Sailboat and Powerboat collide outside Newport - Page 15 - SailNet Community
 92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 143 Old 08-24-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Sailboat and Powerboat collide outside Newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
I apologize, my friend, I really have no idea what you just said. Or, of the point that you're trying to make.
Iíll take one more crack at it. Assume, for the sake of making my point that 20% of boaters have training and 80% of boaters do not. If only 20% of fatalities are caused by those with training, itís doesnít prove the training had any impact on the fatality rate. Youíd have to show that significantly fewer than 20% of fatalities involved boaters with training to be able to say it had a statistical impact.

One more way to say it. 83% of the population has brown eyes. If 83% of the accidents involve people with brown eyes, it does not mean that people with blue and green eyes are safer.

Quote:
What I do know, is that the States with the highest numbers of registered boaters and the highest number of Fatalities, have had, for a long time, the least restrictive rules regarding training. ( in some cases no rules) That is changing.
New York, California, Texas, Florida have all recently passed boating safety laws. These are being phased in, so it will take years to see if there is any impact. Those 4 states account for over 30% of the fatalities.
Letís put this to use now. Those four states, according to the link below have 32.2% of all the registered boats in the country. There is no correlation to their reported lax training rules. Itís only cause thatís where the 30% of boats are.

In fact, if you were correct, youíd want to see that only 10% of the registered boats were in these states, when they disproportionately had 30% of fatalities. But they donít.

Make sense?

https://www.discoverboating.com/reso...-registrations

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 143 Old 08-24-2019

Yes, I see what you're saying. I don't think we can know, just by the laws or lack of them alone how many boaters have had training. I could live in NY where there was scant training requirements yet still have held a license or volunteered to received training elsewhere: Power Squadron, USCG, Navy, CG Auxiliary etc. Also, a registered boat doesn't necessarily equate to a boat that gets used.

What we do know is that 80 % of the people who die in a boating accident have received no training at all. That said, most of the deaths are on small open boats and Jet skis etc. on inland waters. Sailboats are not a not a big contributor.

Interestingly, Florida's new law says you can purchase any sized vessel at all, and operate it without any training whatsoever, for 90 days. Sounds to me like a successful lobbying effort.

I know of few activities where less or no training produces positive results. If your argument is that Boater safety training would not result in fewer fatalities, Or that there's no evidence that it would. I guess we'll have to see how it goes now with those states that have decided to implement programs.

If I were implementing rules, I'd certainly target the most likely suspects, I don't think making sailors take a required course will have a significant impact.

If Saving lives were the ultimate goal, I would imagine that making it a requirement that everyone on an open boat 25 foot or less wear a life jacket, might save more lives than making everyone in the universe take a course. Along with Periodic DUI stops. But, there's no political will to do that. So they blanket everyone lest they offend someone.

One last comment, Let's assume that the Sailor of this thread that was killed had training. If the other Boater did not ( don't know) , it would show up in the stats as a " trained" fatality. Raw numbers don't tell a complete story. They need some additional context. ie How many fatalities of trained boaters were caused by untrained or inebriated ones or visa versa.

Last edited by tempest; 08-24-2019 at 04:16 PM.
post #143 of 143 Old 08-25-2019 Thread Starter

If everyone were required to learn to sail, there might be fewer powerboats.
Minnesail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in