God I HATE Volvo... - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 Old 09-19-2019

Re: God I HATE Volvo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
People are grateful because they get brand new engines for free. Pretty sweet deal.
Volvo didn't "cut them a deal" - they had to replace them for free.
https://www.volvopenta.com/marinelei...formation.html

Yup! My boat goes to the local Volvo marine shop next week for this. "Penta D2xx recall campaign". Hell, if you have any Volvo, might as well check the serial against their site...
The 2011 engine with <500 hrs on my boat that's being replaced runs perfectly, which put this boat at the top of my short list to begin with (despite hearing horror stories about Volvo parts costs), and a free do-over with a brand new engine sealed the deal.
Dealer said the "new" engine is utterly identical to the original (D2-40 with saildrive). Volvo's deal covers the cost of the re-power (yard fees and all), but any work on other components (saildrive, controls, instruments, electrical) are not covered.
How often do you get to start at 0 engine hours, for free? I'm looking forward to it, even if parts will be a hassle down the line. God bless the EPA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 Old 09-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
......it p!sses me off that Volvo can't keep a part in stock. It's not like it's something unusual or even goes to a rare engine.

And I agree with MAINESAIL. NO Volvo engines in the next boat.
Volvo deserves some of its rep, but I think the rants are grossly overstated.

To begin with, when did you buy this boat? That engine has not been made in 29 years! You'll find it difficult to source some parts for any make/model which is that far out of date, unless the part carried over into future years or was a much more ordinary wear item.

If you owned Volvo, would you put a tach on the shelf and wait a few decades for someone to douse theirs with seawater to come looking for one?

I have a Volvo as well. It definitely requires more TLC than it's comparable Yanmar. The parts can be more expensive, but not as much as ranted. I use MarinePartsExpress.com and order everything online. JD, the owner, is excellent at sorting out oddities too.

My Volvo has never let me down, but it does require more maintenance.
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 41 Old 09-20-2019

If you expect marine engine service to work like your local car garage on a 3-10 years old car with tens of 000’s of similar cars around you may want to review your course...
like anything in sailing, it is a matter of proper maintenance over time by the owner - never trust the shop only.... In my cruising boat, I have a Volvo Penta TMD31B (100HP), 28 years old that still work like new! Not all the parts are available new at Volvo in the US but there are tons available online from European vendors - that’s how I get most of my genuine parts - at a lower cost than in the US.
Your service shop had to know that as well and get you the tach on time.
Good luck.

post #14 of 41 Old 09-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
My Volvo has never let me down, but it does require more maintenance.
Curious as to what additional maintenance yours requires.

We've owned 4 Volvo's - 2 MD20xx series, and 2 D2-xx series - and none of them have required more than normal routine maintenance expected from any engine, none have given us any problems, and they are all easy to work on. The one Yanmar we own is a different story - the raw water pump is mounted backwards making it completely inaccessible without removing the entire pump completely, some of the hoses are routed in ways that chafe and are also inaccessible, the exhaust elbow design is a nightmare waiting to happen, and there are other ways it is illogical and compares unfavorably to Volvo. It also has only required routine maintenance, albeit more difficult to perform, and has not given any real problems. We owned 2 Kubota-based engines, and these are the most rugged, easiest to maintain, logical engines I've dealt with.

As for parts, Volvo is no more expensive than Yanmar. Certain parts cost more, but others go the other way.

For example, the following prices are $Volvo/$Yanmar for comparing the MD2030 to the 3YM30 (these seemed to be equivalent engines used in similar boats).

Oil filter: $12/$7
Fuel filter: $16/$5
Thermostat: $17/$30
Impeller: $20/$17
Head gasket: $96/$78
Mixing elbow: $248/$186
Fresh H2O pump: $286/$318
Raw H2O pump: $258/$238
Alternator: $611/$833
Starter: $516/$367
Injector: $239 ($137 exchanged)/$193 (no exchange price listed)
Injector pump: $864/$2,300
Heat exchanger: $517/$1,400

If you ignore the oil and fuel filters (which are readily available for the Volvo engine from other manufacturers in most autoparts stores for far less) then the pricing of parts seems to be very close between the two manufacturers until you need something like a heat exchanger or injector pump. Then the Yanmar pricing is eye-popping.

Mark
BarryL, CVAT and GLausin like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #15 of 41 Old 09-20-2019
al brazzi

My 32 YO 2002 runs like new, it is RWC so there's a simplicity I really like, most expensive parts so far were the 4) Motor mounts, one was just broken, $750 as I recall, need to do all at that age, probably the originals! Hell, they will recommend 5 yr replacement cycles, who does that? That said I would never do any major work to a 30 YO motor, I would just re-power, probably with Beta. Personally and with no experience I don't think I want a sail drive so that might put a Boat out of consideration for me. I'm seeing so many recent re-powered Boats on market lately selling for less than the price of the Motor, that's a good place to start when shopping.
post #16 of 41 Old 09-20-2019

I had a 1979 MD7a on my old boat that served me well for the 16 years I owned the boat. I did have the engine rebuilt shortly after I got the boat, and yes, the bearings and gasket kits were a bit pricey but not prohibitively so. I rebuilt it because it was smokey and it became clear that the previous owner did not maintain it well. The fuel system was fouled by dirty biodiesel.

After the initial overhaul I had to do very little in the way of repairs. The mixing elbow rotted out, which cost around cdn$200 and was in stick locally. The thermostat failed a couple of times, which WAS overpriced at $125, and the oil pressure switch started leaking, and I was able to replace it with a $25 automotive part.
Certainly there were some aspects of the design that made me shake my head, such as the ridiculous spring clip retaining system for the copper water pipes, or the water pump on the back of the engine, but at the end of the day it all worked well.

I don't think you can condemn volvo for not having ready stock of parts for a 35 year old engine. I would be more inclined to fault your "volvo guru" mechanic for not being able to source a tach somewhere else, or reuse the old tach, at least temporarily. Some techs just want to order a part based on the manufacturer part number, when the reality is, a few phone calls and a bit of research would likely produce a cross reference part number that may be readily available. That tach could be sitting on a shelf somewhere locally, with a different part number on the box. It happens all the time in my trade.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
CVAT likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #17 of 41 Old 10-04-2019

The biggest problem with Volvo are their very high prices for spare parts.
They really are astronomical.
Check out what a typical heat exchanger costs, and they tend to corrode and fail.
Make sure you are sitting down first.
post #18 of 41 Old 10-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockter View Post
Check out what a typical heat exchanger costs, and they tend to corrode and fail.
I can understand the frustration, but my impression is that Yanmar parts are generally not any cheaper. I had Yanmars with former boats.
As for Volvo, I’m ordering parts online through quite few European sources, especially as my good old TMD31B has been discontinued years ago.
The good thing is that with most parts of Volvo, these are identical to their trucks models and OEM parts are generally available at ‘non marine’ prices.
SanderO likes this.
post #19 of 41 Old 10-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockter View Post
See post #14, and be happy you aren't buying a Yanmar heat exchanger.

Of course, that post compares only two engine models, and things may be different for different models. However, I'd bet a donut that prices overall between Volvo and Yanmar are similar.

We have a Yanmar engine on our Kohler generator. Surprisingly, parts through Kohler are cheaper than the exact parts through Yanmar.

Mark
CVAT likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #20 of 41 Old 10-05-2019

Is Yanmar your only comparison?
Try comparing with Kubota (Beta Marine) or Lister-Petter or Perkins.
What do you think?
It is best not to defend the sky-high spare parts prices from Volvo by comparing them with another outfit that are similar.
My point was one of contrast, not similarity.

Last edited by Rockter; 10-05-2019 at 02:09 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in