Sailing boredom, or rather why so many unused boats? - Page 10 - SailNet Community
 107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 106 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Sailing boredom, or rather why so many unused boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace74 View Post
We really don't feel the pressure of slip fees and maintenance. We just look at that as the basic costs of boat ownership whether you have a $10K boat or a $50K boat. The pressure would be in the recurring monthly payment of a boat mortgage. And, I'm wondering how many people get out of sailing because they don't see the cost being worth it relative to other things in life they also enjoy doing.
I don't think most see it the way you do. While I agree with you on your perspective over basic costs, the biggest pushback I hear is how the slip fees, winterization and commisioning costs are a large percent of boat value. If they aren't using the boat, it can be cheaper to take a discounted sale than hold onto it. Financing cost just exacerbate this percent of value issue.

On the other hand, I know lots of folks, both boat and airplane owners, who keep their unused toys for emotional reasons. I knew one guy that kept is small single engine airplane for 20 years after he lost his medical certification. He was literally never going to fly again, but it was his dream. These guys surely have no debt on these. Perhaps one could ironically argue that debt will force you to make the decision. That's probably just rationalization.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 106 Old 1 Week Ago

The thing that bothers me the most at boat shows is the shear size of the boats. No wonder it is of no interest. Not enough emphasis on dinghies and small boats, the sort you really learn to sail on and which are fun for younger people. I learned on a beach cat, and at that age, tearing along at 15-20 knots was WAY more fun than wallowing at 6 knots and watching sunsets.

My daughter confirmed this. She was out on my big boat; the trips were fun, but the sailing was dull. She borrowed dinghies (Laser etc) and loved them. Then I got the F-24. She liked that, sailing at double digits. But still a lot for a kid just out of college.

Last weekend we sailed on a Prindle 19 (one of the fastest beach cats). That suited her. We were literally sailing at 3x the speed of slower boats. Pointing high too, when we wanted to. I'm old now, but I kinna want the Prindle now too!
RegisteredUser and Arcb like this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #93 of 106 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace74 View Post
This is a very interesting thread and one I discussed with my wife last night. We are relatively new to sailing as this is only our third season with the boat, a San Juan 28. As a stated in an earlier post, we love to sail but we don't sail every weekend and we have other interests. The tricky part is thinking about our next and possibly last boat and the prospect of having to finance it. And, if we finance a boat we will probably feel more "pressure" to use the boat more often. Under that circumstance, I could see maybe losing some interest in it. I wonder how much do finances have to do with people losing interest in sailing??
We are in the situation you describe, where we moved from on old boat, similar to yours,that was long ago paid for, into a much newer, much bigger boat that we financed. While we do feel like we should be using it as much as possible to justify the cost, we also WANT to use it more, because it is so much faster and more comfortable than our old one. Granted, we have only had her for a year, but she has renewed our interest in sailing and we are excited to explore further afield than we could on out old boat.

As for the comments about big boats vs performance boats, the beauty of dinghies and beach cats is they are cheap. There is no reason you cant have both. Personally, I get my performance sailing fix by racing on other people's boats, and I look forward to using our cruising boat as a mothership when we take my friend's race boat to regattas! Best of both worlds!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
RegisteredUser likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

post #94 of 106 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
The thing that bothers me the most at boat shows is the shear size of the boats. No wonder it is of no interest. Not enough emphasis on dinghies and small boats, the sort you really learn to sail on and which are fun for younger people. I learned on a beach cat, and at that age, tearing along at 15-20 knots was WAY more fun than wallowing at 6 knots and watching sunsets.
What? You mean people really don't need a boat with two helm positions to enjoy sailing?
RegisteredUser likes this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

post #95 of 106 Old 1 Week Ago

Those P19s are cool boats. I have known folks to make 200 mile daily runs in them. Masts seem like pretty big job for one guy though, unless kept in the water.
post #96 of 106 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
What? You mean people really don't need a boat with two helm positions to enjoy sailing?
Perhaps not, but the big open cockpit that the twin helms give you sure is nice!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Minnewaska likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #97 of 106 Old 1 Week Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:

My daughter confirmed this. She was out on my big boat; the trips were fun, but the sailing was dull. She borrowed dinghies (Laser etc) and loved them. Then I got the F-24. She liked that, sailing at double digits. But still a lot for a kid just out of college.

Last weekend we sailed on a Prindle 19 (one of the fastest beach cats). That suited her. We were literally sailing at 3x the speed of slower boats. Pointing high too, when we wanted to. I'm old now, but I kinna want the Prindle now too!
Very true. On all points

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #98 of 106 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
!
I think pimping bigger is better is the only direction keel boat manufacturers have to go. I can't think of any other way to keep consumers consuming.
post #99 of 106 Old 1 Week Ago

I don't know. I think manufacturers have engineered large vessels to be manageable by smaller crews, which makes them more accessible to the consumer. 40 years ago, there were virtually no lines lead to the cockpit and certainly no electric self tailing winches. These innovations have been game changers and larger boats are more comfortable and useful to have guests along. They have their well discussed downsides too, but I think it's demand driven, not foisted upon the consumer.
mbianka and Arcb like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #100 of 106 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I think pimping bigger is better is the only direction keel boat manufacturers have to go. I can't think of any other way to keep consumers consuming.
two big reasons for the bigger boats:

1. Fiberglass: the advent of fiberglass boats meant that a manufacturer's chief competition became his own, older products. An even modestly-cared for plastic boat lasts forever. It becomes a lot harder to make a profit when a buyer can shell out less than half the cost of a new boat for something almost as good. This goes double for new boaters who before might only be able to afford a small new boat. With fiberglass, they could all of a sudden afford a bigger boat. Which leads to reason number two:

2. Smaller boats mean smaller profits. With the market for smaller boats shrinking because of the availability of used boats, the best way to make more money is to make bigger boats.
Arcb likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in