Sailboat and Powerboat collide outside Newport - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 105 Old 6 Days Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Sailboat and Powerboat collide outside Newport

You can’t license or legislate stupid or common sense. Too often people today
Think that the government putting a regulation license in place is the answer and will change the result

Only a severe penalty through incarceration and monetary will give the senseless pause when they do stupid things

Very tragic. Heart goes out to her family and friends for this senseless act

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 105 Old 6 Days Ago
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Iím open to what would improve the situation and reduce accidents. However, nearly every state already has mandatory boater safety certification, which includes the ColRegs.
Rhode Island Boating Education Requirements:
All operators born on or after January 1, 1986, must have the Rhode Island Certificate of Boating Safety Education to operate a vessel powered by a motor of more than 10 horsepower. All operators, regardless of age, must have successfully completed an approved boater education course to operate a personal watercraft (PWC).

So if you are over 33 and you're not operating a PWC, you can buy ANY boat and have at it without ANY awareness of the COLREGS...

Because there is no license required to operate a vessel, an operator could be guilty of any infraction (OUI/BUI, manslaughter, negligent operation, etc.) and as long as they're not in jail, continue to legally operate a vessel.
SanderO likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #23 of 105 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Iím certainly fine expanding the cert requirement to all. I do object to simply paying money for a renewed license periodically, like I do for my car. That does nearly nothing. Still, Iím not sure I see a statistical correlation to accidents. I would hope it would work, but Iím skeptical.

Nevertheless, do we know the age of the powerboat operator or if they were even from R.I.? Ironic that PWC operators are the worst.
SanderO and DinghyRace like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #24 of 105 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

For interest, here is some data I found (most recent years used). I focused on fatalities, as they’re likely reported. Not all accidents are.

In 2016, there were almost 6 fatalities per 100,000 boats on the water.

In 2017, there were almost 15 fatalities per 100,000 vehicles on the road.

Both stats have improved significantly over the years. These may not be fair comparisons, given different speeds and proximities, but non-licensed boaters are ostensibly less likely to kill someone.

Where instruction was known, 77% of deaths occurred on boats where the operator did not receive boating safety instruction. Interesting. Hard to say if that’s causal or just representative of the population currently required to have one.

80% of boat fatalities were drowning and 80% of those were off boats less than 21 ft in length.

All just food for thought. Obviously, States like RI will eventually require all Residents to be certified, as older ones age out. NY just recently began phasing out the DOB exemptions.

To be sure I’m not misleading, I personally have all of these safety certs and then some. State, BoatUS, Safety at Sea, numerous ASA and US sailing courses and have passed all the testing for my OUPV, Master a Sailing endorsement (never filed for the licenses, as I don’t need them).

I don’t think these make me safe. I think the fact that I’m the type of person to do them, without being required is. So far.

https://americanboating.org/boating_fatality.asp
https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-ve...ths-and-rates/
DinghyRace likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #25 of 105 Old 5 Days Ago

License to operate ANYTHING should never come with automatic renewal. Periodic testing should be required. It may be costly but it would save property and lives. I see many older drivers who should not be on the road based on what I perceive about their driving competence.

Sorry to say that the right to boat reminds me of the right to own weapons argument. There are no "god given" rights. Rights are granted by the state... and they can be altered and removed.
JimMcGee likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 3 Days Ago at 09:17 AM.
post #26 of 105 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Just to be devils advocate, the most recently tested licensees are teenagers and they have the highest accident rate.

It could be personal responsibility, basic know how and experience that drive safety, not state sponsored testing. Most auto drivers still speed.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #27 of 105 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

I donít recall anyone using the term right. Maybe I missed it.

This isnít a question of rights, it a question of what societyís ruling system decides everyone must do, within that society. In the US, thatís the majority forcing itís opinion on the minority, regardless of whether they can support their opinion factually. Imperfect, but better than other systems, I suppose.

I assume you donít believe there is a right to universal health care either. 😉

The inalienable rights in the US are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. We added, freedom of speech, equal protection under the law, etc.

I canít really think of any other reason for recreational boating to exist, other than the pursuit of happiness. 😁
DinghyRace likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #28 of 105 Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
I donít recall anyone using the term right. Maybe I missed it.

This isnít a question of rights, it a question of what societyís ruling system decides everyone must do, within that society. In the US, thatís the majority forcing itís opinion on the minority, regardless of whether they can support their opinion factually. Imperfect, but better than other systems, I suppose.

I assume you donít believe there is a right to universal health care either. 😉

The inalienable rights in the US are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. We added, freedom of speech, equal protection under the law, etc.

I canít really think of any other reason for recreational boating to exist, other than the pursuit of happiness. 😁
Pursuit of happiness is a empty, undefined and useless standard.

Please close this thread because it's going political.

post #29 of 105 Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:

Never take for granted that anyone knows or seems to care about the rules.
The weekend boating crowds on the water is one of the reasons why I like to stay put on summer weekends. I'll sail over to nearby Port Jefferson and pick up a mooring at the Yacht Club on Thursday or early Friday morning and stay there until Monday before heading back.
I settle in and spend the time working on board and enjoying an occasional meal on shore. Iíve been listening to a lot more warning blasts from the Bridgeport/PJ ferry in the harbor recently as boaters seem oblivious to the maneuvering needs of ships and other boats. For me itís much more enjoyable to sail the area after the weekend crowds have all gone home.
SanderO and LetsGetWet like this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

post #30 of 105 Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
The weekend boating crowds on the water is one of the reasons why I like to stay put on summer weekends. I'll sail over to nearby Port Jefferson and pick up a mooring at the Yacht Club on Thursday or early Friday morning and stay there until Monday before heading back.
I settle in and spend the time working on board and enjoying an occasional meal on shore. Iíve been listening to a lot more warning blasts from the Bridgeport/PJ ferry in the harbor recently as boaters seem oblivious to the maneuvering needs of ships and other boats. For me itís much more enjoyable to sail the area after the weekend crowds have all gone home.
This past weekend every LI boater was out on the water. We had one of our grand daughters aboard and she wanted to "go somewhere"... so we headed to the close by lovely pond at Eaton's Neck. I expected at most 4 or 5 sailboats... and it's often empty and peaceful... not a house in sight. WOW the place was full of small power boats with as Dani calls them... floaties. I think there were 3 sailboats and maybe 30 stink pots... anchored one on top of the other. We had lunch below and left... and of course suffered from huge wakes as the stink pots headed out or returned from LIS. Way too many boats. But what can be done? Nothing.
mbianka likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in