Yikes. Help. Rope in Prop and Im at sea! - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 40 Old 08-28-2019
Master Mariner

Re: Yikes. Help. Rope in Prop and Im at sea!

I've been overboard deep sea to fix some seams and I know how difficult it is to make that first plunge. If there is going to be a slack in the current and you can heave to, and you have a very good easy ladder, then I would hop over and take a quick look. Be sure you are attached to the boat by a line.
At least you will know if you can rely on your engine.
Good luck, Mark.
Jeff_H, MarkofSeaLife and mbianka like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 Old 08-28-2019

Oh Sh$# Doesn't sound like there's much you can do beyond what you've done.

You locked the shaft, Your plan to sail as close to port and then call for a tow is the most Prudent one!

You could tie ( lash) the dinghy alongside and Hip Tow yourself into port, if that becomes necessary.

I'd avoid using the engine, even to charge, with the shaft spinning free, unless you absolutely have to. I forget if you have a wind generator. Solar to top up and then conserve battery power. Hopefully the wind Gods give you favorable winds.

Maybe you'll come across a good Samaritan willing to assist with an inspection. A Blonde Mermaid perhaps.
zeehag and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Last edited by tempest; 08-28-2019 at 02:45 PM.
post #13 of 40 Old 08-28-2019

Snagged a line while under sail that manifested as a ticking sound on bottom of hull in time with the rotation of free spinning prop. I thought I still had a little thrust but not much and it made an ominous sound like lots of stuff hitting the bottom with prop above idle. Breeze was just right so I sailed into the slip under the main with engine idling in neutral in case needed to brake. Didn't depower soon enough and came in a little hot, threw it in reverse and thrust was negligible. Had a driver go down and it took him 30 minutes to cut the crap free. It was a couple pieces of poly rope with 1lb. lead weights and 4" squares of plywood "floats".
Quote:
If I cant motor upwind I sail to the port entrance, anchor and call for a tow, (its an open seaway and I dont like going under the boat in those conditions)
Seems like your best option to me, the last time I did this I anchored just outside the entrance to call and await the tow trying to stay out of the way. Because I was just outside he was obligated to tow me inside by the bow and THEN side tie to move to the slip. If I'd just moved in 50 yards it would have shaved some off the cost. Both places closed to anchoring, Harbor Patrol boat came by 3 times and I expected him to at least come over and bark at me for anchoring there, but he figured I had it handled I guess.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

"Just call me TB"

post #14 of 40 Old 08-28-2019

Go Pro or or other underwater camera attached to a pole to take quick video of what you are dealing with. Maybe a quick fix if you can go over the side. But, you probably have one or two angry mermaids waiting for you because you broke their hearts in previous passages.
MarkofSeaLife and PhilCarlson like this.

Mike
Currently: Hunkering down for a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 40 Old 08-28-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Well that was crazy.

Went for a swim. Not much to report. I couldn't see much.
Its coming on night here and the current is not slack till after dark so I went upwind and looked upside down from the swim ladder. Nothing'looked' like rope on it but I couldn't see well, rudder was in the way and Im thinking how insane is this. Im a few hundred meters from the shipping lane of the Dover Straits outside Calais and its full ocean stuff. Crazy.

Slapping was still there when I turned the engine on but there appeared thrust but current was still going so I cant be overly sure.

I think it might be fine at low revs for 1nm.... but a tow and an insurance job might be a better idea.

You guys whove splashed about when the boat is at sea have bigger kahunas than me. Crazy.
zeehag likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #16 of 40 Old 08-28-2019 Thread Starter

Dock

Heading into Calais port its 7nms in front of me.
Night entry but Ive been in before

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #17 of 40 Old 08-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Well that was crazy.

Went for a swim. Not much to report. I couldn't see much.

Its coming on night here and the current is not slack till after dark so I went upwind and looked upside down from the swim ladder. Nothing'looked' like rope on it but I couldn't see well, rudder was in the way and Im thinking how insane is this. Im a few hundred meters from the shipping lane of the Dover Straits outside Calais and its full ocean stuff. Crazy.

Slapping was still there when I turned the engine on but there appeared thrust but current was still going so I cant be overly sure.

I think it might be fine at low revs for 1nm.... but a tow and an insurance job might be a better idea.

You guys whove splashed about when the boat is at sea have bigger kahunas than me. Crazy.
Yeah diving under the boat in seas is pretty dangerous! I was cleaning my bottom at the dock when some powerboat wake came in and caused the boat to pitch a bit and I got a good thump on my head when the transom came down on it. I would only do it in calm seas!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
zeehag and MarkofSeaLife like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #18 of 40 Old 08-28-2019
S/V Caper Nonsuch 36

It's probably some type of poly line, the shaft friction will have melted/fused the line into a solid collar around your shaft that will have to be cut with a very sharp stout knife or hacksaw blade. this will take time, not likely able to do easily or safely in a seaway. Best bet is to sail to your harbor and tow or motor in, as noted you cutlass bearing may become damaged with a long stint of motoring. Good luck.
post #19 of 40 Old 08-28-2019

Poly line can even heat up and bind to the point that it locks up the shaft and tears your motor off the mounts.

Although if its been running as much as it has, seems likely the fews bursts required for docking would make it much worse at this point.

A tow from a fellow boater or the marina would gaurantee no more damage is done.
SanderO, zeehag and MarkofSeaLife like this.
post #20 of 40 Old 08-28-2019

From his Last AIS transmission it appears that Mark has made it in to the Port of Calais.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in