SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sailboat and Powerboat collide outside Newport (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/330892-sailboat-powerboat-collide-outside-newport.html)

Minnewaska 08-12-2019 12:01 PM

Sailboat and Powerboat collide outside Newport

Sadly a woman on the sailboat was killed in the collision. We were sailing just north of this incident, shortly before it occurred. The Bay was very busy, with boats of all kinds going in all directions. My wife and I commented on how it was clearly the height of the season.

In fact, we had a large (estimate 45-50ft) powerboat approaching us at full cruise speed on a collision course, from our port side. We were motor sailing, at that moment, with just the main up. No matter whether the stinkpot thought we were sailing or motoring, we were stand on. He had plenty of room to maneuver, but he plowed right through. I had to back down to let him cross our bow by about 50 ft.

Never take for granted that anyone knows or seems to care about the rules.

https://www.providencejournal.com/ne...ts-pell-bridge

Telesail 08-12-2019 05:16 PM

Re: Sailboat and Powerboat collide outside Newport

Sailing Anarchy front page has a tribute to the lady who died on their front page. Very sad and I am sure that there will be more news stories about exactly what happened but it seems likely that the motor boat just did not take any notice of the rules of the road.

Minnewaska 08-12-2019 05:19 PM

As I suspected. Lots of it on the Bay this time of year.

RegisteredUser 08-12-2019 05:29 PM

I operate similar to how i rode my motos, assuming i am not seen.
This is so, so unneccssary.
I assume all powerboaters are drunk, have attitude, are on auto, etc.
I am usually the 1st to blink. They can come up so fast

outbound 08-12-2019 06:11 PM

There should be a penalty between wrongful death and man slaughter to take care of incidents like this and impaired driving. Think her family and that of the marine motorcyclists would agree. Obligatory incarceration seems to be in order.

RegisteredUser 08-12-2019 06:43 PM

I dont think punishment is the cure for this problem, speaking broadly

Minnewaska 08-12-2019 06:54 PM

With all the friendly banter between sailboats and powerboats aside, I've heard serious animosity expressed by many powerboaters that they need to give way. They literally don't understand they are more maneuverable, they have no idea what makes a sailboat sail. Add summer heat, cranky passengers, motion sickness, or whatever and some act out on their frustrations and get belligerent about their approach. They push the limits or play chicken. The jerk that crossed my bow on Sunday, played chicken and I backed down, even though I was stand on. Then there are those that are simply too stupid to know the rules.

The difficulty with any fines or imprisonment is that, by definition in the ColRegs, each party is responsible to avoid every collision.

Ninefingers 08-12-2019 07:15 PM

I had a sailboat come right at me this weekend from a distance. I was on starboard tack and close hauled. I waited for him to either bear off to pass to my port, (not the best move for him because he would be ddw), or simply head up from his broad reach to cross my bow. He did neither. At 100 feet away, I had to pinch. Just then a gust hit and I rounded up away from him, which was actually a good outcome. He smiled and waved along with his oblivious guests. Hailed him on 16, but of course he wasn't monitoring.

I've actually had more close calls with sailboats around here.

capta 08-12-2019 07:56 PM

I think it foolish to assume that just because someone is operating a sailboat, they are more familiar with the ColRegs than some guy operating a powerboat.

SanderO 08-12-2019 08:18 PM

I simply avoid any close encounters with all recreational boaters. I don't assume anyone on the water knows or follows coleregs.

Very sad story.