Zanshin's trip from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Cool Zanshin's trip from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD

I promised to post some pictures of the trip in the lengthy Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning thread and I'm doing it in this new thread as the other was waaay too long.

I used a free internet site called travelmap and put together a quick trip, but used up all my 100 free pictures. I thought that the site would show them in the 4K glory that I uploaded them as, but they had scaled them down to something much smaller, but at least I am posting some pictures for those who believe that this trip, like the moon landing 50 years ago, was faked

Zanshin's Trip from Newport to Annapolis
SanderO and jwoytek like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Zanshin's trip from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD

Nice recap Zan. A good buddy of mine used to live in Annapolis and always used Jabins. I hope your refit goes well. Keep us posted.

How long till recovered and where to next?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago

Good stuff. Must have been nice to not worry about bridge height for a change!

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR

post #4 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
Good stuff. Must have been nice to not worry about bridge height for a change!
How true, although I had enough to worry about with the keel depth. In the Caribbean the depths quickly go to off-soundings once you leave land and on the whole trip I never had triple-digit depths. A lot of the time only a single-digit below the keel... The new mast is on order, so I won't be going back the same way!

post #5 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago

Dock

Well done!

The pain of the hurricane nearly 2 years ago is almost over!

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #6 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago
Master Mariner

I've delivered a few post-hurricane damaged boats and I've got to take my hat off to you. What you are going through is way more than I probably would have done on my own boat. Nikki & I wish you all the best.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago

Nice trip report.

We enjoyed seeing you in Newport just before the off and will look forward to running into you figuratively when back down south again.
post #8 of 23 Old 1 Week Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Good report Zan,

Let me know when your back in Annapolis, we can share a few beers and crab cakes

BTW of all the iconic pictures of NYC you posted ......Rikkers Island Prison made me chuckle😃😃😃

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #9 of 23 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Well done!
The pain of the hurricane nearly 2 years ago is almost over!
Mark
I wish it were so... I'm getting some large and some small invoices from Annapolis for the repairs - items such as new paint job (ouch - that's gotten quite expensive), new mast, rig, lifelines, bimini. But at least that's only money and is less painful than lost time and opportunity. It now looks like the boat will be ready in November and I have to decide when to sail her back to the Caribbean. My current employer won't let me leave until February next year, so a quick vacation to sail her down to Antigua and put her on the hard will be the first step towards future cruising.
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.

post #10 of 23 Old 6 Days Ago

Zan, if you can’t depart until late winter, you’re running right back toward Hurricane season. Why not consider a US cruise next summer and leave for the South at the end of H-season. Sailing season is pretty good in the Chessy by April. Although, with all due respect to our Chessy members here, is pretty rough (hot, humid and windless) at the height of the summer. However, back track up to New England. There are countless places to visit. Newport is most touristy.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in