SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   God I HATE Volvo... (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/331366-god-i-hate-volvo.html)

sailordave 09-19-2019 02:51 PM

God I HATE Volvo...

I have a Volvo Penta 2003 diesel.
Cannot get a Tachometer for the new engine panel anywhere. Backordered, none to be found anywhere.
Because of the yard doing work, my travel, etc. I didn't launch the boat until the end of July. Noticed the engine wasn't charging the batteries so I checked the alternator. No output, but I knew the alternator was good when I put the boat up. So I checked the engine panel and found some wiring frayed and corroded. (That happens when it takes direct blasts of seawater racing offshore!) So I ordered a replacement panel and cable. Came in without the tach which was on backorder. Coming up on 7 weeks now and I still can't use my boat. Dealer said NOT to use the old tach as it could cause problems.
I will NEVER have a Volvo engine in a boat again. Not the first time I've had trouble getting parts. End of rant.

eherlihy 09-19-2019 03:02 PM

Re: God I HATE Volvo...

You aren't the only one...

The sailing school that I had worked for posted on FB in July how they were GRATEFUL that Volvo was replacing the TWO engines in the 2010 catamaran that they owned. I assume that Volvo cut them some kind of deal, but still; the boat was out of commission for MONTHS, I am sure that there were many phonecalls and much negotiation involved, and two new diesels needed?

Maine Sail posted, long ago, that if he were to look at a boat with a Volvo, it would be scratched from his list of candidates unless the owner reduced the price to cover a re-power. See https://www.sailnet.com/forums/diese...sus-volvo.html

overbored 09-19-2019 03:07 PM

don't see why you can't use the boat. I have used many boats that had a broken tach and it did not stop us from going sailing. The alternator not working could be why the tach was not working many diesels use the alternator signal to run the tach

SanderO 09-19-2019 04:09 PM

My MD17D tach is reading about 2/3 of what it should be. Engine is 34 yrs old. Tach seems impossible to find. I have yet to confirm that the sender leads are OK.... If they are it's the gauge. I will look for a replacement... but it will come off an old boat as part is no longer made.

I can motor with it... I just guestimate the RPM.... not something that needs to be precise.

capta 09-19-2019 06:17 PM

First off, I'm guessing Volvo does not manufacture the tach. There are half a dozen companies that make them and like the Onan genset engines made by Kubota, a little research may lead you to a source for parts beyond the labelled engine manufacturer.
I second using the engine w/o a functioning tach. We did that for about 5 years, just using a bad alternator as a tension wheel for the belts. But we have solar, a windgen and a genset to power multiple battery chargers underway, if needed.
However, how is it that you hold Volvo responsible for "That happens when it takes direct blasts of seawater racing offshore!"? Perhaps the whole problem could have been avoided with a little care beforehand.

sailordave 09-19-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overbored (Post 2051626948)
don't see why you can't use the boat. I have used many boats that had a broken tach and it did not stop us from going sailing. The alternator not working could be why the tach was not working many diesels use the alternator signal to run the tach

The existing panel has several wires that are frayed and somewhat corroded. It's 30 years old. Just a matter of time until more goes wrong.
I was told that the tach has to be installed for the panel to work. I don't know, but that's what the Volvo guru said. And I wasn't about to use the old panel (which did start the engine) KNOWING that I couldn't charge the batteries, as well as wondering if or WHEN something else was going to go wrong and then I wouldn't even be able to start the engine. Just not a good idea to go out in a boat with a known problem. Regardless, it p!sses me off that Volvo can't keep a part in stock. It's not like it's something unusual or even goes to a rare engine.

And I agree with MAINESAIL. NO Volvo engines in the next boat.

SanderO 09-19-2019 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What is the engine? The instrument panel which comes with my 1985 MD17D has 2 gray wires for the tach... The transducers is mounted on the engine block. The other wires for the tach are for lighting.

I have altered the volvo / VDO panel

I don't use the old AMP and oil pressure idiot lights... added an separate OP gauge. Installed a switch to disconnect solar panels

colemj 09-19-2019 07:46 PM

Volvo doesn't make the tach for your boat - it is made by VDO. There is nothing on your panel that prevents you from using your engine without the tach. You could even buy a different tach from VDO. I've done this several times, and it only takes a small amount of effort to calibrate it. It is cheaper also.

Mark

SanderO 09-19-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colemj (Post 2051626982)
Volvo doesn't make the tach for your boat - it is made by VDO. There is nothing on your panel that prevents you from using your engine without the tach. You could even buy a different tach from VDO. I've done this several times, and it only takes a small amount of effort to calibrate it. It is cheaper also.

Mark

Volvo doesn't make any of the gauges or the key switch... As Mark said.... VDO...

colemj 09-19-2019 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eherlihy (Post 2051626946)
You aren't the only one...

The sailing school that I had worked for posted on FB in July how they were GRATEFUL that Volvo was replacing the TWO engines in the 2010 catamaran that they owned. I assume that Volvo cut them some kind of deal, but still; the boat was out of commission for MONTHS, I am sure that there were many phonecalls and much negotiation involved, and two new diesels needed?

Maine Sail posted, long ago, that if he were to look at a boat with a Volvo, it would be scratched from his list of candidates unless the owner reduced the price to cover a re-power. See https://www.sailnet.com/forums/diese...sus-volvo.html

The replacement engines are because of a recall that isn't due to any operational issues at all. Volvo sold engines into the US market during a short period that did not meet the emission requirements, or did not do the required testing. They were forced to stop selling the engines, and had to recall the ones they did sell and replace them. So they retuned the engines and came back on the market with them.

People are grateful because they get brand new engines for free. Pretty sweet deal.

Volvo didn't "cut them a deal" - they had to replace them for free. There weren't any phone calls or negotiations - they only had to contact a Volvo service center and schedule the work. Since these need to be installed by certified independent Volvo mechanics/dealers, any backlog is due to them, and not Volvo. I know several people who had the exchange done within a day or two, as well as several people who waited months - the only difference was which business they chose to do the work. While waiting for a service slot might take some time, there is no reason the boat would be out of commission once the new engines arrived and the boat was being worked on. It is a direct swap like for like, and doable in a single day.

It is funny that people who find Perkins engines acceptable go on at lengths attacking the exact same engine, down to the nuts and bolts, when it is painted green and a Volvo sticker is placed over the Perkins sticker.

Granted, the OP's 200X series is not a Perkins, and is one of the worse engines made. However, all of Volvo's small engines in the past 26 years are Perkins that are painted green.

Mark