Mainsail Bolt Rope or Slugs at Boom - SailNet Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-05-2019 Thread Starter
Freedom Chip Counter

Mainsail Bolt Rope or Slugs at Boom

My mainsail currently slides onto the boom via bolt rope, a good arrangement if you're not using a "Mack Pack" style sail cover. The "Mack Pack" style cover sits on top of the boom and has 2" webbing the slides between the boom and the foot of the sail.

The PO had cut slots into in the foot of my mainsail for the 2" webbing, but did not stitch them...bad, bad, bad.

So the question now is, do I just stitch the slots, button hole style, or do I cut out the bolt rope and install slugs. How many out there have slugs at the foot of their mainsail? Are there any drawbacks to using slugs at the foot of the mainsail?

Thanks!
Dave

Tartan 31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-05-2019
Freedom isn't free

Dock
Re: Mainsail Bolt Rope or Slugs at Boom

I think I need a picture to understand.
Its not typical to use a boltrope main and a stack pack. If you use a boltrope (unless its a smaller boat, say under 25 feet), you typically do so for performance reasons, so its usually a racing sail. A stack pack for ease of cruising, and it implies sail slugs, so that the sail can fall and stack. Again there are reasons on either side to do one versus the other, but generally.

Again unless I am misunderstanding.

My sail is boltrope, but it comes completely out of the mast after every sail and I roll the mainsail to the boom and use a horse blanket and ties to hold it in place. Raising the sail I use a prefeeder directly below the slot works good for getting the sail up quickly and easily. Put the head into the slot, attach halyard, and hoist from the cockpit. I cannot imagine trying to get it to work with a stack pack.

So I'd say go with slugs, and make your life easier, unless you are planning on racing.
jblumhorst and scubadoo like this.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #3 of 15 Old 09-05-2019 Thread Starter
Freedom Chip Counter

Thanks, definitely agree that slugs would be the right thing to use with the stack pack...just wondering if anyone can think of a disadvantage (performance, strength, longevity) to using them as apposed to the bolt rope on the foot of the sail.

Tartan 31

post #4 of 15 Old 09-05-2019

Dock

I've been back and forth with my favorite sailmaker over the question of bolt rope or slugs for my next main, and read with great interest a few discussions here. My impression is that slugs are the way to go. Sail performance is pretty much the same, bolt rope is harder to remove, slugs afford access to the boom that is usefull in a number of scenarios, and don't trap rainwater.

Maybe some racers can comment on the finer points of performance.
scubadoo likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-05-2019

Most mains today are loose footed.
paulk, olson34, fallard and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-05-2019 Thread Starter
Freedom Chip Counter

Thank you for the info! A little more comfortable switching to slugs now. Taking the mainsail in tomorrow morning for some repairs / refreshing... and slugs. Stripped the sails in prep for Dorian, thinking since they're off the boat it'd be a good time to get some work done on them! The tough part is missing 2-3 weeks of Summer sailing! ....oddly, the best time to be on the Atlantic in our area (sans hurricanes of course).
PhilCarlson likes this.

Tartan 31
post #7 of 15 Old 09-05-2019

Having used slugs and shackles on the luff of the main, I have occasionally experienced the slugs and shackles breaking. Typically one shackle would give out about two thirds the way up the luff and then adjacent ones would pop like a zipper opening. In 25Kn of breeze, it's a mess to clean up and your day of racing is over.

Not withstanding this, I continued to use slugs and shackles. I replaced the u-bolt style shackles that my sailmaker had provided with Aquabatten nylon shackles with a built in anti-jamming feature. These worked worked much better; eliminating broken slugs and dramatically decreasing the frequency of broken shackles. Aquabatten makes screw in shackles are supposed to be stronger but the snap-in style met my needs.

Periodically hose down your mast and the slugs and use a dry lubricant( e.g., McLube).
scubadoo likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
My mainsail currently slides onto the boom via bolt rope, a good arrangement if you're not using a "Mack Pack" style sail cover. The "Mack Pack" style cover sits on top of the boom and has 2" webbing the slides between the boom and the foot of the sail.

The PO had cut slots into in the foot of my mainsail for the 2" webbing, but did not stitch them...bad, bad, bad.

So the question now is, do I just stitch the slots, button hole style, or do I cut out the bolt rope and install slugs. How many out there have slugs at the foot of their mainsail? Are there any drawbacks to using slugs at the foot of the mainsail?

Thanks!

Dave
It seems a lot of people think you are talking about the luff, not the foot....

The simplest solution is to go loose-footed on the main. You don't need a series of slugs along the foot, you just need a good strong slug for the clew. The rest of the foot does not need to be attached to the boom. You will find that configuration makes outhaul adjustments much easier and more effective than captive foot.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
paulk, Jeff_H, BarryL and 5 others like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #9 of 15 Old 09-05-2019

just leave the foot unattached and use a slug or a velcro clew strap on the clew only. the stack pack will keep the foot from flapping. at the end of the season have the sailmaker make the sail into a loose footed sail no reason to fight the bolt rope or slugs.
chef2sail and scubadoo like this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #10 of 15 Old 09-05-2019 Thread Starter
Freedom Chip Counter

There's heavy duty outhaul car already in the boom, would be fun to try the loose foot, but the mack pack (sail cover) relies partially on the foot of the sail for support (image below). I think it'd sag off the boom unless we left quite a bit of tension on the outhaul.

https://c320.org/mediagallery/popup....2200674&sort=0

Tartan 31

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in