Sailing as a senior - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 200Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 173 Old 09-16-2019

Re: Sailing as a senior

Here’s our thinking on this S. I envisioned troubles I’ve had or heard about on “other peoples boats”.
In boom- angle is wrong. Was correct at start of passage but with loading and time wandered. Luff of sail migrates aft as it’s rolled up. Puts strain on feeder and track. It breaks. No main.
Halyard chafes and breaks. ?how? Don’t know but suspect jumped out of block at masthead. Sail dumps and ends up in the water to leeward. Hard and scary to get it back on board with 4 working at it.
In mast- jams in groove. Try to work it out but mandrill bent. No joy. Take knife to it as wind continues to build.
Dutchman- have old school cringles sew in/blocks on sail and cleats on boom. Can fall back to old school slab reefing anytime it’s necessary. Can do that by myself although it requires me to go to the foot of the mast.otherwise everything is handled in the cockpit. As long as wind isn’t behind the mast can let out main and reef without turning on the engine in any strength wind. Total belt and suspenders system. Very unlikely both Dutchman reefing and old school slab will fail but if it does we can jury rig as a mom and pop team with whats already on the boat not requiring strength.
KISS. Have power on the winch we use for the main halyard. Only potential screw up is if bad crew leave their finger on the button so even pretty safe with crew. Both in boom and in mast require a fine touch. No problem for the owner but I know several owners who don’t let crew reef and need to wake up every time main is let out or taken in. We are a mom and pop. Need something we can maintain, use in any circumstance, and ideally let others use for passage.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 09-16-2019 at 09:24 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to outbound For This Useful Post:
johnewaters (10-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 173 Old 09-16-2019

One other issue for traditional sails on larger boats is whether the boom can be reached at all. From the cockpit, our boom must be 8ft overhead. In order to do anything on the aft half of the boom, it needs to be eased off to the side, so you can stand on the coaming. The traveler is just about good enough, but if you use the mainsheet, it becomes a free swinging boom, which is not good in windy or wavy conditions.

Another boat I'm interested in has a traditional mainsail, but the boom is even harder to access than the one I have now. Could even be a hassle to install the sailcover back at the slip. The mast furling system surely makes this all a ton easier, in the context of senior sailing.
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #33 of 173 Old 09-16-2019

Dock

Long Post so feel free to ignore.

As I get older I don't need rippling chest muscles or shoulder muscles but I do need rippling back, wrist and calf muscles.
So in port I go to the gym 3 or 4 times per week to do 3 types of training: Weights, HIIT Cardio, and, Old Mans Exercises.

My diet: Low Carb, no processed food, no or little sugar (except beer sugar ).
Vitamin supplements: D3, K2, (taken at the same time); Zinc and Selenium (taken at the same time); Magnesium, Potassium, CoQ10

Most of my stuff is backed up by research but the Old Man Exercises have been devised by myself and freak out the Gym staff.

As I get older I am concerned with:
Heart: CAC Score - coronary artery calcium - which shows how much actual calcium has built up in my arteries (Very, very little).
Cancer: Cancer cells eat sugar to grow so I keep the sugar down.
Back pain: So I have exercises just for that.
Walking so slowly the Grim Reaper can catch me.
Falls: One bad fall can be catastrophic.

Problems: Back muscles dont actually exist where I need them! Theres no muscle that covers the lower back, the Lumbar Spine area. You don't believe me? Even Arnold Schwarzenegger NEVER had muscles over his lumbar spine!
Google "Bodybuilders Christmas Tree" and look at the images.
You can see their spines...!

All of the muscles are either side, above and below, but not on or around. Weird, huh?
The gap is called the christmas tree because thats what it looks like.

Philosophy: To use science to get the best benefit from the least effort and least time exercising.

Weights: The normal stuff that the gym junkies do but I try to do heavy weights to failure in 4 to 7 repetitions. Then some days light weights to 30 repetitions till failure then drop the weight and keep going till total failure.

HIIT Cardio: We are told to do a few hours of 'brisk walking' every week. But whats Brisk Walking? From the NSW Institute of Sport the idea is we need only have 15 minutes 3 times per week with the heart rate above 150 beats per minute. The difficulty is its desperatly difficult to get it up that high for that long... so they devised a method to trick the heart so it goes up and stays up with the least effort.
On a cardio bike set quite easy (about 5 or 6) I do a 7 second HARD as I can and then 13 seconds very soft, just my legs going around. Watching the cycles clock I do my hard bit at 20; 40 and; 00. Within about 2 minutes the heart rate is up. If it gets too high I cut from 7 seconds to 5 or 4 or even 3 seconds and increase, correspondingly the relax time. 15 minutes is not too difficult.
On the Treadmill walking I set the Incline to the maximum of 15% and the walking speed very low, 4.5kmph. As the heart rate comes up I keep dropping back the speed, not the incline. After 15 minutes Im down to 3.5 kmph - quite easy. 15 minutes no trouble.

Old Mans Exercises: These I have developed myself and get ridiculed by the 20 year old gym instructors.

Picking up dropped keys is done (until were being watched by a fitness guru) by bending down and picking the damn things up. NO! says the guru, I must squat down, back straight to pick up keys, or lift a small weight! But squatting down back straight I cant see the keys, all I can do is feel between my legs for them.
Tying my shoes is done with a bent back. Try tying your shoes with a straight back. impossible.
On a boat twisting whilst pulling is derigour. We all know its "bad" for us but what else can we do?
Instead of saying I can't do this, I have devised Old Mans Exercises so I get muscles to pick up keys, tie my laces and twist while I winch or haul up the halyard or get a bucket full of seawater up the side of the boat and down the companionway.

Bent Back Lifting.
Using the Back Extension equipment at the gym I'm told to keep my back straight... ok I do a few reps like that. But then I drop down chin on chest and back bent and slowly uncurl to horizontal.

Key Drop: I put a light weight on the floor and bend over with bent back and pick it up. Careful to use light weights!

Shoe tying: Situps with bent back.

Barbell behind the back: A light barbell behind my back and lifting it from butt to as high as I can go.

Wrist strengthen: Barbell to do a bicep curl but a bit lighter, after the first curl I open my hands and let the bar roll to my finger-tips then roll them back up into the next curl. Great for forearms and wrists.

Twisting Theres a new machine there i sit in it and twist my upper body. start with a small wieght and note I cant twist far... but now its getting better.

Old Man Jogging: on the street I do about 3kms in 15 minutes. Lil Old Man steps, Ive only just started and its not going too bad at all. Just short and slow.

Walking faster than the Grim Reaper:
We know from Hollywood that the Grim Reaper walks slowly with his scythe mowing down anyone he can catch. But in real life could this be true?
Yes!
And a few scientists tested men to find out that you must walk above 2 miles per hour/ 3kmph or the Grim Reapers gunna get you https://www.bmj.com/content/343/bmj.d7679
So if Im going for a walk of any type I make sure im doing more than 3kmph! simple.

Falls: With gym, walking faster, a few jogs and old mans exercises I am less likely to fall... and if I do my wrists are stronger to allow me to hit the deck without broken bones or ripping tendons.

Conclusion: I see lots of older folks who are unfit... but very very few 75 year olds who look like they work out. Ive started now with the long term view, investing in my health so I can enjoy my other investments.

Mark
SanderO likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 09-16-2019 at 02:54 PM.

post #34 of 173 Old 09-16-2019

Mark good post but there are a whole bunch of back muscles including the paraspinals, multifidis, as well as muscles that insert on the transverse or dorsal spinus processes with origins elsewhere. Vertebrae look like pentagons with protrusions off the sides and back. Those 3 protrusions are covered in muscles.
There are outliers with walking speed. The obvious being people with orthopedic injuries or congenital troubles. Personally have walking troubles so row to get cardio.
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #35 of 173 Old 09-16-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Personally have walking troubles so row to get cardio.
Sometimes I break up the 15 minutes with 3 x 6 minutes: Row, Bike, Treadmill and/or elliptical thing, ski thing, or stair walker... depending what the gym has.
Rowing is good because its one of the only upper body cardio machines.
SanderO likes this.

Sea Life

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
post #36 of 173 Old 09-16-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Hereís our thinking on this S. I envisioned troubles Iíve had or heard about on ďother peoples boatsĒ.
In boom- angle is wrong. Was correct at start of passage but with loading and time wandered. Luff of sail migrates aft as itís rolled up. Puts strain on feeder and track. It breaks. No main.
Halyard chafes and breaks. ?how? Donít know but suspect jumped out of block at masthead. Sail dumps and ends up in the water to leeward. Hard and scary to get it back on board with 4 working at it.
In mast- jams in groove. Try to work it out but mandrill bent. No joy. Take knife to it as wind continues to build.
Dutchman- have old school cringles sew in/blocks on sail and cleats on boom. Can fall back to old school slab reefing anytime itís necessary. Can do that by myself although it requires me to go to the foot of the mast.otherwise everything is handled in the cockpit. As long as wind isnít behind the mast can let out main and reef without turning on the engine in any strength wind. Total belt and suspenders system. Very unlikely both Dutchman reefing and old school slab will fail but if it does we can jury rig as a mom and pop team with whats already on the boat not requiring strength.
KISS. Have power on the winch we use for the main halyard. Only potential screw up is if bad crew leave their finger on the button so even pretty safe with crew. Both in boom and in mast require a fine touch. No problem for the owner but I know several owners who donít let crew reef and need to wake up every time main is let out or taken in. We are a mom and pop. Need something we can maintain, use in any circumstance, and ideally let others use for passage.
And or course the ez Jacks / lazy jack system most have..There must be a reason it appeals to the majority of non- furling main users.

inexpensive, never breaks like monofilament, no holes in the sails serving as a weakening point, foolproof, easy to deploy, durable, can be deployed from the cockpit, no special modifications of the sail cover, it also trains the sail to flake.
SanderO and Minnesail like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #37 of 173 Old 09-16-2019

Quote:
...The obvious being people with orthopedic injuries or congenital troubles. Personally have walking troubles so row to get cardio.
For me, bike and kayak. (two knee surgeries, one severe.) But I don't look at these as mandatory exercise, I look at these as fun! Yesterday was a boat work day, and since I could not take the boat out (epoxy setting on a hull) I paddled around for an hour. Good fun.
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #38 of 173 Old 09-16-2019

Chef have had several versions of lazy jacks. Have caught battens on them. If you donít bring them forward and loop around reefing hooks they can be a PIA. The cover attached to the boom was awkward on some the versions Iíve had. Unlike a Dutchman they donít control the sail. Nor do they cause the sail to fold. The Dutchman prevents the main from flopping around during an evolution which is nice. In fact the main will shimmy down even when not directly into the wind over time. I replaced the 400lb fishing line this year because it was 5 years. Took me ~ an hour. Havenít heard of people breaking that line. You ease off on the topping lift while sailing so thereís no chafe on the sail. You do get dirt lines on the sail if thereís air pollution in your mooring spot. For us it cleared once down in the tropics. I mostly single even with the bride on the boat. Big thing for me was I can release the halyard then go on to other things. The main will come down and be controlled with no further input. Once moored/anchored/ in the slip and can then sort things out if necessary.
If we downsize to below 40í would think about having the shafer system. Like the idea of the track pivoting aft of the mast. A sistership has it but tells me the sail pulls out of the track when in a blow and reefing. He thinks their great up to 40í but forces become to great after that. Another sistership has the leisure furl. He hates it. Works fine but after a few days of hard sailing needs to be retuned. He doesnít understand it as heís marked where everything is and he says nothing moved but the angle becomes incorrect.
I use my vang a lot. So in boom would take getting use to.
SanderO likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #39 of 173 Old 09-16-2019

When I say row I mean row. Have a sliding seat cf Whitehall rowboat. Go out crack of dawn. Glorious to see the sun rising, the birds getting active the fish breaking water. Mostly uses your legs so you get total body exercise without a heel strike so knees and hips do OK.
Take a break and wet a line. Get your HR up again going home.
Just got a Oru haven. Have done some tidal rivers already. Wife likes the sights and I can catch schoolies. Still need to time it with the tides. Still working the necessary muscle and technique to be able to ignore the tides entirely. But compared to the rowboat not nearly as intense a workout.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #40 of 173 Old 09-16-2019

Dock

Quote:
Go out crack of dawn. Glorious to see the sun rising, the birds getting active the fish breaking water.
I do the same! Just getting back to the boat from the Nightclubs... Dancing exercise.
SanderO, chef2sail and Minnesail like this.

Sea Life

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in