"10 Day" countdown is on for my departure to the Bahamas - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 42 Old 09-07-2019

Re: "10 Day" countdown is on for my departure to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
You are probably having grave thoughts about your plans for the Bahamas after the Hurricane.

All I can think is that the Bahamas needs you desperately now. Even though the Exumas have been untouched, tourism in the whole of the Bahamas will be badly affected. Its these tourism dollars that the local population exist upon.

Even in the untouched south people will be pinching for the foreseeable future. Every meal on shore, every souvenir you buy, every tour you do will help the people there more than any other year.

Mark
We are heading south for our second trip to the Bahamas (currently in the northern Chesapeake, won’t move on to the ICW until later in October). Last year we went from the Abacos to Eleuthera, Exumas, and back through before returning to Southern New England for the summer.

When we became aware of the devastation, Mr. cthoops said the same thing as you did, Mark. Our tourism dollars, even if they are a tiny drop in the bucket, will be needed even more now.

There are hundreds of islands that weren’t physically affected by Dorian. We are definitely still going. Guyfromthenorth, hope to see you down there!

"Pegu Club"
1977 Bristol 29.9

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to cthoops For This Useful Post:
MarkofSeaLife (09-07-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 09-08-2019 Thread Starter

It's 0343am EST and I'm pulling into buffalo after doing 14hr in a force 7. A bit tired! We did 7 days to shoot Huron st Clair (both rivers) and Erie. We have full plans to still go to the bahamas of course. I'm used to disaster zones, I have been a wildfire fighter for the majority of my adult life. If I can help (dollars or sweat) I'm all over it. Trip of a lifetime!

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 42 Old 09-08-2019

Dock

Buffalo???

Take care of your navigation. That river gets messy.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #34 of 42 Old 09-08-2019 Thread Starter

Tnx mark. Holding up at the park marina by the south entry for now. Need some sleep!
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

post #35 of 42 Old 09-08-2019

I just read an article that Abaco may be permanently doomed. There is some consideration for fully evacuating it. The billions it will take to rebuild may not ever be available (or perhaps justified economically), especially given the funds required on the big islands.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #36 of 42 Old 09-08-2019

Are you doing Erie Canal or Welland Canal? Welland seems easier.
post #37 of 42 Old 09-08-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I just read an article that Abaco may be permanently doomed. There is some consideration for fully evacuating it. The billions it will take to rebuild may not ever be available (or perhaps justified economically), especially given the funds required on the big islands.
LOL

I love the way politicians think they can just 'evacuate' people who have lived in an area for generations.
Is this just because they are poorer than most?
There would be a line up of Hollywood celebs trying to buy a bit of secluded beach front now the local people have been chucked out?
Remember, some families have been there since 1783.

Quote:

Nearly all the white 'plantation' Loyalists that arrived were accompanied by freed Blacks who had fought with the British and Creole workers who had chosen loyalty rather than stay in America to risk being taken over by rebel slave owners.
But the cotton plantations they recreated were soon to fail due to the poor soil, it's erosion and insect infestations. So not being commercially viable, most estate owners moved elsewhere, some leaving their land to be divided up between those workers that had followed them, as subsistence farming was going to be their only foreseeable future.
But many plantations were just abandoned, so in 1896 the British Government passed a commonage act which bequeathed the land to those families that had worked on them
http://www.redcoat.me.uk/bahamas.htm

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 09-08-2019 at 09:04 AM.
post #38 of 42 Old 09-08-2019

Turning some very vulnerable coastal areas into nature preserves often makes a lot of sense in every way. It boosts tourism and limits development to areas where its safer for people and wildlife.
chef2sail likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #39 of 42 Old 09-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
LOL

I love the way politicians think they can just 'evacuate' people who have lived in an area for generations.
Is this just because they are poorer than most? .....
It was just one report, so I don't know it's true, but it's not an awful idea. Unless Abaco can justify the economic cost of rebuilding, just to be blown down again, it probably shouldn't be rebuilt.

The Bahamas have always short changed the out islands. I imagine there is some greed involved, but suspect it's simply because there isn't enough to go around 70+ islands in such an inefficient manner. Where do the estimated billions they say it will cost to rebuild just Abaco come from?

I suppose, if one wanted to stay, without the government rebuilding roads, power, water, schools, etc, they could or should. Or they could rebuild on their own. It would set them back in their standard of living by about 200 years.

Things change, we can't keep everything the way we found it in our short time on the planet. Abaco was not originally inhabited by it's current population, nor any of it's ancestors. Everything changes.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #40 of 42 Old 09-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromthenorth View Post
It's 0343am EST and I'm pulling into buffalo after doing 14hr in a force 7. A bit tired! We did 7 days to shoot Huron st Clair (both rivers) and Erie. We have full plans to still go to the bahamas of course. I'm used to disaster zones, I have been a wildfire fighter for the majority of my adult life. If I can help (dollars or sweat) I'm all over it. Trip of a lifetime!
We crossed Lake Erie from Erie, PA to Port Colborne, ON yesterday. The last few hours were rough. Glad you made it safe to port.
MarkofSeaLife and Minnesail like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in