Protecting cockpit from torrential rains? How to? - SailNet Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Protecting cockpit from torrential rains? How to?

I am in the process of reviving teak that has about 30 years worth of varnish on it old varnish at dock and from time to time we have torrential rains that enter most of the cockpit notwithstanding my full bimini to dodger cover. All the electrical tools I have get soaked real quick unless I am alert enough to gather them all back to their homes in the cabin area.

I am mulling over ways to prevent that and am thinking about a minimalist solution where I would use a couple of PVC pipes attached to the bimini/dodger structure with big box available tarpaulins of not so great a size hanging off them and tied off using the grommets to the deck cleats and stanchion bases.

Has anyone attempted anything like this and if you have found a “better mousetrap” solution to the torrential downpour situation I would love to know.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Re: Protecting cockpit from torrential rains? How to?

Wouldn't a full enclosure incorporating the bimini and dodger do the trick? Any canvas shop can make it and you should have a completely dry cockpit and a nice place to hang out in inclement weather.
chef2sail likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago

The OP's plan sounds fine for a make shift enclosure. A real integrated enclosure can substantially expand living space aboard. Ours remains installed in the Spring and sometimes, in late Fall. Of course, I prefer weather that does not demand it's need. We're sailing the first of May, each season, solely due to the protection of the enclosure.

Another consideration for the OP is that varnish does not like to cure well in very high humidity, such as when raining or drying out from recent rain. It can get cloudy. Holding that moisture inside an enclosure would make that stage worse. Just keeping rain off the tools works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

When I did a summer or 2 in Grenada (where I met CaptA) the rain comes in squalls that you really can't believe. An inch of rain (25mms) in an hour or less is not uncommon.
But the hardware stores have cheap tarps - grey-silver - that are very affordable and stop it. A full range of sizes from just a few feet sq to truck size, and they have the gimlets (ummm whats the correct term for the tie down holes with 'brass' fittings?) to lash the thing to the toe rails.

Could be the answer.

Mark
zeehag likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #5 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
A full range of sizes from just a few feet sq to truck size, and they have the gimlets (ummm whats the correct term for the tie down holes with 'brass' fittings?) to lash the thing to the toe rails.

Could be the answer.

Mark

Grommet is the brass ring in a tarp.

Gimlet is a martini with a cocktail onion instead of olive.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #6 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Grommet is the brass ring in a tarp.

Gimlet is a martini with a cocktail onion instead of olive.
I'll take the Gimlet, please. Shaken, not stirred.

jephotog and zeehag like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #7 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I'll take the Gimlet, please. Shaken, not stirred.

Woops just looked it up. Gimlet is Gin and lime juice, which actually sounds better, I think it is a Gibson with the cocktail onion.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
post #8 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Woops just looked it up. Gimlet is Gin and lime juice, which actually sounds better, I think it is a Gibson with the cocktail onion.
Exactly, I was going to jump down your throat.

A good gimlet is a beauty to behold.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #9 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Exactly, I was going to jump down your throat.

A good gimlet is a beauty to behold.
I don't do Gin. I think it dates back to when I was a toddler and my parents were entertaining and I picked up my dad's glass of water (gin). I took a big gulp and started crying. My tastebuds for Gin never recovered.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
post #10 of 20 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasjzl View Post
Has anyone attempted anything like this and if you have found a “better mousetrap” solution to the torrential downpour situation I would love to know.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
I think a full enclosure would be a great addition to a boat's long season. I would guess they would run around $10,000 or close to it. While more than a tarp a boom tent should cost a lot less and give a nice bit of shade or rain protection when needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Boom Tent.jpeg  

Jordan
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in