• 1 Post By mstern
  • 5 Post By fallard
  • 1 Post By Minnesail
  • 1 Post By capta
  • 2 Post By Minnesail

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-17-2019 Thread Starter

Used book sale - going out of business

I just received an email from these folks. Apparently, the owner has passed on and they are closing up shop. I forget what I purchased there. It was probably " From Sandy Hook to 62 degrees." Which is the History of the Sandy Hook Pilots. A terrific read! Some of these books are difficult to find anymore. Lot's of Historical books if that's of interest. Some Pricey, others not so much.

So, for the readers out there, I thought I'd share their Website. The email said they'd be closing up by the End of Sept.

https://www.seaoceanbooks.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-18-2019

Re: Used book sale - going out of business

Reminds me of a nautical bookstore we used to have in Newport. You could get any cruising guide, history book, how to guide, chart, etc, etc. I used to like just walking around. It closed several years ago. I'm sure the internet steamrolled these guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-18-2019

Dock

Thanks for sharing! I've been buying my dad nautical type books for all "gift occasions" for about 30 years.

Of course, he had a couple days to kill in Seattle last week as was on the way to Alaska. Day late, dollar short :-)

I'll be ordering some goodies from them. I've mostly bought the interesting stuff from my local used book stores.

John King Books is local to me. It's kinda dangerous. I don't think I've ever left without lightening my wallet by at least $100. https://www.rarebooklink.com/

post #4 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Reminds me of a nautical bookstore we used to have in Newport. You could get any cruising guide, history book, how to guide, chart, etc, etc. I used to like just walking around. It closed several years ago. I'm sure the internet steamrolled these guys.
Ah, the "Armchair Sailor".... I do miss that place. I could spend a couple of hours there while my wife went into every store on Thames Street and touched every piece of merchandise. A win-win.

The Armchair Sailor had a great selection of modern and historical nautical fiction too. I don't think I ever left that place without buying at least a couple of books.

I must reluctantly agree that Amazon and it's ilk were probably a big reason for their demise.
Minnewaska likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
Ah, the "Armchair Sailor".... I do miss that place. I could spend a couple of hours there while my wife went into every store on Thames Street and touched every piece of merchandise. A win-win.

The Armchair Sailor had a great selection of modern and historical nautical fiction too. I don't think I ever left that place without buying at least a couple of books.

I must reluctantly agree that Amazon and it's ilk were probably a big reason for their demise.
It wasn’t just books at the Armchair Sailor, it was also about the encyclopedic knowledge of the proprietor.

Case in point: An acquaintance from the Seattle area, who had sailed south upon retirement, thru the Panama Canal and around the Caribbean for 2 years, and was headed for the St Lawrence River, found himself stopped by cold, wet weather in Marblehead for a few weeks. He decided to turn back and use the Erie Canal to reach the Great Lakes, with the intention of going as far west as possible before having the boat trucked back to Puget Sound.

Well, he sailed back to Newport and stopped at the Armchair Sailor for the charts to navigate the Hudson and the Erie Canal, only to find out—from the owner of Armchair Sailor—that the Erie Canal was closed due to winter damage. Now what?

Well, the owner suggested Lake Champlain and the canal to the St Lawrence. But it appeared that my friend had too much draft for the canal. Not to be discouraged, the owner called the canal authority and found that they could increase the depth by a foot with 24 hour notice.

And that’s how my friend got to the Great Lakes. Wouldn’t have happened if he bought charts from the internet. Many of us will continue to miss the whole atmosphere of the Armchair Sailor.
post #6 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I just ordered a couple books. Found a Christmas present for my dad (he loves Antarctic stuff).
tempest likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #7 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

I ordered a copy of the American Practical Navigator. I haven't had one since being capsized 3 times in a tropical cyclone off Fiji some years back. A great book.
tempest likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 9 Old 3 Weeks Ago

My books showed up. Wow, what attention to packaging!

I order a fair number of books from used book stores and sometimes they're just tossed in manilla envelopes and away we go.

The two books I ordered were carefully wrapped (Christmas present style) in plain paper, then sealed in bubble wrap. Then there was another layer of bubble wrap to keep them from moving in the box.

They were first editions, but not terribly valuable ones, so I didn't expect that level of care. Especially since they're going out of business and have no need to impress to retain customers.
RegisteredUser and tempest like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #9 of 9 Old 3 Weeks Ago

They know...and they actually cared

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in