"10 Day" countdown is on for my departure to the Bahamas - SailNet Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

"10 Day" countdown is on for my departure to the Bahamas

Well, it's terrifying and exciting, but the 10 day countdown is on. I've done alot of refitting over the last year, but especially over the last few weeks, but she should be good to go now. There are a couple scary milestones that still exist. I have to get from the North Channel of Huron (Sault Ste Marie) to Buffalo New York for the Erie Canal, at which point I'm dropping the mast with RCR and hopefully they will help me build supports to carry the mast to the Hudson. I don't think I can build those supports by myself so I hope they come through on that, when I asked a couple months back they said they should be able to help out.

Right now the race is just finalizing the house sale (closes on Aug. 30th) and emptying it's contents. I've sold 90% of my belongings at this point and am moving big furniture to storage tomorrow. I'll be sleeping on a foam pad on my floors by this Monday lol. The other race is beating winter and the closing of the canals (Oct. 15th). It's about 500nm~ from my home port to Buffalo, I'm allotting myself 12 days to do that. Then I return home for a friends wedding on Sept 14th, then right back to my boat to drop the stick and hit the Canals by Sept. 16th. That will give me a month before the canals close, and almost 30 days to do what in theory is a "9 day trip".

I figure the further south I am the less rushed things get (running from winter). So many thoughts, fears, but good feelings too. Taking a year off work to do the trip feels great, I've needed a break for a long time. I'm testing the brand new AP (EV-100) Saturday and fixing some minor plumbing items and then she is officially good to go. I spent almost 3k between boat insurance for out of country use and health insurance for 212 days (can't be covered outside of that apparently), and probably 5k in the last couple weeks for upgrades\repairs, but I'm doing my best to cover all the important bases!

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock
Re: "10 Day" countdown is on for my departure to the Bahamas

At least you know you're alive

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (4 Weeks Ago)
post #3 of 42 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Learning the HARD way...

Good luck with the sale, and enjoy the trip!

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 42 Old 4 Weeks Ago
One of None

Good luck! just be very sure of your weather Windows going to the Bahamas this time of the year

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
The Following User Says Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 42 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Just in the event you haven't bookedmarked this. Keep a close eye on them, the canal can get jammed up, particularly from Fall storms.

Notices and Alerts - New York State Canals

All the best on your cruise.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 42 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

You really don't need to hurry south, as you probably don't want to cross to the Bahamas until at least early November. It's been an unusually quiet season which may have the consequence of mother nature having to get real busy late in the season to catch up to the hurricane forecasters' forecasts. It is possible that there may even be an out of 'season' storm this year (late November or December), with a strong likelihood of that storm hitting the Bahamas. However, considering that the Bahamas cover 500+ miles north to south, it may be that winds will not exceed tropical storm force where you are.
Anyway about it, have your weather stations all set when you come out to the east coast and keep a weather eye out. lol
Have fun and enjoy the trip out of the lakes.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 42 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
You really don't need to hurry south, as you probably don't want to cross to the Bahamas until at least early November. It's been an unusually quiet season which may have the consequence of mother nature having to get real busy late in the season to catch up to the hurricane forecasters' forecasts. It is possible that there may even be an out of 'season' storm this year (late November or December), with a strong likelihood of that storm hitting the Bahamas. However, considering that the Bahamas cover 500+ miles north to south, it may be that winds will not exceed tropical storm force where you are.
Anyway about it, have your weather stations all set when you come out to the east coast and keep a weather eye out. lol
Have fun and enjoy the trip out of the lakes.
Thanks Capta, we are definitely in no rush and "planned" to be in FLA\Bahamas sometime in December to give us some leeway from the official storm season. Our only real rush is getting to Virginia because I would consider what VA gets for "winter" is more than tolerable to my Canadian blood. NY however I'm sure could see some good frosts or maybe even snow in October.
capta likes this.

post #8 of 42 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Once you're in the ICW south of the Chesepeak you are pretty safe. But, by jingo, it's cold as far as Florida in November! Maybe not Canadian cold, but it froze this lil koalas 🐾

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #9 of 42 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Congrats on your trip I'm very jealous. What are you using for weather routing? My friend S/V Priaprism last yr used WRI Weather routing ( wriwx.com) and we got excellent service and they updated our routes as we needed. There is also a new service FASTSEAS I just read a n interview that was done with Carolyn @ the boat galley. You might want to also look at that. Carolyn has spent a lot of time in the bahamas and her site has a lot of good info theboatgalley.com

Enjoy your trip, fair winds calm seas and don't try to hand feed the pigs.
post #10 of 42 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
At least you know you're alive
Lol Mark, all in the eye of the beholder I guess. I'll find anything over 80deg boiling for my blood. Look at my thread history, I have a winter one from this past winter in there...
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in