Zanshin's trip from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Re: Zanshin's trip from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD

Unfortunately the cruising permit that I have will run out by then and it cannot be renewed without the boat leaving the US. I have been thinking about cruising the U.S. East Coast as an alternative. Perhaps I could do a quick trip to Bermuda and then return to renew the cruising permit; although I really wanted to cruise the southern Caribbean this season and would then store the boat south of the hurricane belt in Grenada. I've also thought about going north to Canada and transiting the St. Lawrence Seaway to visit the Great Lakes. But I think I really do prefer the warm water.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 6 Days Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Unfortunately the cruising permit that I have will run out by then and it cannot be renewed without the boat leaving the US. I
Check with CBP. I have a vague recollection it can be extended if the boat us under repair or on the hard. I could be wrong.

If you go to Bermuda if Canada you must surrender your cruising permit first or the 15 days out of the usa does not start.
Quote:

Under CBP policy, non-U.S. residents are not eligible for successive cruising licenses. A new license will not be issued unless the following two conditions have been met: (1) at least 15 days have elapsed since the previous license either expired or was surrendered, and (2) the vessel arrives in the U.S. from a foreign port or place. (Customs Directive 3130-006A) CBP will want to see foreign clearance paperwork as evidence that you are arriving from a foreign location.

Non-residents are cautioned to plan carefully so that the mandatory 15-day period does not fall in the middle of a planned stay in U.S. waters. It may make sense to surrender your cruising license to a CBP Officer when you leave U.S. waters and then obtain a new one when you re-enter the U.S.

Traveling outside of U.S. waters while your cruising license is still in effect does NOT fulfill the 15-day requirement.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #13 of 23 Old 6 Days Ago

Bermuda can be the easiest or hardest 4-5 day passage one might ever make. Timing is everything.

I'd go to Nova Scotia, then back literally next door to Maine, which are amazing cruising grounds in the summer. Make you way down to Buzzards Bay and Narragansett again, before taking off for the Carib next Fall.

I certainly understand the warm water thing, we bareboat down there in the winter for that reason. However, I find there is nothing like a New England summer. Warm days and comfortable nights are the rule. The Spring has been pretty wet lately though.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 23 Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Bermuda can be the easiest or hardest 4-5 day passage one might ever make. Timing is everything.

I'd go to Nova Scotia, then back literally next door to Maine, which are amazing cruising grounds in the summer. Make you way down to Buzzards Bay and Narragansett again, before taking off for the Carib next Fall.

I certainly understand the warm water thing, we bareboat down there in the winter for that reason. However, I find there is nothing like a New England summer. Warm days and comfortable nights are the rule. The Spring has been pretty wet lately though.
and unreliable flukey winds

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #15 of 23 Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
and unreliable flukey winds
and flukey current eddies outside the gulf stream.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #16 of 23 Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Sailing season is pretty good in the Chessy by April. Although, with all due respect to our Chessy members here, is pretty rough (hot, humid and windless) at the height of the summer.
100% accurate. You're lucky if you get one day a week with winds over 8kts in July and August. Once I had the bugs worked out of Khaleesea's new EP in early July, I had to wait weeks for enough wind to get her tested at hull speed.

The winds are tempermental too - windfinder prediction on 8/10 for 8/11 - warm, sunny and 8-9kts all day. Actual -warm, sunny and 4-5kts all day.
post #17 of 23 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter

I've been looking at going down the St. Lawrence River to Montreal (where I spent part of my youth and would like to visit again) and perhaps onwards to Lake Ontario for a season. I'm not sure how it works out with a cruising permit, since a lot of the locks are US Locks rather than Canadian Locks so I don't know if that constitutes going back to the USA if I'm cleared into Canada... But I've got a couple of months to figure that out...

post #18 of 23 Old 2 Days Ago

That sounds like a great trip. Do you mean to sail north above Nova Scotia and into the SLR via the St Lawrence Sound? I think you'd want to wait until at least late June, unless cold and damp are your thing. BTDT

I don't think there are any US locks on that route to Montreal. Indeed there are heading into the Lake Ontario. I'll be curious what you learn about the cruising permit. My guess is that you are transiting under the right to navigate. You'd have to actually stay in the US to need the permit.

Jeanneau 54DS

Last edited by Minnewaska; 2 Days Ago at 01:21 PM.
post #19 of 23 Old 2 Days Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
100% accurate. You're lucky if you get one day a week with winds over 8kts in July and August. Once I had the bugs worked out of Khaleesea's new EP in early July, I had to wait weeks for enough wind to get her tested at hull speed.

The winds are tempermental too - windfinder prediction on 8/10 for 8/11 - warm, sunny and 8-9kts all day. Actual -warm, sunny and 4-5kts all day.
I am surprised our winds are so different as we are only a few miles apart as we’ve experienced the normal dull wind July days , but most of the time we’ve had pretty fair sailing this summer. Maybe it’s because of the narrowing of the Bay up here by Annapolis and all the river ends which generally funnel winds. Also change our sailing times a little to later in the day when the temp difference between land and water produce the rising air over the land filled by cooler air off the water.

We also change to a lighter weight 155 in summer from our usual 135.

But we are through July and the fall winds marked by the 3 day frontal passages and beautiful fall colors are around the corner for the next 3.5 months.
SanderO likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #20 of 23 Old 2 Days Ago

As you know getting your east in to go to the Caribbean is difficult if you’re anything south of of the Chessie. If you go to Bermuda you can decide then if you want to continue to Grenada or Antigua or head to Canada.
I’ve done multiple Bermuda’s. Have never done one without getting beat up either going there or coming back to the Newport area. If your plans are the Caribbean would just get there going a bit south of Bermuda using it only as a bailout point. Bermuda makes St.Barts look cheap for a cruiser if you need to restock or have work done.
Always wanted to sail up the St. Lawrence with the whales playing around me but never got to do that.
In Grenada I’m using Clark’s Court. They get 50 cents a ft. on the hard. My 46’ is costing~ $900US/ month in a hurricane cradle, extra stands and strapped down to satisfy insurance requirements.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in