We sunk a boat today! - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 44 Old 10-05-2019 Thread Starter

Re: We sunk a boat today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
Are there any intentions for a recovery?
I'm not sure, I havent spoken to the skipper yet. I'm not sure if the boat that picked us up got a gps position. I have a rough idea where it is, but with the sails up and over a knot of current at the time it could have drifted a fair distance on the way down. Finding it in that depth could be a challenge.

I hope they do decide to recover. I would like to see what happened with the flotation, and have a closer look at that keel.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 44 Old 10-05-2019

had that similar thing happen on the Prindle cat . trap harness broke and boat capsized and floated away faster then I could swim lucky there was another boat near by and took me to the boat. 68 degree water so that was not a factor. So I am still sail but with less then 9 lives left.
10 degree water you are defiantly down to less the 9 lives left.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #43 of 44 Old 10-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
It was a fiberglass boat, but I'm not sure what company built it. He bought the boat brand new and had a lot of problems with it from day 1.
Sounds more like a fly-by-night backyard boat builder than a production firm. Insufficient ballast, not enough flotation to meet design specs, cheap rudder attachment, poorly constructed.

How old was it? Sounds like he should serve a civil lawsuit against the builder. He probably won't get any money out of it, but it might save somebody's life who might be wanting to buy another hull from that builder.

Except for the the "submarine" part of the experience, it looks like it should be a fun boat.

I notice that the only builder of the i550 I found when googling (Velocity Boatworks), no longer has an active website.

Last edited by TimMarks; 10-06-2019 at 07:32 PM.

post #44 of 44 Old 10-06-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMarks View Post
Sounds more like a fly-by-night backyard boat builder than a production firm. Insufficient ballast, not enough flotation to meet design specs, cheap rudder attachment, poorly constructed.

How old was it? Sounds like he should serve a civil lawsuit against the builder. He probably won't get any money out of it, but it might save somebody's life who might be wanting to buy another hull from that builder.

Except for the the "submarine" part of the experience, it looks like it should be a fun boat.

I notice that the only builder of the i550 I found when googling (Velocity Boatworks), no longer has an active website.
I don't know the details of the builder but apparently it took him a long time to build the boat, and even after it was shipped it was in complete. The boat LOOKED nice enough, but it seemed like a bit of a lemon. The owner had to do a ton of work to get the boat ready to sail. I'm not sure he was knowledgable enough about the design to realize how much was wrong.

Unfortunately even if the builder is still around, the evidence is lost in some pretty deep water. It is doubtful the boat will be recovered.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in