The better part of valor. Anchorage etiquette. - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 62 Old 09-04-2019

Re: The better part of valor. Anchorage etiquette.

Problem is seeing exactly where the anchor is going to fall. Boats 46’ long. What you see looking straight down from the bow isn’t what you see looking straight down from the stern. Wife will position us at the front edge of a sandy spot so we drift down through it. Anchor fall and retrieving is powered. There’s a nut to allow gravity fall but powered is just as fast. We’ve done it enough that she can get the anchor down in a very small patch. She’s good at it. This is good as Rocnas have troubles going through grass. Have a conduit through the watertight bulkhead so could bring controls aft but it’s just not worth it as by the time it would take for her to tell me to drop, then me to process the command and do it we’d be over the back edge of sand.
Even when alone I run up to the bow to drop. Before coming into the anchorage will go into neutral and set everything up. That way just need to push the button when I get to dropping position. Being up there and having the clear Caribbean waters has saved me from dropping in grass, on dead coral or rock ledge. On one occasion from a sunken skiff. If I was usually dropping in mud I would move the controls back to the helm.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 Old 09-04-2019

Dock

When I am in a more populated place, I've begun using a brightly-colored hippie-hop that is nominally right on top of my anchor with tether ~ depth. This gives others a) fair warning where my hook is; b) a little easier for others to estimate my scope and (hopefully) visualize my swing circle.
This all presumes the newcomer has enough knowledge to synthesize the cues at all- which does not help in the OP's situation. It's definitely saved me from a couple of pointed conversations, however- often the wife or child points out the ball to the husband, who then reconsiders the original plan. Kind of amusing to see the pointing, the mouths moving, the "damn, she's right" look, then the helm turning.
post #23 of 62 Old 09-04-2019

Dock

I had the OPs situation a few years ago and just yelled to the idiot "do you have Insurance?" He said Yes. So I yelled back "OK they will pay for the damage you do to my boat". And I went below.

He moved.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #24 of 62 Old 09-04-2019

I once talked a biggy 3 decker yacht into moving.
Never used my slingshot...and my name is not David...
eherlihy likes this.
post #25 of 62 Old 09-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnavy View Post
When I am in a more populated place, I've begun using a brightly-colored hippie-hop that is nominally right on top of my anchor with tether ~ depth. This gives others a) fair warning where my hook is; b) a little easier for others to estimate my scope and (hopefully) visualize my swing circle.
This all presumes the newcomer has enough knowledge to synthesize the cues at all- which does not help in the OP's situation. It's definitely saved me from a couple of pointed conversations, however- often the wife or child points out the ball to the husband, who then reconsiders the original plan. Kind of amusing to see the pointing, the mouths moving, the "damn, she's right" look, then the helm turning.
Anchor floats are sometimes needed in locations where there is a risk of the anchor becoming fouled. In deserted anchorages they will not inconvenience anyone, but using an anchor float in a crowded anchorage is something you should try to avoid doing, as you are unnecessarily restricting other boats from locations where they could safely swing without any danger to either vessel.

Formally noelex77, but I cannot access that account.
post #26 of 62 Old 09-05-2019

I'm being to feel like Andy Rooney on 60 minutes with the "ever wonder why" routine. But tell me, has this happened to you, it's definitely happened to me.

Ever wonder why, you can be the only boat in an anchorage big enough for the entire 7th fleet, all is quiet, you have hung the grill on the rail, you've started to drink your sundowner, and all is right. Perfection. Peace. Tranquility.

A boat appears on the horizon. It heads straight for you. It stops a few feet from you, and anchors so close that they could flip the burgers on your grill for you while still standing on their own boat. Then they turn on the wrap music.

Why is that?
post #27 of 62 Old 09-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
I'm being to feel like Andy Rooney on 60 minutes with the "ever wonder why" routine. But tell me, has this happened to you, it's definitely happened to me.

Ever wonder why, you can be the only boat in an anchorage big enough for the entire 7th fleet, all is quiet, you have hung the grill on the rail, you've started to drink your sundowner, and all is right. Perfection. Peace. Tranquility.

A boat appears on the horizon. It heads straight for you. It stops a few feet from you, and anchors so close that they could flip the burgers on your grill for you while still standing on their own boat. Then they turn on the wrap music.

Why is that?
Never happened to me in 34 years... But I do see boats tend to anchor in groups.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #28 of 62 Old 09-05-2019
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
Blast Lawrence Welk back at 'em!
capecodda likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #29 of 62 Old 09-05-2019

You know, even Led Zeppelin would have been ok with me.
chef2sail likes this.
post #30 of 62 Old 09-05-2019

Capa... example... we sailed over to Coldprings Harbor.... it's a large bay with a club on the East shore... several huge houses with docks... no boats.... and one yacht club mooring about 200 feet off the West shore. Rather quiet and very beautiful... with only the occasional open stink pot or a jet ski.

We anchored 200 feet off the West shore not wanting to be smack in the middle... actually only 15 feet and fine for anchoring. Wouldn't expect anyone to anchor there... but sort of a bit of a hazard to navigation and more subject to wakes when and if they come.

I like being closer to the shore... feels a bit more "intimate". Wind strength and direction were not an issue. No one anchored near us. A few did anchor near the mooring about 500' to our south. Still felt we were quite alone.... but.... anyone entering from the North would think... over there on the West shore is where everyone anchors... let's go there. West shore would be in the lee of the prevailing winds when they prevail ;-). I can't imagine some one dropping their hook close to us.... but I suppose it's possible. Most sailors understand a bit about anchoring. But there are jerks who don't.
Avoid jerks at all cost.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in