Sailing boredom, or rather why so many unused boats? - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 106 Old 09-07-2019

Re: Sailing boredom, or rather why so many unused boats?

If its market driven, why the decline in cruising boat ownership?

25 years ago the Toronto boat show had an exhibition building dedicated to keel boats. Now there are maybe 8 boats.

The plus is the dinghy floor space seems to be on the rebound and now kayaks have their own wing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 106 Old 09-07-2019

I haven't seen data that there is a decline in cruising boat ownership, but I'm not following the logic. Sales are based upon current demand, not the inventory of past sales.

The indoor shows I've been to, such as the New England boatshow, have also had fewer and fewer keelboats in them. My guess was that the larger vessels in demand are too difficult to get indoors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #103 of 106 Old 09-07-2019

I don't have stats, but I have my doubts that as many people are buying new keel boats today, as they were in the 80s. I wouldnt be surprised if the people buying the big keel boats now, are the same people as those who bought them in the 80s and 90s. I don't think the activuty is attracting a lot of new people.

Multi hulls are a different story.

post #104 of 106 Old 09-07-2019

Arch, I don't think I disagree with your last post, but also don't see how that contradicts the current demand from being for bigger boats.

The last I saw the data, the rise in average boat length wasn't all that dramatic anyway. Just don't feel like looking it up again, but it's out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #105 of 106 Old 09-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't know. I think manufacturers have engineered large vessels to be manageable by smaller crews, which makes them more accessible to the consumer. 40 years ago, there were virtually no lines lead to the cockpit and certainly no electric self tailing winches. These innovations have been game changers and larger boats are more comfortable and useful to have guests along. They have their well discussed downsides too, but I think it's demand driven, not foisted upon the consumer.
I've noticed that larger boats are running into space issues. Port Jeff Yacht Club where I am spending a lot of time this season has over a dozen 500 pound transient moorings. Boats in the 30 to 40 foot range like mine can pick up any one of them. They only have two 600 pound moorings for larger boats. Some had to be turned away Labor day weekend.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #106 of 106 Old 09-07-2019

A lot of things are getting past their expiration date.
Harley is in big trouble. Boomers either have theirs or are aging out. Younger folk either have no interest in riding or are on crotch rockets.
Antiques and other collectibles have no market.
Small keel boats aren’t as fast nor fun to most as compared to other boats/boards/skiffs/moths/cats/tris in terms of appeal to the younger crowd. Bigger keelboats can cruise. Their market share is threatened by multis not smaller boats. Due to cost/beam/aesthetics/other considerations they will be around but market proportion will be higher in boats over 60’.
People are living in cities more than suburbia. The immigration back to cities is primarily fueled by folks under 40. Having something you can blow up or fold up and store in an apartment has great appeal. Having something that costs a small fortune and requires a long commute doesn’t.
SanderO likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 09-07-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in