Year 3 of costs of cruising compared to year 2 - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-19-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Year 3 of costs of cruising compared to year 2

With 3 years of full-time cruising competed I figured I would compare year 3 costs to year 2. In year 2 costs dropped $940 compared to year 1, but in year 3 the costs increased $5,547 compared to year 2. So how does this happen?

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries – increased $721 and was 24.4% of costs. But this category has been pretty much the same the past 3 years within about $800
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance – increased $9k from last year and was 29.2% of costs last year. This is what happens when you do some rigging work, haul and bottom paint, replace a dinghy, get a Honda generator, get a hookah system to service your crappy new bottom paint, and keep trying to fix your POS Italian marvel generator.
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane)- $200 less last year. Hardy anything to worry about at only 2.7% of costs
Dining and drinking out - $1,500 less than last year and was 14%. We think we have gotten more into going to more of the “dive bar” type of places.
Entertainment - $ $2,600 more and was 8.7%. A big piece was flying to Cancun for a week. That plus going to more museums added up, but that’s OK with us as what is point if you don’t go see and do stuff.
Communication, storage, shipping – pretty much unchanged and was 2.7%
Fees – spent more with my credit card so got more back and was -1% of costs
Marina - $300 more, which is pretty much just the same in big picture and was 8.6% of costs
Electric - $220 less last year and was 0.2% of costs
Medical – was $4,477 less than last year. Big savings if you don’t spend anything out of pocket for medical of dental in year. Was only 0.4% of costs because we are on a subsidized ACA plan.
Transportation and travel - $258 more this year and was 4.6% of costs. This amount is basically the cost of the 2 cheap bikes we got last month.
Gifts - $659 less and was 2.6%. Guess we are getting more Scrooge like each year
Water – only $16, not worth talking about
Registration - $250 less because only had to do the new dinghy, 0.1%
Insurance - $13 more for the combined costs of main policy and Boat US Towing, 2.8%

Your costs will vary, this is just how I spent my money.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Money spent cruising.xls (56.5 KB, 26 views)
eherlihy likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Don L; 09-21-2019 at 10:47 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don L For This Useful Post:
Minnesail (09-19-2019), WinterRiver (09-20-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-19-2019

Dock
Re: Year 3 of costs of cruising compared to year 2

Interesting that some of the thibfs people worry about before they leave are, in reality, inconsequential... Fuel 2.7% is a good example.

Good points on buying quality before starting to push back the renew date... Rigging and dinghy for example.

And always something one realises us good to have... Like the hookah.

The unders and overs are always interesting.

Year 4 should be cheap! Lolol

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 17 Old 09-21-2019

S look back at Don’s prior posts. He’s been very transparent about his boat, kids, sailing program and deserves kudos for that.
eherlihy and MarkofSeaLife like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #4 of 17 Old 09-21-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Without a reference... size of boat, age, location and the line item numbers it's hard to apply these "percentages" to actual costs.
Guess you aren't really interested then because if you open the attached spreadsheet the actual costs are right in there. It even has where the boat went each month. And if you really wanted details I've posted month by month here for 36 months the details of each month.

post #5 of 17 Old 09-21-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
S look back at Don’s prior posts. He’s been very transparent about his boat, kids, sailing program and deserves kudos for that.
I've posted about my kids??? I doubt it as my fingers can't take that much pounding.

But thanks

post #6 of 17 Old 09-21-2019

Don, My bad I didn't see the link... I apologize for making the post
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #7 of 17 Old 09-21-2019 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Had the wrong attachment, Have uploaded the correct one that has all 36 months and the year 2-3 comparison

post #8 of 17 Old 09-21-2019
Learning the HARD way...

I don't mean to drag this off topic. However, I just this week paid my marina bill for this winter/next year. The total - with my "employee discount" was $3887.36 for my 1987, 35-foot boat which is kept on a mooring. I will no longer qualify for the "employee discount" (which I think is $200) because I am no longer teaching for the school that operates out of the marina. I had THREE moorings drag this past summer into my boat - one of the moorings had my neighbor's Catalina 36 attached. Each time I had to bring this to the marina manager's attention. There was minimal damage to my lifelines and a stanchion, which I had to repair, as a result of the Catalina dragging into me.

Contrast this with Don's $5121.75 (year 1), 3941.22 (year 2), and 4202.72 (year 3) as a transient with his 2001 43-foot Hunter 410. I presume that Don gets a slip when he uses a marina? While I realize that Don does not spend all of his time in a marina (that is, he anchors out some of the time), I get really peeved with my marina for always charging as much as they can, and definitely more than they are worth.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 09-21-2019 at 11:41 AM.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-21-2019

Marinas are spendy. I store in water at a dockominium... it's $700 from 11/1 - 4/29. Summer I install a mooring (rent tackle included) for about $700. Dink has no spot (which would be a couple of hundred if I was a resident. I am not so I pay $1,400 for launch and bunch of tips.

Moving to a new summer location.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #10 of 17 Old 09-21-2019

Dock

I removed a BS post.

Please read, then think, before posting

Merci!

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in