SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Zanshin's trip from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/330880-zanshins-trip-newport-ri-annapolis-md.html)

Zanshin 08-11-2019 08:12 AM

Zanshin's trip from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD

I promised to post some pictures of the trip in the lengthy Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning thread and I'm doing it in this new thread as the other was waaay too long.

I used a free internet site called travelmap and put together a quick trip, but used up all my 100 free pictures. I thought that the site would show them in the 4K glory that I uploaded them as, but they had scaled them down to something much smaller, but at least I am posting some pictures for those who believe that this trip, like the moon landing 50 years ago, was faked :)

Zanshin's Trip from Newport to Annapolis

Minnewaska 08-11-2019 08:42 AM

Re: Zanshin's trip from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD

Nice recap Zan. A good buddy of mine used to live in Annapolis and always used Jabins. I hope your refit goes well. Keep us posted.

How long till recovered and where to next?

rbrasi 08-11-2019 11:00 AM

Good stuff. Must have been nice to not worry about bridge height for a change!

Zanshin 08-11-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrasi (Post 2051619504)
Good stuff. Must have been nice to not worry about bridge height for a change!

How true, although I had enough to worry about with the keel depth. In the Caribbean the depths quickly go to off-soundings once you leave land and on the whole trip I never had triple-digit depths. A lot of the time only a single-digit below the keel... The new mast is on order, so I won't be going back the same way!

MarkofSeaLife 08-11-2019 11:56 AM

Well done!

The pain of the hurricane nearly 2 years ago is almost over!

Mark

capta 08-11-2019 03:39 PM

I've delivered a few post-hurricane damaged boats and I've got to take my hat off to you. What you are going through is way more than I probably would have done on my own boat. Nikki & I wish you all the best.

Telesail 08-11-2019 06:14 PM

Nice trip report.

We enjoyed seeing you in Newport just before the off and will look forward to running into you figuratively when back down south again.

chef2sail 08-11-2019 09:16 PM

Good report Zan,

Let me know when your back in Annapolis, we can share a few beers and crab cakes

BTW of all the iconic pictures of NYC you posted ......Rikkers Island Prison made me chuckle😃😃😃

Zanshin 08-12-2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 2051619510)
Well done!
The pain of the hurricane nearly 2 years ago is almost over!
Mark

I wish it were so... I'm getting some large and some small invoices from Annapolis for the repairs - items such as new paint job (ouch - that's gotten quite expensive), new mast, rig, lifelines, bimini. But at least that's only money and is less painful than lost time and opportunity. It now looks like the boat will be ready in November and I have to decide when to sail her back to the Caribbean. My current employer won't let me leave until February next year, so a quick vacation to sail her down to Antigua and put her on the hard will be the first step towards future cruising.

Minnewaska 08-12-2019 05:25 PM

Zan, if you canít depart until late winter, youíre running right back toward Hurricane season. Why not consider a US cruise next summer and leave for the South at the end of H-season. Sailing season is pretty good in the Chessy by April. Although, with all due respect to our Chessy members here, is pretty rough (hot, humid and windless) at the height of the summer. However, back track up to New England. There are countless places to visit. Newport is most touristy.