Suggestions for Cape Cod and Islands - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Minnewaska

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter

Suggestions for Cape Cod and Islands

I will be sailing out of Westport MA on a Cal 39 Monday morning. Original plan was to leave yesterday but weather wasnít cooperating. So the,trip will be from Mon to Saturday. Looks like a big high is settling into the area so may not be much wind. Depending on the time we leave may spend the first night at Cuttyhunk, and head over to the Vinyard from there. I am guessing there wonít be any crowds. Iíve sailed to Vineyard Haven and sailed out of Edgartown Harbor once on a delivery. Any suggestions of other places to go? Depending on time I think I will go to Nantucket, but I have sailed there several times before, usually coming in from sea rather than up the sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 1 Day Ago

Re: Suggestions for Cape Cod and Islands

I love this time of year. Most everything remains open and busy enough to not feel like you missed the party, but virtually no crowds.

Some other nearby spots, in addtion to those you mentioned.

Menemsha on MVY. Anchor off a very long beach, plenty of room. Only do so, if wind is staying south of the E-W line. The Bite is a fry shack within walking distance of the dinghy dock and is terrific. It's outside seating and bring your own. The three commercial fishing operations are in a competitive showdown to see who's stuff in the dockside store is better. We often buy chowder and fish to BBQ on the boat. Best sunset on MVY if the evening sky is clear.

Inner Hadley Harbor, inside and west of Woods Hole, is a near must layover, especially mid-week, when you'd probably have it to yourself. Take your dinghy exploring all over.

Tarpoulin Cove in Vineyard sound is a nice layover, if wind is out of the north. Most everything else is exposed to the north, otherwise, I think this cove is overrated.

If you're interested in heading West, Block Island is easily approachable after Labor Day. However, I believe the launch has discontinued already.

Of course, Narragansett Bay (even the Sakonnet River) has many options I can fill in, if you like.
Slayer and SanderO like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 4 Old 6 Hours Ago
ASA and PSIA Instructor

See this thread

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Certified...in several regards...

post #4 of 4 Old 48 Minutes Ago

The Islands are a real pleasure after the summer people leave... few people ashore and hardly any boats... it's really magical and the only time I would consider cruising there.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in