N. America vs Europe used boat shopping - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-25-2019 Thread Starter

N. America vs Europe used boat shopping

I live in Sweden and realized buying a boat here in the nordics is a great opportunity, the boats are in the water less than 6 months, are typically only used a maximum of 8 weeks during the summer and many are stored indoors for the winter. I like all these things when looking for a boat especially when comparing to the Medetearianin market where they seem to be "well used" and of course many deals are x charters.

My question is: is it realistic to find a great condition sailboat in a place like San Diego, where I assume many seldom leave the harbor and or were kitted out for cruising but did little. Does the electrical system from N.America matter at all beyond the appliances and plug outlets? Is it advantageous to shop on either continent and return or just keep looking in one's local area?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-25-2019
Master Mariner

Re: N. America vs Europe used boat shopping

One thing you should keep in mind is that boats designed to sail in your neck of the woods are not normally concerned with the sort of ventilation one would want in warmer climates. This can make the best boat in Scandinavia the worst one in a Caribbean anchorage.
As for finding a good boat in anywhere else, I sincerely believe the worst thing for a boat is not using it. It may seem that 8 weeks of use is better than 50, but that is not what I have found to be true. It is all about maintenance.
If you buy a boat in Sweden and intend to sail it in the Med, San Diego or Caribbean, you must consider the time, effort and expenditure of moving it. There are so many factors to consider. Each boat is a separate case and must be approached as such.
Good luck in your search.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 16 Old 09-25-2019

If you are planning to import the boat into EU you must have documentation that confirms they the boat is built according to the RCD https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-adv...directive.aspx

post #4 of 16 Old 09-25-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McKeown View Post
I live in Sweden and realized buying a boat here in the nordics is a great opportunity, the boats are in the water less than 6 months, are typically only used a maximum of 8 weeks during the summer and many are stored indoors for the winter. I like all these things when looking for a boat especially when comparing to the Medetearianin market where they seem to be "well used" and of course many deals are x charters.
Sounds like Nordic boats maybe have a lot in common with great lakes boats, except we don't even get salt water here, so corosion is minimal.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-25-2019

But you’re in a great place to buy some wonderful boats. Sweden Yacht, nautor Swan, X boats etc. you see many of those in the Caribbean and it doesn’t seem to be a problem.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #6 of 16 Old 09-25-2019

I thunk Capta makes some great points as usual. Look for a boat designed for the climate / conditions you intend to use it. I would stay away from boats designed for the Caribe. FL etc.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #7 of 16 Old 09-26-2019

I had a buddy buy a boat in Europe and import it back to the US. He had to refit the electrical system, so he could plug into shore and have everything work. How they did it always seemed like a kludge to me. I can't explain it, because it never made perfect sense and the refit was expensive. He swore he bought the boat right and the delivery and refit made sense. I never believed him.
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-26-2019

Hey,

I don't understand how buying a boat located far away makes any sense.

You spend $20,30,50 grand for a boat, and then another $10-20K to bring it home? Seems like you should be able to find a better boat closer to home.

If you buy a boat in San Diego how are you going to get it to Sweden?

When I was boat shopping I restricted my search to boats within 100nm range. I guess that I am fortunate to be on Long Island. Between boats on Long Island, Connecticut, Rhode Island, etc. there are literally hundreds of boats to buy.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

post #9 of 16 Old 09-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I sincerely believe the worst thing for a boat is not using it. It may seem that 8 weeks of use is better than 50, but that is not what I have found to be true. It is all about maintenance.
That's probably true where the 8 week/year boat and the 50 week/year boat are both in locations with year-round sailing and are sitting in the water year round. The 50-week guy is simply there on the boat that much more in order to see what needs fixing and to do it, and obviously the boat is a more meaningful part of his life than the 8-week guy who spends the majority of the year doing stuff other than using his boat.

But I don't think this concept translates to boats that are used only seasonally in colder climates. Many of these colder-climate guys would love to be on their boats 50 weeks/year guys, but they just can't. So they do the same level of maintenance as the 50-week/year guy down south, but the northern boat is properly winterized and stored for the winter season.

All things being equal between the boats owned by the 50-week/year guy down south, and the wannabe 50-week/year guy up north, I think the lesser used but similarly maintained boat up north is in general going to be in better condition. And the older the boat, the more true this should be.
oldfurr and Gary McKeown like this.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-26-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
That's probably true where the 8 week/year boat and the 50 week/year boat are both in locations with year-round sailing and are sitting in the water year round. The 50-week guy is simply there on the boat that much more in order to see what needs fixing and to do it, and obviously the boat is a more meaningful part of his life than the 8-week guy who spends the majority of the year doing stuff other than using his boat.

But I don't think this concept translates to boats that are used only seasonally in colder climates. Many of these colder-climate guys would love to be on their boats 50 weeks/year guys, but they just can't. So they do the same level of maintenance as the 50-week/year guy down south, but the northern boat is properly winterized and stored for the winter season.

All things being equal between the boats owned by the 50-week/year guy down south, and the wannabe 50-week/year guy up north, I think the lesser used but similarly maintained boat up north is in general going to be in better condition. And the older the boat, the more true this should be.
I just completed my 4,999th survey today and I agree with you.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in