We sunk a boat today! - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 Old 09-30-2019 Thread Starter

Re: We sunk a boat today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Unlike the others I never panicked for your safety, I had a good idea it was going to turn out well for you. It sounds like one of those stories no matter how rough or dangerous it was at the moment it makes a great story over a beer after some time. It sounds like you have recovered from the trauma and it is already a great story, thanks for sharing.

Can you tell us more about the PFD that failed to inflate?

Who makes it?

Has the inflation mechanism been changed out as scheduled?
Yes, there was no trauma at all. I came out of the water laughing about it, and I suspect when all is said and done the only one that doesnt laugh about it is the insurance company.

The inflatable I was wearing is a non-hydrostatic Mustang. Its failure is no doubt is my own fault as it is way overdue for servicing. The indicator is green, meaning it still has pressure, but the auto inflate mechanism obviously failed.

I will be taking all of our inflatables in for servicing. I suspect I may also find a couple of new hydrostatic models under the Christmas tree this year!

I will definitely be more diligent about pfd maintenance from now on!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
jephotog and Minnesail like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 Old 10-01-2019

I found this under the class rules.

"6.8 Flotation shall be ensured through the use of sealed buoyancy chambers, securely installed foam, or secured air bladders, with a minimum volume of 9 cubic feet [255 liters], providing at least 570 pounds [259 kg, 2535 N] of bouyancy."

i550 Class - i550class.org

Last edited by Arcb; 10-01-2019 at 08:21 AM.
post #23 of 44 Old 10-01-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I found this under the class rules.

"6.8 Flotation shall be ensured through the use of sealed buoyancy chambers, securely installed foam, or secured air bladders, with a minimum volume of 9 cubic feet [255 liters], providing at least 570 pounds [259 kg, 2535 N] of bouyancy."

i550 Class - i550class.org
Yeah I cant say that I inspected down below, but I did see built in flotation tanks, and the access hatches that I saw were in place. Either they were not water tight, or they were insufficient. She did go down pretty quickly once we turned her over though. Perhaps it was only free air trapped under the inverted hull that kept her afloat in the first place.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

post #24 of 44 Old 10-01-2019

Clothes & foul weather gear - especially with air trapped in them- can help insulate against cold water. Glad that worked for you!

This article: https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07...i550/index.htm includes a picture of how the boat is supposed to float when capsized, with flotation tanks intact. The possible home-built component - or simply leaving a tank unplugged, or having leaky tanks - makes the quick sinking a bit scarier. Turtling with a 75kg bulb on a 5’ keel is also interesting. Was it not down all the way?

We’ve had a couple of sport-boats (FT 10’s) at our club. After a few seasons the owners seem to have moved on. One goes fishing from a center-console skiff and the other has just purchased a J/120. A 505 provides my adrenaline rush.

Last edited by paulk; 10-01-2019 at 12:23 PM.
post #25 of 44 Old 10-01-2019

A lot here has been taken pretty nonchalantly. It doesn't sound like the crew was up to the task of sailing the boat in the given conditions. The boat owner obviously knows little about his boat...it wasn't set up properly, the flotation was inadequate, the rudder was not secure. My guess is there was probably other deficiencies. The boat went down close to shore but it wasn't always close to shore. At least one PFD was defective. ShockT is making light of this incident as though everything was under control; that's probably how a lot of drowned persons felt.
post #26 of 44 Old 10-01-2019
Senior Moment Member

They're lucky that neither of them had their fly open at the time.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #27 of 44 Old 10-01-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
A lot here has been taken pretty nonchalantly. It doesn't sound like the crew was up to the task of sailing the boat in the given conditions. The boat owner obviously knows little about his boat...it wasn't set up properly, the flotation was inadequate, the rudder was not secure. My guess is there was probably other deficiencies. The boat went down close to shore but it wasn't always close to shore. At least one PFD was defective. ShockT is making light of this incident as though everything was under control; that's probably how a lot of drowned persons felt.
I certainly have plenty of experience sailing similar boats as I owned a turbo'd Hotfoot 20 for years. I have only sailed with the skipper once before on that boat, and that was cut short when the boat started to break. I am not sure how much experience he has sailing the i550, but he has had it for a while, and sails it single handed. As for the rudder, it is a cassette type, but I did not see what mechanism was used to hold the foil in place. Clearly whatever retension system was used didn't do the job!

When the boat went over I was not concerned about it because I have sailed enough dinghies to consider capsizing just part of the sport, although I did not expect it to happen on that boat, I knew exactly what had to be done and we did it. The second surprise was that the boat sunk. That definitely is not supposed to happen!

I am beginning to wonder if the boat was under- ballasted. When we righted the boat I was surprised to see the keel did not have a bulb on it, it had a rectangular bar! Not only is that not very hydrodynamic, but the size of it did not seem very large. Now that I know that the design calls for a 75kg bulb, I have my doubts as to whether it was anywhere near that heavy, particularly if it was iron and not lead. To be fair though, I only saw it for a few seconds! It certainly should have been able to right itself after the gust passed.

I don't think the problem was that we didn't know what we were doing, even though mistakes were made. I think the problem is that the boat itself was built improperly, and was unstable as a result. The problems may not have manifested themselves in the predominantly light to moderate winds we typically get. It took a big gust to show how inherently unstable it really was.

Arcb likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #28 of 44 Old 10-01-2019

I too have gone for a swim in cold (32F once) water with foul weather gear several times. I never got to the point of shivering at all, just unpleasant.

A big factor is whether you were a duck hunter that was mildly hypothermic to start with, or working hard and shedding heat. In both cases I was heated up to the point of sweating. The other part of the conventional wisdom is not that you will be dead, but that you may be unable to do much to help yourself. The dead part will take much longer.

So if you were a poor swimmer and were already cold, you might have been in trouble in 15 minutes. A strong swimmer, working, with foul weather gear buttoned up, much longer.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #29 of 44 Old 10-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post

The second surprise was that the boat sunk. That definitely is not supposed to happen!

I am beginning to wonder if the boat was under- ballasted. When we righted the boat I was surprised to see the keel did not have a bulb on it, it had a rectangular bar! Not only is that not very hydrodynamic, but the size of it did not seem very large. Now that I know that the design calls for a 75kg bulb, I have my doubts as to whether it was anywhere near that heavy, particularly if it was iron and not lead. To be fair though, I only saw it for a few seconds! It certainly should have been able to right itself after the gust passed.
I don't think sailing a sport boat so hard it crashes is unusual. They're fun to push hard

The class rules say the bulb should be minimum 3.5 inch diameter. So, about the same as the fat side of a 2x4. That might look like a bar on an upside down boat? Also, shape is unspecified.

Looks like rudder design is unspecified.

Here is one built by Meade Gougeon as an ultra shoal draft racer. He used a break away rudder design so the rudder wouldn't be damaged during a high speed keel up grounding. Looks like its basically held on by bungee cords.

https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php...50-hot-canary/
post #30 of 44 Old 10-01-2019

I don't question your skills at all ShockT. I am merely pointing out that things can go wrong very fast. Suppose one of you was tangled in an errant sheet when the boat sank.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in