For general sailing it's best to have good sail shape, anyway. After all, that is what drives the boat and makes sailing fun.

More practice at sail evolutions and helming will get you closer to being competitive, but it will take a season of starts to to begin to get to the finish line with the other boats. (When I was racing a OD small keel boat we were getting about 40 or so starts or more per season, and by the third season were winning trophies in a fleet of about 20 boats.)

Also, regular racing will make you a Much Better sailor and shorten up the general learning curve a lot. The real purpose of "racing" is become a competent sailor, after all. If all that you really need to be happy is a trophy, just buy one and display it on your mantel. Much cheaper. Then you can take up golf.
jephotog and Moonrow like this.

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in