Mainsail Bolt Rope or Slugs at Boom - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 09-05-2019

Re: Mainsail Bolt Rope or Slugs at Boom

Slugs allow you to run the reefing ties around the sail only, not around the boom. If those ties are around the boom and too tight, you can rip the sail. Slugs also allow you to tie the clew reefing line around the boom rather than cutting holes in the sail or adding pad eyes to secure the bitter end of the clew reefing line. My current main is a bolt rope type with cringles in the sail for the clew reefing lines. Not a great way to set this up.
scubadoo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 09-05-2019

it must have slots for the slugs in the mack pack to keep it from sliding off the boom in the middle. the stack packs that are used on a loose foot will have luff tape or slugs sewn on the bottom that slides into the sail slot on the boom. had that on an old boat, we used sail slugs in the slot and a piece of PVC pipe on top of the pack and tied the sail slug to the pipe through the slots so it would stay centered on the boom. we even made sail slugs by tying a big big knot in the small line and sliding it in the sail slot and tie to the pipe .You have an outhaul car then the clew is already set up.
scubadoo likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #13 of 15 Old 09-06-2019
Above 5 knots

Dock

Sorry my bad you did say foot, but I couldn't figure out how that equated to use in a stack pack. Loose foot is the way to go. If your sail has a shelf foot in it though, it kind of leaves a lot of material laying around for not reason doing nothing. Might want to consider that as well. Perhaps sailmaker can recut?

As for the foot with slugs? I've not seen that except clew and tack. Or completely inside the boom.

When someone says boltrope I always think luff, my bad.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA

post #14 of 15 Old 09-06-2019 Thread Starter
Freedom Chip Counter

Thank you for all of the replies! Dropped the mainsail, sail cover and genoa off this morning. After a long talk with the loft manager at North Sails, he suggested just as you did - loose foot and add slugs to the bottom of the stack pack sail cover. They're going to cut the boltrope off the foot and redo the clew.

Sounds like it will be easier to reef now also due to less friction where the reef lines passed through slots in the foot of the sail.

Hoping to get a few more miles out of these sails before fitting out new ones! ....I was seriously drooling over the new materials, laminates and cutting / shape styles they had on display.
SailingUphill and PhilCarlson like this.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
There's heavy duty outhaul car already in the boom, would be fun to try the loose foot, but the mack pack (sail cover) relies partially on the foot of the sail for support (image below). I think it'd sag off the boom unless we left quite a bit of tension on the outhaul.

https://c320.org/mediagallery/popup....2200674&sort=0
It's hard to tell from the pic how your stack pack relies on the foot for support, but I am sure it is not a big problem.

My stack pack has slugs that secure it to the boom independent of the mainsail.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in