Zanshin's trip from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 80 Old 12-15-2019

Re: Zanshin's trip from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Because scum like me could then live on the border forever.
I can get a 6 month visa into Canada each year, as I can with the USA. i could live 6 months of the year in Montreal and sail 42 miles to Champlain for the other 6 months. Forever.
How does that differ from going back and forth from FL to the Bahamas, which is the most common method.

I poked around the USCBP site but couldn't find where it defined foreign port to exclude Canada. Might be there, it started to make my eyes bleed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 80 Old 12-15-2019

Hi Zanshin
Obviously for selfish reasons we would love to see you back in Antigua but nonetheless, I have very different advice from CBP on Canada - they were quite explicit that it would count as exiting the USA. The timing is awkward as the old cruising permit cannot be ‘cancelled’ when you exit so it has to be that you were out while it expired and then re-enter and apply.

In terms of being contacted during transit of NYC, that would be the coast guard as you were entering the Traffic Management Scheme and had not previously provided those details. Everyone entering the area is monitored and gets the call if their details are not already on the system and up to date. We had the same drill as we passed Sandy Hook coming into the Outer Harbour and so did several others coming behind but the local boats did not get hailed.
post #73 of 80 Old 12-15-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
How does that differ from going back and forth from FL to the Bahamas, which is the most common method.

I poked around the USCBP site but couldn't find where it defined foreign port to exclude Canada. Might be there, it started to make my eyes bleed.

Because the Canadian government and the USA government have many agreements that help each other control their borders.

Not so much in the Bahamas. Its not a mass movement border. No road or common land border.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #74 of 80 Old 12-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Because the Canadian government and the USA government have many agreements that help each other control their borders.

Not so much in the Bahamas. Its not a mass movement border. No road or common land border.
Ok, but I'm not really following why a 50nm boat ride to Bimini is more legit than one from Maine to Nova Scotia. Unlike on roads, there aren't US and Canadian boarder patrol agents on either side of the maritime border. Nearly everything in the Bahamas comes from the US mainland. Either way, you still have to spend 15 days there.

Ultimately, I'd love to see this Canadian exempt rule in print somewhere. I've read the cruising permit rule, which makes no mention of excluding any foreign ports. It only lists those countries of registration that are allowed to apply in the first place, which of course, includes Germany. I'm not saying it authoritatively doesn't exist, only that I've never seen it or heard of it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #75 of 80 Old 12-15-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telesail View Post
Hi Zanshin
Obviously for selfish reasons we would love to see you back in Antigua but nonetheless, I have very different advice from CBP on Canada - they were quite explicit that it would count as exiting the USA...
I wonder if I just had the wrong officer on the phone when I asked. I've heard that a lot of the rules surrounding the cruising permit can be applied and ignored haphazardly and this might have been the case. I know I did search all the available paperwork for somewhere where it stated that Canadian ports did not count and didn't find anything. I do know that when it comes to visas that leaving the USA for Canada did not count for changing my entry status several years ago; I was in the USA on a business visa waiting for my H1-b visa to go through. When the new visa was issued I found out that I couldn't fly up to Toronto and then return as a legal foreign worker but ended up having to fly overseas (in this case I was headed for Japan on business anyway, so it didn't bother me). So I'm used to the US making exceptions for Canadian trips and wasn't surprised when I heard that going up the coast to Canada wouldn't count for allowing me to renew the cruising permit.

In any case, "Alea iacta est" since I've bought my tickets to the US for early January

post #76 of 80 Old 12-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
....I've heard that a lot of the rules surrounding the cruising permit can be applied and ignored haphazardly.....
I'm afraid this could be true.

You'll probably not love Maryland in January, but all the best on the passage. I hope Zanshin has good heat.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #77 of 80 Old 12-17-2019 Thread Starter

I have terrible heat aboard - only used it when I originally sailed from Annapolis - Norfolk and even when the boat was new it sucked. I'm going to have revert to using internally generated "Single-Malt" heat this time around.
chef2sail and MarkofSeaLife like this.

post #78 of 80 Old 12-17-2019

Single handed in January, without heat. Three or four days to warm weather? More? How do you say big cojones in German.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #79 of 80 Old 12-18-2019 Thread Starter

It isn't that the heat doesn't work at all, it is just that it doesn't create a comfortably warm cabin. Once across the Gulf Stream the water temperature jumps to over 25c so at least the cold isn't seeping up through the hull and then it is only a couple of days before the foulies come off. I still have all my layered clothing aboard from the last trip, but this time I have a real sailing jacket (Skâgen from HH) instead of a cheap rainjacket from Aldi so I'm good to go. I've been watching the weather and it certainly looks like it won't be smooth. But if I can get as much easting done as early as possible I'll not have to bash against the waves but just coast across them.

Last edited by Zanshin; 12-18-2019 at 01:10 PM.
post #80 of 80 Old 12-18-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Have some good lined boots to. Highs next week in the 30s we’ve already had some snow and ice

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in