Crossing the North Atlantic East to West - SailNet Community
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 07-30-2019 Thread Starter

Crossing the North Atlantic East to West

Greta sails the north Atlantic in a high tech boat.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...5PDv4n0gO7y8Mg

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 07-30-2019

Dock
Re: Crossing the North Atlantic East to West

Hate to say this... But I will anyway, but you'all already knew that, LOL....

This sort of stuff leaves me cold.
She's a passenger on a crewed 60 boat shoving her parents political opinions down people throats.

And she gets Press???

As for the carbon footprint required in the construction of this boat its probably more than a village full of Africans combined expend for life.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 42 Old 07-30-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Hate to say this... But I will anyway, but you'all already knew that, LOL....

This sort of stuff leaves me cold.
She's a passenger on a crewed 60 boat shoving her parents political opinions down people throats.

And she gets Press???

As for the carbon footprint required in the construction of this boat its probably more than a village full of Africans combined expend for life.
Likely true.... but we live in a world of media - marketing and sound bytes. It's pretty much impossible to have no carbon footprint.... but it is possible to reduce one's carbon footprint etc.

Regardless I think it's pretty cool for ANYONE to make such a passage.
MarkofSeaLife and john61ct like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #4 of 42 Old 07-30-2019

Dock

That might possibly have been the dumbest thing I have ever read.

I note that her father is the film maker who is documenting the journey. So this is less about raising awareness and more about a gimick for personal gain.
post #5 of 42 Old 07-30-2019

More inspiring than Al Gore for sure.

A great cause and only hope tens of millions young women rise up and General Strike until we get up off our butts.

While we dead farts don't give hoot sit and argue against the obvious, a great civilisation in another way does exactly that:
https://mobile.twitter.com/DrGetahun...66965774405633

That's half a million per minute. I'm guessing 5+ million workers, not counting management / admin.
Minnesail likes this.
post #6 of 42 Old 07-30-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

While we dead farts don't give hoot sit and argue against the obvious, a great civilisation in another way does exactly that:
https://mobile.twitter.com/DrGetahun...66965774405633

That's half a million per minute. I'm guessing 5+ million workers, not counting management / admin.
Yep, the Ethiopian tree planting was excellent. Thats people doing something.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #7 of 42 Old 07-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
The boat was already constructed; it’s not being built specially for this trip.

And unless Greta is on record someplace saying that we should all live like aborigines in little huts, I don’t see the validity of the village comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
I note that her father is the film maker who is documenting the journey. So this is less about raising awareness and more about a gimick for personal gain.
What is the personal gain? I missed the part where they’re monetizing this for their own wealth.

I feel like some of you read a different article.

A girl gets a ride across an ocean on a high-tech race boat. Cool! Good for her.

She’s charismatic and is talking about an issue we should care about, so she gets a few blurbs on news sites. And this crowd goes sour grapes on her? Huh.

I say “Go Greta!” I hope she has a great trip, and I hope she keeps talking.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #8 of 42 Old 07-30-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
What is the personal gain? I missed the part where they’re monetizing this for their own wealth.
Well, film makers make money making films. That's how the industry works.

And on the surface, yes, good for her having a great sailing experience. Nevermind that the plane she would have ridden on is also already built and will make the trip regardless of her participation.

But let's be real. She's a 16 year old girl. Having raised a few teens and known many more, I'm confident in saying that they as a group are not rational or logical people. Physiologically it will another 8-9 years before the rational part of her brain is even fully developed.

So, looking at it through that lense, she is being exploited towards a political end, which I think is horrible.
CVAT likes this.
post #9 of 42 Old 07-30-2019

What a horrible zeitgeist to view reality through.

So brainwashing your kids for the fossil fuel interests, that climate change is not a urgent crisis that requires drastic immediate changes to our political systems

is not "political"?

Youth are desperately needed to Lead the Way on this, any encouragement we can give them is not just healthy and positive but responsible parenting.

And of course becoming a multimillionaire international rockstar by 20 would be perfectly fair if she can succeed in getting the young fiercely activated, making change accelerate by any means necessary before it's too late.

Empower the poor, minorities, women to rise up too, all these groups in the frontlines of our environmental devastation, suffering first and the most as always from catastrophes,

while the .01% have helicopters and jets standing by to whisk them away to their boltholes in less affected spots like NZ which they started prepping way back while the spindoctors started undermining public trust in basic reality

just so the FF interests can get a few more decades of obscene profits before being swept away into the dustbin of history.

But youth most of all, must now take the lead, as the opposition dies off all this will be the beginning of a new and obvious mainstream.

Last edited by john61ct; 07-30-2019 at 01:48 PM.
post #10 of 42 Old 07-30-2019

Dock

I suggest raising children and expecting children to be children, not quasi-celebrities who are exploited to manipulate policy.

I don't seek financial advice from teenagers. I'd prefer that my government didn't take policy advice from them either.

And please note, I have not expressed a position on climate change, only the exploitation of a child.
CVAT and wymbly1971 like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in