When is it time to sell the boat? - SailNet Community
 64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

When is it time to sell the boat?

Hey Y'all, I'm looking for some input on when it's time to sell the boat. My heart says keep it, but my logic says sell it off and pay off that remaining school debt. I bought my Aloha 32 with intentions of sailing it down into the Caribbean from Lake Erie, but I have since gotten married and moved 90 minutes from the lake. My desires to sail south have been put on the back burner and I'm settling down into married life and buying a house soon. I rarely use my boat anymore, and I don't really enjoy short jaunts out for a quick sail and instead only enjoy traveling to different ports on lake erie (which i lack the time to do anymore due to work). The problem is - I love the boat and have a crazy emotional sentimental attachment to the boat. It doesn't make sense to keep it anymore and pay the upkeep and dockage expenses. Has anyone else been faced with this same situation?
BarryL, SanderO, pdqaltair and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: When is it time to sell the boat?

Read your own post. You have already answered the question. Buy another boat someday when the need sings to you. Stuff happens. Enjoy your life.
olson34, BarryL, JimMcGee and 6 others like this.
post #3 of 43 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Ditto. I remember getting the boat I really wanted just before having my first child. Two summers later my wife was pregnant again and we used the boat for six hours--three two hour sails--in five months. Sold it.

After a few years, thankfully, I was able to return to being a serial boat buyer. It's sort of like being a serial killer, only more socially acceptable.
BarryL likes this.

post #4 of 43 Old 4 Weeks Ago

List it for sale and see what happens. Use it until it sells; it may take awhile.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #5 of 43 Old 4 Weeks Ago

The OP answers itself. However, I hate reading that one gives up something they love for something else they love. Love is fragile and in weaker moments, things like this become cancerous. I don't mean to be overly dramatic. A break for a while, because your family is more important, is just fine. Perhaps you'll get back to it one day.

Has to be the OP's call. I'd consider whether there is a local lake and get a small dinghy or day sailor. A cooler and some apps for an evening sail with your wife can be very nice, for both. Like you, we are always trying to get to another port. When the opportunity presents itself to do 3 kts, in a light breeze, with no where to go and all day to get there, its incredibly relaxing. Perhaps move closer to the lake, do you have to be 90 mins away?
GeorgiaTerrapin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 43 Old 4 Weeks Ago

This post raises some (many) interesting issues with owning a boat. There are many way to use a boat... and that will of course depend on its size. If it is large enough to live on with some level of comfort this offers a range of possibilities... such as simply getting away from your dirt place and spending time on the water even without voyaging anywhere. To make this type of use work the boat needs to be kept in a pleasant place. And that may not be a marina. I personally have no interest in living aboard in a marina.. Others may find it appealing.

If the boat is not too large or complex... it can be more easily sailed and without crew... though that means an AP... and some navigation gear. Large boats represent more issues including expense and maintenance. But they comfortably accommodate more people on board.

So the calculus will include where you live... and how close it is to your boat... because long travel to do a day sail gets old fast. How far is too far to go to get to your boat? And of course parking can be an issue too. How many people are going to be on board... for a sail or for over night? Staying aboard means meals and things like showering and more stowage.

I think the options for use open up for boats around 30' if several are going to use it together for anything more than a short day sail. But there is lots to take care of and it only increases as the size goes up. If you're just staying on the water the boat still needs maintenance, just like a house. It's not a hotel room... you take take of it. Is it worth the time and money? Also is the weather a factor? Would you prefer to be aboard on a rainy weekend or at home on dirt doing dirt stuff like movies and so forth?

Would a larger or small boat change your use? Or one closer to where you live? Is whatever the total cost of ownership worth it? At some point an expensive asset which is not used makes no sense to keep. So you need to USE it or move on.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #7 of 43 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

You're just married. You probably need the boat as a dog box for when you are in trouble with the missus. You can keep it stocked with beer so when the wife barks you can suddenly say: "OMG I forgot to leave the bilge pump on! I gotta race to the boat!" then when the beer supply is exhausted u text her to see if she has calmed down.

Either that or sell the boat and buy a tent for the back lawn for when you're in trouble.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #8 of 43 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I was in this position a few years back, newish job, sailboat 90 minutes away on Lake Ontario. A kid (2 now). Driving down to the boat yard every two weeks all winter long to check snow loads etc.

I sold mine and have no regrets.

Bought a trailer sailer instead that stays in my driveway. Some times I just go out to the drive way to hang out on the boat.

Usually when she goes in the water its for a week or more of gunkholing and exploring.

I keep a collection of even smaller boats for day sailing on the week end.
post #9 of 43 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I've sold boats when I was no longer using them well, and then bought another that fit my needs. No big deal. To me, it makes me sad to have a boat just sit at the dock, deteriorating. I'd rather someone else was using it.

Most recently I down sized from a cruising boat to a speedster. I may switch back to a cruiser when I retire for good. I don't know yet, so why hold on to a cruiser that isn't right for me now?
MarkofSeaLife and Arcb like this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #10 of 43 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Haleakula is my wife and myself sanctuary away from our working lives and the hum drum routines which owning a home and still working can bring. We love where we live, love our home and friends, but it is a refuge for Us. A place to go to together. A place where we bond with each other.

We’ve taken many coastal trip with her. We get along very well and work together 35 feet apart. We share many experiences and sights together. It adds to our marriage and bonding.

We have learned that this is important for our marriage to be successful. Spending time together strengthens us and our marriage.

The day will/ May come when we can’t physically take care of Haleakula, but until that time she maintains an important place in our lives .
chall03 and JimMcGee like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in