22Likes
  • 10 Post By skills4lou
  • 3 Post By Jeff_H
  • 4 Post By skills4lou
  • 5 Post By skills4lou

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Yay!!

About 3 weeks ago I finally got my chance to take our San Juan 21 up to the lake. Unfortunately, we discovered very quickly that my wife does NOT, and I repeat NOT like her first sailing experience to be in 10-15 knot winds and heeling over about 20 degrees. So much so that we spent about 45 minutes with her crying and terrified while I sailed us back and forth to get back upwind to the doc. Not a great first outing.

Fast foward to yesterday. This time we took 2 of the kids along also, and waited for predicted 2-3 knot winds max. We had to wait a bit after putting her in the water for the wind to die off a bit more (early morning storm passed through). While we waited we went into the marina restaurant for a snack and some hydration, and the waitress was not very helpful with the whole situation. She kept saying that anyone who would go out in that weather was crazy, and really freaked my wife out.
Nevermind the ninny in the restaurant, the winds were light and steady so we headed out onto the lake. I had my youngest run the tiller to keep us pointed into the wind, and my daughter and I put the main on and reefed it. No jib. Then we turned the motor off and started sailing. Slowly, but very much in control and not heeling at all. We spent a couple hours while I taught everyone the basics of how to tack, how to gybe and then we spent an hour on man overboard drills. We have one white fender, and my daughter named it Mr. Moonbob. So, Mr. Moonbob spent some time in the water. Everyone was having fun, no problems at all. I was pretty proud of my 12 yr old. He got Mr. Moonbob back onboard the first time, putting us into irons with the fender right an easy reach over the leeward gunwale. My daughter took 4 tries, but Mr. Moonbob did finally make it back aboard.

After playing around we decided to head farther upwind and tried to make it to Wild Horse Island. As you can imagine with only a reefed main the boat was quite slow. Fun, but slow. My wife suggested that we could at least try the full main, so we shook out the reef and hoisted the main. A little better, but still quite tame. It took a LOT for her to even get back on the boat, so I didn't want to push it and ask for the jib. Thankfully, she actually brought it up in conversation, and I explained that it would certainly make the boat heel a bit more, but we would make much better progress. After some assurances she said, 'Let's try it, and if it's too much just bring it back down'. SoI again had my son put us in irons while my daughter and I went forward to rig up the jib, then everyone back into the cockpit and I told the boy to turn us off close hauled. The sails filled, we heeled to about 10 and the look on my son's face said it all: He's hooked! Wife and daughter were having fun as well. All told I might have had the helm 20 minutes, the rest of the time was the kids or wife getting a feel for things.
All told we spent about 5 hrs on the water, everyone had fun and even my wife can't wait to get back out again!
So in the course of two outings we went from terrified panic and tears, to "Let's go again tomorrow!" Yay for us!
Here's a link to a couple of pics from Saturday: https://photos.app.goo.gl/83W58GKZDLYmk6RF8
Jeff_H, BarryL, HUGOSALT and 7 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Yay!!

Great stuff!
post #3 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Wow that must have been some experience for you that first day!

Nice result in the end though 8-D

post #4 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

What is it about heeling? So many people freak. I think because their minds refuse to understand they could be wrong. It's not going to fall over so grow up and be like a 12 year old!

Anyway, great day sailing. Well done. Glad the kids love it.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #5 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Great photos!

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #6 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

That is a super story in all ways. I am glad that your family is moving progressively along the path of becoming sailors. 57 years ago I was your 12 year old son.

I wish you all the best as you and each of your family enjoy the process of becoming a sailing family. Be safe,

Jeff
MarkofSeaLife, capta and flyrod like this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #7 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Good save!
post #8 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
What is it about heeling? So many people freak. I think because their minds refuse to understand they could be wrong. It's not going to fall over so grow up and be like a 12 year old!

Anyway, great day sailing. Well done. Glad the kids love it.
It was the combination of heeling and she felt like we were out of control because she didn't understand what was going on. And when we went out the first time the winds were very variable, so one minute we'd be sailing and in a second or two we'd be head to wind with sails flapping before I could get it turned off again. I had tried explaining everything I could for weeks before hand, but it's hard to do that sitting on the trailer in our driveway.
I went so far as to list the boat for sale, she was that panicked. Note: after the second outing she said, "well, now you have pull the ad". [emoji3]

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

We got up to the lake again yesterday, this time with my older son who is autistic. He had previously vowed to never get on the boat. After the previous outing, his siblings talked him into it. By the end of the day he had gone from "no way am I getting on the boat" to "Next time we go sailing maybe we can camp on the boat?!"

That, my friends, is what I call a great day sailing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in