SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Exiting Strategies for Boat Ownership

12K views 137 replies 24 participants last post by  SanderO 
#1 ·
At 72 and after a somewhat botched spine surgery I am facing increasing mobility difficulties which impact on my ability to do maintenance mostly, but sailing somewhat. This means I will do less maintenance... letting things go that I normally would do right away... things like wax, varnish replacing running rigging and so forth. Sure if I find someone I can pay for the help, but that can be expensive... and I still have to supervise.

I could simply list the boat for sale. I know most buyers will want to renew some things at least... once they take ownership... new electronics is one. My electronics work fine but are not state of the art N2K stuff. As much as I would like to do that upgrade now... it hardly seems to make sense.

A new coat of varnish might give more eye appeal... lubed winches... new running rigging, new anchor chain + anchor and so forth... But I doubt I would make this money back in the sale. Don 't know.

I would like to actually find the future owner sooner than later... and over a few years transfer ownership. In those few years we would share the use and all the projects... New owner would be the ultimate decider of what those projects are and whether I pay full or partially. I could of course school them on the boat which I have owned since new in 85... and done all the modifications and installs. No one could possibly understand this boat as I do. And I need to pass as much as that knowledge to the new owner. I haven't thought through the economics of the transaction yet.

I see this long transition one of mutual benefit. I can continue to sail and have help with maintenance... and new owner gets to have my help and knowledge so he is completely confident in operating and all systems.

But I think this would be almost impossible to find. I don't think any brokers would take the listing.

A actual partnership is complex too... as compatibility is an issue. Plus the notion that I am letting go of sole ownership... But I think consensus on decisions should not be difficult.

++++

Any thoughts and suggestions about how I exit ownership aside from the old model of listing with a broker?

See less See more
#2 ·
That would be a great plan....if you could find someone to do it.

I think you may find it hard to find someone who wants to share decision making/ opinions on making the boat
theirs. They may not appreciate. All you have put into it. Especially if they are from the throw away generation.

I know when it’s time for me to exit ( and we have discussed this) , I will need to make a clean break. I’ve owned Haleakula nearly as long as you, so the memories and part of the family aspect of our boats will not be shared by a new owner who wants to make her his/ her own boat. Not sure I could watch someone else undo what I have done. Plus I would want to give space to them making their own memories/ fixes.

For my own head I think a complete break is what I would do. Sell her to hopefully the right person...yes....control it through gradual ownership would not work for me. There are certainly significant chapters in my life I have had already. Both family, career, and personally. These chapters have last pages. That doesn’t mean they are dead over, just that I wanted to start a new chapter. Plus I am in it with my partner for life, she has an equal decision in this.

There are many other things I want to do, such as world traveling, RV ing in the US and Canada, so I will just have to close that chapter of my life and get my sailing fix by going out with friends I have made , or chartering. ( I meant to tell you when we met this summer you are always welcome to spend time in Maryland with us on Haleakula.) our lives are full and I hope I continue to keep learn and active by pursuing other interests I have. Our sailing has taken up a majority of our time and my wife has been a partner and loved it, and a good sport to boot. She has embraced it, makes all our canvas for years , and enjoys our time together on Haleakula..

I owe it to her to also do the same things while we are still relatively young at 65 by traveling. We never considered subjecting ourselves to permanent life on a boat ( no value judgement here) , as it was to narrow for us and we have many other accomplishable interests. I still have a large bucket list ( Antarctica, Peru, Greenland, and the National Parks in the US and Canada which I would like. To check off some of them in a new chapter of exploration for me, would keep me young and challenged , while I am able to physically do it.

I too had major back surgery a year ago. Mine was successful and it really made me think about things. I am scheduled for a total knee replacement in a month. Retirement is here for both of us. While I will greatly miss owning my own boat and sailing when I want , I have other interests which can replace it.

Reactions: mbianka
#3 ·
First off, say it isn’t so SanderO. I value and enjoy your comments here on SN. And somehow it saddens me to think of you without your good old boat.

I have no real wisdom to offer, except to say I think it is an interesting idea. It feels like something that could only work with a very good friend though. It seems like a lot to ask of an unknown buyer, and indeed of you, to have this kind of prolonged transfer.

But for the right person, it could be reciprocally great.

BTW, what is it with cruisers and bad backs. I broke mine when I was younger. Have never had surgery, but it gives me constant pain — something that is getting worse with age.

#4 ·
I hope you can find this transitional new owner.

Of course, the problem is that no two human beings see everything the same. This new owner should appreciate the information, but there is no way they will accept everything as firmly as the old owner insists. That's just life.

The PO of my boat was and still is an incredible resource. I changed a ton of what he did. Indeed I found mistakes he made that I never mentioned. If he was still around, this would no doubt have a been a source of conflict.

#5 ·
I am well aware of all the problems with this sort of hand off. I think one can think of a boat... like a house or an apartment... you move out and the new owner moves in to blank walls and floors. When you show it they will see all your interiors and "decorating" making it personal and attractive. I will of course remove the art and so forth on board...

I have been on sisterships and they do not feel like home to me. Things like running rigging, rope clutches, windlass and even sails will change the boat... as will upholstery and "decoration". My dodger is on fine shape.. but a new owner could pick a different color or make the a new higher frame. That's fine. Once Shiva goes to someone new... I would hope they would make it theirs.

I think once one commits to exit. the ego has to let go and help the new owner to find the joy in the boat... I am not the only one who can find (and create) this. New owner will have the benefit of my choices and hard work. I have planned a new B&G electronics package. I can give them the design.

I sail with AP 99% of the time. I hand steer on and off a dock... and when conditions call for it... difficult for the AP or just plain fun! So an instrument pod at the helm makes no sense for me. A friend with a sister ship has the pod and works the boat from behind the helm where his AP controls were mounted by the previous owner. Another sailor may prefer to hand steer or maybe they want to do racing. I think my steering approach may be a rarity. I also don't have/need a bimino because I am not out there under the sun. I have a design for a bimini but never executed.

I do love the 35 and she's a great boat and I learned so much about sailing on that boat. But there comes a time when sailing demands more than you can give... no matter how small those demands are.

I brought Shiva to a dock in CT for the balance of summer. And she'll remain there for winter storage. I hand steered the boat into the slip... but could not jump off and tie the lines... something I like to do lickity split. The deck is about 30" or so above the dock. I feel my knees would collapse or hurt like crazy if I attempted to jump from deck to dock. Tying up at a fuel dock is not a problem as the dock person will handle my lines. And if you are coming in to a dock with other sailors around... you can call for a little help and most will do it gladly. But you can't count on them being there. I can board from the stern with my ladder... and use the pushpit for hand holds/help. I have come to realize that I need decent leg strength and knees to get on and off my boat. My damaged nerve may recover. It may not. I am going on 18 months with this deficit. In fact the hardest part of sailing for me has become getting from my parked car to the boat or launch! Dinghy access is certainly easier for me than a launch or a self tie at a dock.

I have the winter to see if there is more progress in the recovery of my nerve. Knees don't recover... they get worse and then perhaps replaced. YUCK.

I don't think I can pull off the long slower transition... so if next season is as challenging as this one.. the boat will be on the market next fall.

I purchased 6 - 12'x2"x3" planks of teak several years ago to be made into a new rub rail. It seems like a crazy project to do now. I may sell the teak separately or sell it to the next owner.

#6 · (Edited)
Today I turned 73. Since I began my boating at around 12, that's 61 years of mostly "messing about in boats." professionally and privately. I haven't had a home ashore since 1969, just spent time visiting friends and family in their dirt dwellings. So, the thought of being boatless is a bit intimidating. What would I do?
Fortunately, my wife is considerably younger than I and she is adamant that we remain aboard as long as I can and is willing [/B]and able[/B] to do most of the maintenance, including repairing or replacing pretty much anything from masthead to keel, inside or out, engineering or marlinespike. Not only all that, but she's become a highly praised charter cook!
We have discussed sliding across the aisle to a smaller power boat where I can laze in my $1000.00 helm chair on the climate controlled bridge with a cup of Joe on the dash and my '60s rock playing, as we venture to places I wouldn't visit in a cockpit boat (Canadian Maritimes, Hudson's Bay, Northern passage to AK, etc). Or possibly trading down to a traditional cat or gaff day sailor and living in a small home somewhere warm enough to get a reasonable amount of use from it.
I feel for you and hope you can find a way to have your cake and eat it too, so to speak.

#9 ·
Happy Birthday! Go for as more as you can!

Cap your situation is different of course... as your life is aboard and you have a sailing partner who can do much of what you were doing if I understand your post. Unfortunately my wifey is great company on board... a fine cook but the only sailing duties she will do is watch and help flake the mainsail at the mast. She has no interest in anything mechanical except watering and potting plants! However her on board is always a great help it seems.

I am ok in moving more of my focus to attending performances and so on... of which there are many in NYC. If invited as a guest to sail... I would accept of course.

I am honored to have learned about sailing and to have cared for Shiva for 35 years and sailed her many tens of thousands of miles. I am also gratified that she was my only boat and she took care of me all those years at sea.

#7 · (Edited)
I would make the actual title transfer / financial stuff as clean as possible, easier insurance etc.

If they need to pay over time, you finance hold a lien whatever, but no partnership legally.

The knowledge transfer in exchange for your continued sharing-time on the boat can be informal, if either party want to scale it back does not affect the legal / financial arrangements.

Maybe have a side agreement that you get first dibs on X days per season even if it's without them, as long as the boat's not fully paid off, call that your interest.

#10 ·
I would like to actually find the future owner sooner than later... and over a few years transfer ownership. In those few years we would share the use and all the projects... New owner would be the ultimate decider of what those projects are and whether I pay full or partially. I could of course school them on the boat which I have owned since new in 85... and done all the modifications and installs. No one could possibly understand this boat as I do. And I need to pass as much as that knowledge to the new owner. I haven't thought through the economics of the transaction yet.
I looked up an 85 Contest. It shows a rudder on a skeg, and it looks like there was a wing keel and fin keel version. SailboatData says that they were originally powered by a Volvo Penta?

#12 ·
There were a bunch of versions of the hull.... it began as a 35' LOA with a plumb transom and then they changed the transom and the LOA increased a foot.

They offered a masthead and a fractional rig. I have the fractional.

They offered 3 different keels... wing, shoal and deep fin. I have a deep fin 6'-3" draft.

The offered with or without teak decks. I do not have teak.

The engine is a Volvo MD17D 36 hp 3 cylinder w/ fresh water cooling factory added.

#14 ·
There may be an owner to fit a transitional ownership thing.
However, I could not think of anything worse than the hell of having the previous owner having any interest whatsoever in my new purchase.
I pay the money and you give me the keys. All the keys.

As for getting a broker to list it to find a needle in a haystack... Well...

So good luck with it but I wouldn't hold my breath.

#16 ·
There may be an owner to fit a transitional ownership thing.
However, I could not think of anything worse than the hell of having the previous owner having any interest whatsoever in my new purchase.
I pay the money and you give me the keys. All the keys.

As for getting a broker to list it to find a needle in a haystack... Well...

So good luck with it but I wouldn't hold my breath.
I think for some buyers buying in over time... with seller financing can make sense. Seller gets his number and buyer can avoid interest.

If I got the dollar amount I want I could walk away and new owner would be left to figure it out and likely call me frequently for help. What would you do? Charge for your time as a consultant? Or give this help away for free?

++++

A friend recently purchased a sister ship to go use for live aboard and sailing south and eventually to the West Coast. He was up against the task of fitting out the boat for that purpose. His decisions were in almost all systems/cases very different from mine. Obviously he wants to sail differently. I like some of his ideas and not others... but all were well executed and work for him and his needs. It shows how the same hull can be "upgraded" differently for similar missions and be successful because different sailors have different ideas. One example... He's a young guy and went with a manual horizontal windlass... and all chain. I was a bit older than him when I installed a reversing electric vertical with a cockpit remote w/ up and down capability. I am very satisfied with how my windlass and anchoring worked out.

The new owner experienced or not... buys the decisions and thinking and sailing approach of the previous owner. An experienced buy likely has very specific ideas of what they want and may be faced with alterations or getting used to the previous owner's decisions.

A fair amount of boats... such as charter boats are fitted for local sailing and designed to comfort it seems. This may or may not suit the type of sailing of someone who purchases a former charter boat...

#15 ·
My wife and I purchased Pinniped this past winter from owners who had decided they were getting older, becoming maybe less capable than they had been, and they didn’t want her to sit. They had listed Pinniped on Craigslist, hoping I think to find someone reasonably close by. When I found the listing and talked to them, they invited us out for a sail. It was the second time the boat had been out all season.

Pinniped was especially dear to the couple who owned her. They didn’t buy her. They built her from plans in their back yard, over the course of a decade, and then sailed her on the Great Lakes for the better part of 30 years. They designed and fabricated (or had metal shops fabricate from their drawings) every part, fitting, and furnishing on board. They bought the best hardware, rigging, mast, etc. Pinniped was 150% their baby.

We talked over the course of several weeks. We made an offer, negotiated, and exchanged dollars for papers. I think we all understood that this was less of a purchase, and more of a change of caretakers. They spent a lot of time with us going over her, and they continue to answer questions as they come up.

It has been a really positive relationship. I know it had to hurt to step off of her after they helped to deliver her to our nearby marina after launch. They know literally every inch of Pinniped, and they continue to be a vault of knowledge when I have run into problems or wanted advice on how to do something.

I know this doesn’t really help much, but maybe it can show that there are some people out there who get it, and will understand your connection and your desire to help them get going on the right foot. I know that when it is time for us to move on, we will be looking for a new caretaker in much the same way.

Jonathan

#17 ·
For what it's worth, selling 4 previous boats, most new owners stayed in touch with me for years. I'd get a call with a question, like what does this switch do again? Many of the new owners asked me to go out with them a couple of times for a sail. I enjoyed this. They became friends. Some are still in touch.

But in each case, I sold them the boat. They took full ownership. At least one owner decided to replace dodger, sail cover, etc with a canvas of a hideous color. I refrained from comment. It's their boat now.

I've been lucky to never sell a boat to someone I didn't actually like. I know others who have, so no guarantees, but assuming you don't need an immediate out for some reason, you can be selective with whom you negotiate, and with whom you insist on full ask. I have to admit melting at least once when a young enthusiastic couple clearly couldn't come to my number, I probably gave them too much of a break, but the experience was worth it.

Sailing is an experience. A sail boat is so much more than a thing. The whole thing needs to be right, and fun, including purchase and sale, the lasting experience, the camaraderie of a common set of experiences.

So, IMHO, sell it fully. Transfer ownership. But try to find someone who's the right buyer, and help them out. Sailing self selects people that you are going to like for the most part. Don't deal with someone you don't. They will probably exit the hobby as soon as they find out how it isn't like the movie they saw, it rains sometimes, it gets nautical out there, and stuff breaks. By not negotiating with people like this you are doing them a favor. Hand off your boat to a new owner who will change somethings, but love sailing as much as you do.

Good luck SanderO, I really enjoy your posts and hope you hang in here whatever happen.

#18 ·
For what it's worth, selling 4 previous boats, most new owners stayed in touch with me for years. I'd get a call with a question, like what does this switch do again? Many of the new owners asked me to go out with them a couple of times for a sail. I enjoyed this. They became friends. Some are still in touch.

But in each case, I sold them the boat. They took full ownership. At least one owner decided to replace dodger, sail cover, etc with a canvas of a hideous color. I refrained from comment. It's their boat now.

I've been lucky to never sell a boat to someone I didn't actually like. I know others who have, so no guarantees, but assuming you don't need an immediate out for some reason, you can be selective with whom you negotiate, and with whom you insist on full ask. I have to admit melting at least once when a young enthusiastic couple clearly couldn't come to my number, I probably gave them too much of a break, but the experience was worth it.

Sailing is an experience. A sail boat is so much more than a thing. The whole thing needs to be right, and fun, including purchase and sale, the lasting experience, the camaraderie of a common set of experiences.

So, IMHO, sell it fully. Transfer ownership. But try to find someone who's the right buyer, and help them out. Sailing self selects people that you are going to like for the most part. Don't deal with someone you don't. They will probably exit the hobby as soon as they find out how it isn't like the movie they saw, it rains sometimes, it gets nautical out there, and stuff breaks. By not negotiating with people like this you are doing them a favor. Hand off your boat to a new owner who will change somethings, but love sailing as much as you do.

Good luck SanderO, I really enjoy your posts and hope you hang in here whatever happen.
Great post. Boats mean different things to different people. I expect to continue commenting on SN for the foreseeable future. No worries there.

Sure if some comes to me with my asking price and wants to sail the boat to MD... so be it. I wouldn't turn the sale down.

I also think that there is a market in LIS and a slow hand off may make sense for a long time owner and a new one. I think this is especially true in the case (mine) where the boat has been own fore more than a decade or two and been used for passages, lived aboard in the tropics and cruised locally in NE. It's not a common boat either... especially in the USA. And it's not even well known.

#21 ·
Sander: I just sold a boat this summer, one I had owned since 1999. In that time, I had worked on just about every square inch of the boat, making upgrades and changes. My circumstances are different than yours, as I was selling because I had bought a new (bigger) boat; so, no withdrawal pains for me.

Nevertheless, it was still difficult to let go. Based on the first few potential buyers who looked at the boat, I thought I would be helping the new owner set up and launch the boat, and to maybe even help them learn to sail. However, I wound up selling to a guy who was an "expert" in this particular model of my boat. According to him, he had owned several Odays in the past, including two previous boats of this model. So he had no need or desire for my input. I offered to show him my changes and modifications, and he politely declined. The boat was launched and docked two slips away from my new boat for a few weeks, and I noticed a few things that he had changed. It was decidedly strange. And a little sad. I think if it weren't for my new boat (which I am very excited about), I would have been in quite a funk. If I were serving as a mentor for a new owner, I am convinced I would be much happier.

#22 ·
Sander: I just sold a boat this summer, one I had owned since 1999. In that time, I had worked on just about every square inch of the boat, making upgrades and changes. My circumstances are different than yours, as I was selling because I had bought a new (bigger) boat; so, no withdrawal pains for me.

Nevertheless, it was still difficult to let go. Based on the first few potential buyers who looked at the boat, I thought I would be helping the new owner set up and launch the boat, and to maybe even help them learn to sail. However, I wound up selling to a guy who was an "expert" in this particular model of my boat. According to him, he had owned several Odays in the past, including two previous boats of this model. So he had no need or desire for my input. I offered to show him my changes and modifications, and he politely declined. The boat was launched and docked two slips away from my new boat for a few weeks, and I noticed a few things that he had changed. It was decidedly strange. And a little sad. I think if it weren't for my new boat (which I am very excited about), I would have been in quite a funk. If I were serving as a mentor for a new owner, I am convinced I would be much happier.
Thanks for the story and the circumstances are very different... with the only common thing is you relate selling a boat you owned and loved for almost 20 years.

Contest36s is not a common boat and those who want them seem to be a different sort from owners of Hunters, Pearson, Catalinas and so on. For one is it is a European built boat. Sure there are now several euro makers selling in US... even building here. I think Bene is one. Halberg Rassey, Swan, Dufor, Wauquiez and several others are in a different niche. Contest is kinda in that niche. Build quality is usually very high. Contest is built to Lloyd's specs.

People who wander by the few times Shiva is tied on a dock usually have no idea what the boat is who made and so on. But almost always make very positive comments. Those who come below are universally impressed by the workmanship, layout and volume including headroom. But people who don't know the boat are not looking for one. So Contest36s is a niche market.

She was sold as a racer cruiser. I don't race and didn't set the boat up for racing. She was used for local and distance cruising and has been equipped for that. But she is a fast sailer and I make 150-175 miles a day offshore and have done LIS to Bermuda in 4 1/2 a number of times... always less than 5 days.

She's super comfortable below and in the cockpit... where 3 adults can lie fully down if they want to! The boat is dry... probably because of the high free board. I have seen no boat in this size range with a well designed or comfortable cockpit. Very very easy to single hand as well.

A new sailor can't or may not see all the pluses that Zaal did with this brilliant design. I am not sure what sort of sailor would want this boat... but clearly they would be one who understands what the design is about and what sort of sailing it targets successfully.

I'll see what shows up.

#23 ·
The Contest is a very different boat from the most popular boat of that size and vintage - the Catalina 36. It will take someone that wants a heavier cruiser over a lighter racer/cruiser. You may have to wait awhile for the right person to show up.

#24 · (Edited)
Jim, Indeed the two boats are very different. But it's not just some numbers.

Why do you say heavier? Are you concerned about 900#s????

CONTEST36s Deep fin

Ballast cast iron 6,475#
Displacement 15,985#
Displacement/Length RATIO 285
Screening FACTOR 183
Sail Area/Displacement RATIO 21.8

CATALINA 36

All fin keel models displace 15,000#
ballast 6,000#

#25 ·
I’ve gone halvies on most of my boats. Did this while working as with a call schedule to do otherwise didn’t make sense.
Usage was clearly outlined. I got alternating weeks as did the other owner. We also picked two weeks each uninterrupted so a yearly cruise was possible. Lastly we often invited each other to go sailing together but this was at our discretion. Expense were split in half. Maintenance as well. This worked great. With one partner we were equally skilled. With the other I was more skilled but he made up of it with doing more unskilled labor. In both cases we started as friends and left as friends. In both cases the partnership lasted through several boats.
A boat is a tool to allow an activity. At your stage of the game would think about a partnership. You get to sail. The other party benefits from your experience and skills. Either of you have the opportunity to leave. Give the remaining partner right of first refusal. If not exercised just sell it.

#26 ·
Jeff,

I hope you can find someone who meets your requirements and allows you to continue to sail on Shiva. To you the love of her is obvious and she has been a major part of your life for a long time.

I can only think of myself facing this same proposition in the next 10 years or sooner if my knee operation does not improve things. I in fact have had these discussions this year with my wife who is as invested emotionally as much as I am. It will be exceeding difficult for us to sell her to someone else.

I think you have to look carefully at yourself ( referring to me, but maybe you too) . We have some similarities, confirmed by us meeting this summer. I for one could never do what you are planning. I would want to, but I don’t think I could give up the control. When ever I have sold a house, I didn’t stay.

Someone buying a 36 foot boat will probably be experiencing a move up. I know I wanted to make Haleakula mine many years ago when I bought her. I would not have wanted to discuss or seek even tacit approval from anyone else let alone its previous owner. Many more people will be looking to outright buy a boat. Partnerships I would bet or even limited ones are probably very rarely found.

I could only wonder what you would do after the deal is struck if/ when you found the new owner didn’t leave things in the pristine condition like you do. I would wonder how you would feel personally to see in person Shiva become someone else’s. Emotionally I would have a hard time with this. It might even make it more difficult for me to deal with my own decline which caused me to consider selling my boat. It would make it more difficult for me to move on to something else with my time and life.

I think you are very special if you can get through these hurdles. I am trying to look at this as the owner like you. I am a long term owner like you. I am very attached emotionally to Haleakula. While she isn’t a Swedish produced boat, I feel she is as well made. She has a combination of old world teak and mahogany, a comfortable sailing platform which performs well in the area in which I sail in., we have definitely made her ours over the last 20 years. All of her electronics and improvements were personally installed. I had the choice to when I bought Haleakula years ago, to buy a boat identical of your Shiva, and chose the boat I did, because of many factors.

As a person who has bought 3 and sold 2 keelboats, I am wondering what advantage would it be to take a deal buying a 30+ year old boat , where the boat clearly wasn’t mine. How would you market that? And then there is the legalese part of it. Once money changes hands....who is the owner.

In concept and intellectually I understand what and why you want to do, but how do you actually do that.

Reactions: oldfurr
#31 ·
#32 ·
Dave.. thanks... never saw this and have not even looked into other 36s boats. Looks like it was repowered with a Yanmar.

When and if I do produce a series of photos... I believe Shiva will look at lot better than the one your referenced. But that is a matter of opinion.

Attachments

#33 ·
The Contest 36 is a very attractive vessel.
If the exterior of your boat is comparable to the interior in appearance, you should have no problem finding a new caretaker for your beloved Shiva. Insofar as your very complicated co-owner proposal...you already know deep inside that a clean break would be best. Regardless of what you decide, fair winds to you, Mate.

#34 ·
Thanks Baja!

I am coming to a period where I am sailing less and having the same maintenance demands with a decreased physical condition (old age ;-)). A slow transition seems to fit better than a clean break... But I am open to anything and haven't actually produced the listing. I am still doing some needed projects. Of course the boat is never done.... if it is sailed and considering things come up regularly which demand attention. I have designed an N2K electronics upgrade but am not going to do because my instruments, though old work perfectly and are accurate. This is some new owners like to do... select their instruments.

Thanks for the comment!

We'll see what happens over the next 8 months....

#35 · (Edited)
SanderO -
Your post hits home and truly resonates with my own situation, although I am putting a 10-15 year plan in place. I have a small Cape Cod Catboat and sail her on an inland lake in Eugene, Oregon. The boat belonged to my father and together, we picked her up in Wareham, MA when I was 19. He sailed her in Ohio and Florida mostly, and when he turned 80 he moved to Oregon to be closer to me and to live out his final years. He taught me how to sail a gaffer and care for her and since his passing over a decade ago, I have completely immersed myself in this perfect little boat. She is the only gaffer on the lake and is often complemented for her classic lines and beautiful sailing profile. If I had a dime for every time someone hollered, “Nice boat!” as they sailed by, I could pay my moorage.

Needless to say, I love my boat and want to sail her into old age. I’m 61 now and hope to stay healthy and fit enough to live out that dream, which includes finding the right person to pay it forward. I have taken numerous people sailing, but one friend in particular has shown the type of interest and enthusiasm that makes me feel like I want to start the succession planning now. A few days ago I made the offer and I’m happy to say she was honored and thrilled with the prospect.

In the next 10 years or so, my friend and I will continue to sail together whilst I show her all the aspects of sailing, caring for and enjoying this wonderful boat. She will discover the joy of taking her friends and family out for a sail and at some point, buy the boat and take me sailing. For me, this is the absolute BEST case scenario. I feel so fortunate to have a long term plan with a dear friend who loves my boat almost as much as I do and will carry on the legacy my father started all those years ago.

#36 ·
I have sold a few boats Sandero. Nothing like Shiva, but its always hard anyway.

I forsee it being pretty painful the day it happens - and then you will quickly get over that feeling and find yourself with a lot more time and money.

But the day you sell will really suck.

#37 ·
For heavens' sake, it's just a boat. A thing. It does not define you.

When the fun-to-suck ratio is imbalanced, move on. Loosing a close friend or spouse is traumatic. Selling a boat is just a bit of work.

#44 ·
Could pretty easily put a 36 ft boat on a truck and get it across the country....
Good points from both of you.

My situation is a bit unusual:
- The apartment building in which I live will be demolished for new construction in the near future, so I will need to move. I don't have a plan yet, as I put my future on hold when discovered I wanted to go sailing again.
- I'm single and have no family.
- My job is totally portable, and I can live anywhere in the US and keep working.
- I plan to retire in a couple of years. My employer is ok with this.
- I have relocated a few times. Sacramento to San Diego, San Diego to Asheville, NC (5 year stay) and back, San Diego to Cairo, Egypt, for a year and back.
- The ties I once had to San Diego are gone.

So I'm pretty portable.

My plan has been to find a suitable boat, move aboard, and leave for parts elsewhere. I hadn't been looking at the east coast, but SanderO's situation and boat made me want to at least discuss the possibilities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.