used sailboat market - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 08-10-2019 Thread Starter
cdy

used sailboat market

In Florida at least seems like the market has collapsed even more for older sailboats on the 25-36 foot range - some is the time of the year - but the economy is humming along - low unemployment - when we hit another recession - what then? There is going to be a lot of abandoned boats or boats donated to charities - the saving grace is that once they get to a certain price point - $3K or under people buy them as housing and anchor out.
max_w101 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-10-2019

Re: used sailboat market

Traveling through Florida from Pensacola to Fernandina Beach, I saw countless sailboats that deserved to be scrapped. Some were horrific eye sores, taking valuable anchoring space. But it costs too much to put them out of misery. Unless tons of boats get scrapped, the used sailboat market will continue to be extremely weak.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #3 of 21 Old 08-10-2019 Thread Starter
cdy

There are a lot of large older boats for sale also - in the 40-50 foot range - that I doubt anyone would buy unless they are dirt cheap - if you have the money to afford the docking, upkeep, insurance, survey you probably have the money to buy a much newer boat ready to go. Maybe if the commune culture comes back and 10 hippies want to live aboard together - could bring the market back.

post #4 of 21 Old 08-10-2019

Soon as that starts, wealthy and middle class jurisdictions will crack down on all liveaboarding.

I believe in most places a boat can be properly disposed of for under $3000 or so?
post #5 of 21 Old 08-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

I believe in most places a boat can be properly disposed of for under $3000 or so?
And who is willing to pay that much if you can give away your boat for nothing or next to nothing?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #6 of 21 Old 08-10-2019

Those that accept a "free" boat are 99% suckers

A boat that costs under say $7,000 that has a sound hull and deck no soft spots, mast & chain plates, keel & rudder, through hulls, solid engine, sound tanks, decent sails & rigging, has been maintained and sailed up to very recently

is worth $10,000 more than a "free" boat not so sound.

The time is coming where more and more people will realize that 99% of the "free" boats out there are more liability than it's worth.

Getting a **good** condition classic plastic for less than you'd pay for a used car is getting easier and easier every year.

Last edited by john61ct; 08-10-2019 at 02:08 PM.
post #7 of 21 Old 08-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Those that accept a "free" boat are 99% suckers
I must be the other 1

Got a $1 boat earlier this year. Wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, kind of thought I might convert it into a speed machine.

Then, unexpectedly, some one offered me a trade on an antique folding SOF kayak in excellent condition. Probably not worth any where close to the $4-6k similar folding SOF kayaks sell new for, but worth one heck of a lot more than $1.

I have seen more free boats on kijiji this year than ever before. I usually ignore them, but if they are small enough and sitting on a road worthy trailer, I find the temptation hard to resist.

post #8 of 21 Old 08-10-2019

Yes, CF members are definitely in the top 1%, often patient and capable of putting in the time money and energy to find the occasional unicorn of a super-valuable boat being given away or for a crazy low price.

Sometimes, it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time, aka Lady Luck.

But increasing those odds requires being in the thick of the boating scene for big chunks of your life.

“Fortune favors the prepared mind.”
— Louis Pasteur
post #9 of 21 Old 08-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I must be the other 1

Got a $1 boat earlier this year. Wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, kind of thought I might convert it into a speed machine.

Then, unexpectedly, some one offered me a trade on an antique folding SOF kayak in excellent condition. Probably not worth any where close to the $4-6k similar folding SOF kayaks sell new for, but worth one heck of a lot more than $1.

I have seen more free boats on kijiji this year than ever before. I usually ignore them, but if they are small enough and sitting on a road worthy trailer, I find the temptation hard to resist.

I don't believe that john61ct has ever owned a sailboat or been sailing.

But he does have opinions.

Last edited by sailpower; 08-11-2019 at 11:36 PM.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-12-2019

The market for smaller, older sailboats is definitely soft here in CT too. My friend had an early 2000's vintage 24 foot Beneteau. I would say the condition of the boat was Good to VG. It had a four stroke Honda outboard (well-maintained), and a clean trailer. Last year, he and his partner decided to part with the boat. He couldn't sell it, he couldn't donate it. He wound up giving it away for free.

This year, I tried to sell my 1979 Oday 23. A soft spot on the deck, but a less-than one year old four stroke, electric start outboard, 8 year old sails, new life lines, new chartplotter, new tiller, new portable toilet, new battery. Clean. I listed the boat for $2500 for a quick sale. I showed the boat four times, but got no offers. After a month, I lowered the price to $1500, got a ton of calls and emails, and wound up selling her for $1300. I consider myself lucky.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in