Zanshin's trip from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 80 Old 08-17-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Zanshin's trip from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD

outbound - when I headed down to the Caribbean after picking up "Zanshin" at Annapolis, I wanted to go via Bermuda. But the weather was pretty bad (early December) and the winds adverse so in the end my course was pretty much a straight line to St. Martin. It took just under 8 days from Norfolk to Marigot. I might take "Zanshin" down in November and store her at the North Sound yard in Antigua until I can cruise in March; otherwise wintering in Annapolis but I doubt that I'd want to start cruising there in March...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 80 Old 08-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I am surprised our winds are so different as we are only a few miles apart as we’ve experienced the normal dull wind July days , but most of the time we’ve had pretty fair sailing this summer. Maybe it’s because of the narrowing of the Bay up here by Annapolis and all the river ends which generally funnel winds. Also change our sailing times a little to later in the day when the temp difference between land and water produce the rising air over the land filled by cooler air off the water.

We also change to a lighter weight 155 in summer from our usual 135.

But we are through July and the fall winds marked by the 3 day frontal passages and beautiful fall colors are around the corner for the next 3.5 months.
A typical summer day in Herring Bay is 4-5kt winds, often less. Once a week, maybe, 8-10, once a month, 10+. We do see an uptick later in the day sometimes.

I think you're right that the narrower bay in Annapolis makes for stronger winds. My wife and I did our training out of Edgewater, and the winds were always stronger there.

Looking forward to the transition winds. Now that I'm on electric propulsion, I can take advantage of good sailing days, even in winter, since I don't have to winterize the motor. A few years back it was 75 on Christmas Eve. Had the boat not been closed I would have gone out.
post #23 of 80 Old 08-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
outbound - when I headed down to the Caribbean after picking up "Zanshin" at Annapolis, I wanted to go via Bermuda. But the weather was pretty bad (early December) and the winds adverse so in the end my course was pretty much a straight line to St. Martin. It took just under 8 days from Norfolk to Marigot. I might take "Zanshin" down in November and store her at the North Sound yard in Antigua until I can cruise in March; otherwise wintering in Annapolis but I doubt that I'd want to start cruising there in March...
Depends. Spring weather in MD is wildly unpredictable. Record lows in March touch single digits, record highs hit 90. One year we had both our first real snowfall and first 80+ day in the last week of March.

post #24 of 80 Old 12-08-2019

Zan,

I saw you post in another thread and wondered how your refit is going in Annapolis.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #25 of 80 Old 12-09-2019 Thread Starter

The refit is coming along, but delayed. Sparcraft promised 10 weeks but it is has been over 25 weeks for the mast. It has finally arrived and is being mounted this week. I might be able to sail away at the end of the year (there's no space left on the hardstand so it is either sail to the Caribbean or leave it in the water somewhere in Annapolis).
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

post #26 of 80 Old 12-09-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
The refit is coming along, but delayed. Sparcraft promised 10 weeks but it is has been over 25 weeks for the mast. It has finally arrived and is being mounted this week. I might be able to sail away at the end of the year (there's no space left on the hardstand so it is either sail to the Caribbean or leave it in the water somewhere in Annapolis).
Neither Jabins or Port Annapolis has space? That’s unusual.

We have our boat in the water on a creek nearby ( Whitehall). It’s about 2.5 nm away. Deep water. 11 ft at our slip.

There is both water and land space I think. Hinckley has control of the yard. Whitehall Marina in charge of the docks (John White)

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 12-09-2019 at 02:20 AM.
post #27 of 80 Old 12-09-2019

Dock

Quote:
I might be able to sail away at the end of the year (there's no space left on the hardstand so it is either sail to the Caribbean.... .

Get the hell down south to the warmth. And send us some photos because it's cold here!

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #28 of 80 Old 12-09-2019

Omen to cruise New England next summer.

Sorry to hear about the delays.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #29 of 80 Old 12-09-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Get the hell down south to the warmth. And send us some photos because it's cold here!

Going around Hatterass this time of year is probably not a great move.
There has been a steady steam of nor’easters . This could continue through March with fronts moving through every few days through winter.

I think his draft precludes him from doing the inter coastal in many spots.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #30 of 80 Old 12-09-2019 Thread Starter

I want to get back to warm waters as soon as possible. Considering my last trip from Norfolk to St. Martin was done in early December and I averaged over 8 knots sailing speed on that trip and still have the (now fixed) engine and 1000l of diesel to burn I think that if I wait in Norfolk for a weather window I should be well offshore and can avoid the worst of northeasters. I have a SSB and used Parker's weather information last trip and will do so again this time. But all this is still not certain since it all depends upon the schedule for the refit.

There was a lot of work done:
  • Complete tenting and repainting the hull
  • All new deck hardware (lifelines and stanchions)
  • New mast - painted white because the 2 castings didn't match in color
  • New mainsail
  • Lots of new electronics from chartplotter to next-gen radar
  • New cutlass bearing as the old one turned out to be badly installed
  • New rudder bearing
  • 1100Ah of batteries plus new bowthruster battery bank
  • Lots of new teak on deck - rubstrike, rubrail, etc.
  • New bimini with reinforced solar panel areas
  • Many, many items of "small stuff" which doesn't look so small on the invoices

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in