5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 Old 09-03-2019
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Question about sailing from Bath ME to Boston

... and 120 miles @ 10 knots = 12 hours
@ 5 knots = 24 hours
16 hours at 7.5 knots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eherlihy; 09-03-2019 at 05:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
mwochna (09-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 Old 09-03-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
From Bath, Maine, one would have to travel about 12 miles down the Kennebeck River to reach open ocean. At the mouth of the Kennebeck you would pass the Sugarloaf Islands and Pond Island. You would then navigate around the Seguin Ledges; either to the north west between Pond Island Shoal, or to the south east and pass Seguin Island on your starboard. Once past Seguin Island a heading of 225M for 77 miles will bring you just south of Cape Ann (Rockport, MA). You would then adjust your heading to 240M for 18 miles and you would be entering Boston's South (old) Channel, also known as Broad Sound.

The difficulty in making this passage is that the prevailing winds are from the south west, and you would be heading south west (into the wind). With a north westerly wind it would be a great trip.

While navigating the South Channel, you would have to be careful of the Devil's Back and Aldrich Ledge. You could then sight Long Island and head straight for it bringing you into President Roads. You would pass between Deer Island and both Lovell Island and Nix's Mate (which has an interesting story). The total trip into Boston's inner harbor is about 120 miles.
eherlihy - Thanks for that info. I can really use it! So, if the Samuel was sailing into a prevailing southwesterly wind, could they make it in 16 hours? If not, do you occasionally have northeasterly winds in that area? Could you get them in early October? Would the voyage be a rough one for any passengers?
post #13 of 34 Old 09-03-2019
Learning the HARD way...

... and you can read about Nix's Mate here.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

mwochna (09-03-2019)

post #14 of 34 Old 09-03-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
... and you can read about Nix's Mate here.
That's cool! I can use that too. I had a reference to girls in a school on Beacon Hill spotting pirates hanging from a scaffold through a telescope. Now I know where they were hanging.
post #15 of 34 Old 09-03-2019
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwochna View Post
eherlihy - Thanks for that info. I can really use it! So, if the Samuel was sailing into a prevailing southwesterly wind, could they make it in 16 hours? If not, do you occasionally have northeasterly winds in that area? Could you get them in early October? Would the voyage be a rough one for any passengers?
The wind varies with... the wind.

IF sailing into a southern or southwesterly the voyage would probably be a wet slog, in bumpy seas on a port tack with the boat heeling to starboard.

If sailing on a westerly or northwesterly the voyage could be quite pleasant (wind coming over the land), or not, in early October. The boat would be on a starboard tack, making it the privileged vessel ("right-of-way") and heeled over to port (BTW- this is why the galley and heads on many newer boats is on the port side). There would not be much room for big ocean swell to blow up.

A northeasterly wind would make the ride quite unpleasant (perhaps you have heard of a Nor'easter?) with big swell cold air and a following sea, which would make steering difficult. Passengers would likely be feeding the fish.

mwochna (09-03-2019)
post #16 of 34 Old 09-03-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
The wind varies with... the wind.

IF sailing into a southern or southwesterly the voyage would probably be a wet slog, in bumpy seas on a port tack with the boat heeling to starboard.

If sailing on a westerly or northwesterly the voyage could be quite pleasant (wind coming over the land), or not, in early October. The boat would be on a starboard tack, making it the privileged vessel ("right-of-way") and heeled over to port (BTW- this is why the galley and heads on many newer boats is on the port side). There would not be much room for big ocean swell to blow up.

A northeasterly wind would make the ride quite unpleasant (perhaps you have heard of a Nor'easter?) with big swell cold air and a following sea, which would make steering difficult. Passengers would likely be feeding the fish.
And the quickest voyage would be with the northeasterly, and the slowest with the southwesterly, right? Looks like my passengers may be feeding the fishes!
post #17 of 34 Old 09-03-2019

I just loaded up Windy, and Thursday morning the winds between Maine and Mass are predicted to be 15-20 kts from the NW, a nice, pleasant (and fast) broad reach with smooth seas. Friday afternoon is like 8-15 from due East. Saturday night is a nor'easter from Dorian with winds in the 40s.

So, I wouldn't put too much stock in "prevailing winds" outside tradewind areas.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremiahblatz3 For This Useful Post:
mwochna (09-03-2019)
post #18 of 34 Old 09-03-2019
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
And the quickest voyage would be with the northeasterly, and the slowest with the southwesterly, right? Looks like my passengers may be feeding the fishes!
Actually, the slowest would be a north easterly, as the boat would be on a broad reach or a run.

Overall the speed of the vessel would be wind speed dependent, but both the southern and the westerly wind would be a close reach, and a north-westerly would be a beam reach. Both of these points of sail are fast for a Bahamian rig. A south easterly would require that the vessel beat into the wind (repeatedly tack) which would make progress toward the destination (what we call VMG) very slow.

mwochna (09-03-2019)
post #19 of 34 Old 09-03-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Actually, the slowest would be a north easterly, as the boat would be on a broad reach or a run.

Overall the speed of the vessel would be wind speed dependent, but both the southern and the westerly wind would be a close reach, and a north-westerly would be a beam reach. Both of these points of sail are fast for a Bahamian rig. A south easterly would require that the vessel beat into the wind (repeatedly tack) which would make progress toward the destination (what we call VMG) very slow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahblatz3 View Post
I just loaded up Windy, and Thursday morning the winds between Maine and Mass are predicted to be 15-20 kts from the NW, a nice, pleasant (and fast) broad reach with smooth seas. Friday afternoon is like 8-15 from due East. Saturday night is a nor'easter from Dorian with winds in the 40s.

So, I wouldn't put too much stock in "prevailing winds" outside tradewind areas.
Broad reach? Beam reach? Close reach? Okay, guys. Looks like I'm going to have to do some studying. But I think you've given me everything (and then some) that I need to write this chapter.

Thanks a lot!
post #20 of 34 Old 09-03-2019
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Broad reach? Beam reach? Close reach? Okay, guys. Looks like I'm going to have to do some studying. But I think you've given me everything (and then some) that I need to write this chapter.

Thanks a lot!

I WANT one of these T shirts! https://latsattsstore.com/products/points-of-sail
cherylchecheryl likes this.

mwochna (09-03-2019)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in